logo
View Poll Results: What's most important to you in making your decision to attend an IMAC contest?
Date - Please comment 17 22.37%
Time of year / weather 21 27.63%
Anticipated pilot count 13 17.11%
Who the CD is going to be 8 10.53%
Who the Contest “Coordinator” is going to be - if different from the CD 1 1.32%
What field the contest will be held at 32 42.11%
If there will be a Freestyle 4 5.26%
If there will be other events such as a night fly or demo 2 2.63%
If there will be a banquet / dinner 5 6.58%
Raffle and Prizes 6 7.89%
Awards / Trophies / Plaques 5 6.58%
Hotel costs for the area 15 19.74%
Availability of concessions / lunch & refreshments 7 9.21%
Sponsor List 2 2.63%
Pilot packets and give aways 4 5.26%
“Big Name” pilots in attendance 2 2.63%
Availability and willingness of help from other pilots / club members 13 17.11%
Fairness or bias in judging at the contest 28 36.84%
Outreach to new IMAC pilots 12 15.79%
Other - Please comment 13 17.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2017, 06:03 AM
Find More Posts by kwilson
Drone pilot since 1979
Jacksonville, FL
Joined May 2006
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinryans View Post
* Distance traveled. My old Dodge eats a lot of gas. So 6 hours away or less is a good start. May go more for a bigger contest. Nats, Clover Creek...

* Location. Anytime I can get down to Florida is great. Love it there. Location to me not only includes the actual field but also who is likely to be there. Lots of friends across our region and always fun to meet up with them.

* Date of contest is important. Contests too close together in a region make it more difficult on being away from the family. Three weekends in a row is hard. Not saying I wouldnt do that. Thank goodness I have a great wife. So sometimes you have to pick and choose. Luckily the SE has quite a few contests to where this can be an issue.

* I have skipped a contest because I knew a certain judge was going to be there. Regretted it when I saw the posts later about how much fun everyone had. I have mixed feelings about judging. It's not easy. Rarely see outright bias. I find it just amazing that there might be bias between one state to another or one region to another or radio brand. Shame on you guys. Special place in Hades for you guys. Maybe some unintentional bias (star struck, love the way a plane looks in the air, certain styles of flying....) natural human nature though. Probably most commonly though is just lack of ability. I dont like going to a contest and due to lack of contestants you get rounds with judges uncomfartable judging unlimited and everyone gets 8s and up. I do think most times though that the winner was the best flyer.

* Size of contest. I really like well attended events. Small contests are ok occasionally, but I like the bigger events. Much more exciting. I love pulling up to an event and seeing tents everywhere, planes stacked up waiting for a practice flight. More judges are available which makes scoring way better. I dont have to judge as much. I wish all those guys that were hot and heavy into IMAC and now dont fly at all would just quit grumbling about what they hate about it, or find all kinds of excuses for why they can't attend, and just make the effort to go to at least one or two contests a year. And just focus on the fun. We have so many non active members that if we could just get those guys for one or two events, what fun we could have.

I am guilty of wanting to quit from time to time especially after getting my butt kicked once again and taking last place. Reality is I could have flown better, my plane could be set up better.....But Monday morning I am ready to go practice some more. Cant wait for next contest. I try to find a way or reason to make it to the next contest.
+1
kwilson is offline Find More Posts by kwilson
Last edited by kwilson; 09-18-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
JR DA 215 Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,829 Posts
>>> What's most important to you in making your decision to attend an IMAC contest? <<<

My Bottom line answer, Having Funand Nothing Else Matters but that
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 12-01-2017, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by DKSnyder1
United States, CT, South Windsor
Joined Aug 2015
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post
So one of the comments on here is judging issues and here you say its fine to just bend the rules??

If it happened, I would love to know the contest(s). Thanks

Maine IMAC Challenge - 2017
One electric flier- no problem!
DKSnyder1 is offline Find More Posts by DKSnyder1
Old 11-21-2018, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by welton1720
Old Guys Rule
United States, AZ, Surprise
Joined Mar 2012
216 Posts
We can only practice the alternate at our club, and nowhere nearby to fly the roller, so it cuts down on the events that I would attend.
welton1720 is offline Find More Posts by welton1720
Old 11-22-2018, 12:24 AM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
Meeting up with old friends and having people to fly against.
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer

Quick Reply