logo
Old 04-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
You would think Pilot would put a bulletin in each kit. You guys remember getting kits that contained bulletins or builders notes describing changes or updates... they didn't change the kits, rather they let the builder change things.

Anybody ever see any bulletins or notes in a Pilot kit? I've not built a giant Pilot, but I am curious.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-07-2020, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Welcome to Costco. I love you.
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2006
4,277 Posts
I'm not an aero engineer or even very good at set-ups in general. However the cg reference is very near the wing tube, which is basically where every cg is on every aerobatic aircraft I've ever put together. For that matter every single engine, single wing propeller aircraft I've ever assembled. I mean isn't the rule of thumb 1/3 back of the wing cord? Which is generally where the wing tube is located. Why is this one different. I have a 78" pilot extra I currently fly and the cg reference is right near the wing tube. I have it balanced at that location and it flies like every other aircraft from every other manufacture.
I guess my question is why would this particular aircraft be different? Could the wing have been located in the wrong spot? I mean if that's the case, the plane would never fly well no matter how well balanced...???

as a side note. looking at pilot's cg document noted above, all of the 107" aircraft have cg 200+mm from the leading edge with the exception of the v2 edge which is 141mm. That seems strange, no?
lxcoupe is offline Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Last edited by lxcoupe; 04-07-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by nachodkn
Joined Jun 2006
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
You would think Pilot would put a bulletin in each kit. You guys remember getting kits that contained bulletins or builders notes describing changes or updates... they didn't change the kits, rather they let the builder change things.

Anybody ever see any bulletins or notes in a Pilot kit? I've not built a giant Pilot, but I am curious.
I recently built a pilot rc edge v3 78" and there was a note with the correct CG inside the fuselage box.
nachodkn is offline Find More Posts by nachodkn
Old 04-07-2020, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
LX - the straight leading edge of the Edge moves the CG further forward than a wing with a dual taper.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 04-07-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
690 Posts
It sounds to me the fuse cg was marked for a standard double taper wing and used as another design of plane. Lazer? Then the fuse was reused as an edge and the markings weren’t updated.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 04-09-2020, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by Memo Lomeli
United States, TX, McAllen
Joined Mar 2006
643 Posts
In my point of view is unacceptable that the factory knowing the CG showed on the fuse is incorrect dont fix it or at least include a bulletin inside the plane, hope you have a response from Pilot about this.
Memo Lomeli is offline Find More Posts by Memo Lomeli
Old 04-09-2020, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by Mooney 78865
Joined Dec 2018
33 Posts
For what it's worth, I fly a 107" Pilot Extra 330sc. As you can see in the picture the CG location is AFT of the wing tube. I have at least a couple hundred flights on mine and actually run the CG further back than that by about 10mm.
There was no instructions in the kit, the only thing that gave me an indication about CG was in one of the bags of goodies there were 2 dowels marked "CG pins". A little searching in the fuse and there you go.
I'm running two rudder servos and struggled to get the CG forward enough. Just recently I relocated the two flight packs as far forward as possible and removed some weight out of the nose.
I can't imagine having to add weight to the rear of the aircraft. Even running headers and canisters I need weight up front.
Mooney 78865 is offline Find More Posts by Mooney 78865
Last edited by Mooney 78865; 04-09-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
Mooney, I'm seeing small holes(maybe the size of the "CG pins"?), just below the CG indicator, on the inboard structure, and also some hole on the outboard area(inside the fuse of course)...

I'm just wondering if you discovered a correlation to the CG pins, and those holes, maybe that, eluding to using the holes and pins were there originally to balance your plane. It stands to reason of course, and you might be onto something with the 330 you have.... and obviously it seems there wasn't info or bulletin in your manual either about CG. I do know first hand you've went to great lengths, and many flights to hone your CG, as well as many other aspects... regardless of what a manual might say. I also know your plane is flying very well.

I'm curious now though about the structure and landmarks in the OP's Edge, and if there was any other indicators on that particular plane. Very interesting indeed.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 07-20-2020, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by Vinnie6
Joined Mar 2009
30 Posts
I have the 78 inch Extra 330 SC. I too have the CG pins and holes in the fuse AND in wing rib #1. Since the hole is in the wing too, I assumed you balance with wings and canopy on. I tied string around the pins and put the wings and canopy on. The string comes up from between the fuse and wing. Simply lift by string. Is this what you guys did too? Mine is actually a little nose heavy but it flies great so.
Vinnie6 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnie6
Old 07-29-2020, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by lobopat
United States, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Aug 2013
62 Posts
edge v3

I have the same plane and it flys very well, my batterys are in front of the wing tube and fuel tank. balanced on the first try it does have a heavy tail section with the rudder servoes in the tail as mine is but it is not tail heavy that way. The only damage I have had is hitting a tree repaierd and back to flying.
Pilot has sence stoped production of the model the 100cc gear from redwing rc fit.
lobopat is offline Find More Posts by lobopat
Old 08-08-2020, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by saintcreed
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2008
63 Posts
Yup.......been/there......done/that.........same air-frame...Put together one 2 years ago for a fellow club member. Balancing it on the marked CG markings made the plane very very tail heavy. The minute he got it airborne I could see that it was tail heavy 'cause when he applied up elevator for take off, it went vertical. The flight lasted all of 45 seconds. Found out later by checking here on FG that the CG marking were way off. 1 1/2-2" to far aft.
That same year I got the 70cc version and it was also missed marked, to far aft. Only my experience got it down with a hard harrier landing that only cracked the landing gear area. The correct balance on that frame, by trail and error, is around 4 7/8- 5" from the leading edge at the root.
saintcreed is offline Find More Posts by saintcreed

Quick Reply