ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-16-2018, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by rdgood
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jan 2006
2,059 Posts
I worked at NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View CA.
Weirdly enough - I was based at Moffett Field Naval Air Station for six years sleeping in the barracks right across from the Supersonic wind tunnel. It would sound like a giant airgun going off. Very Loud..

I didn't realize then - but I remember watching all the cool airplanes fly over head like the U2, then they were various airplanes I don't know the names of... One with the jet engines on top of the wing.
There was looked like a Chipmunk with a crazy long muffler system on it - super quiet. Spent alt of time watching a lot of planes in the sky.
This was in the 85 thru 91....

Didn't realize it then..
I was so lucky...

I got out of the Navy in 91 - studied at San Jose State/De Anza Jr. college while interning at NASA Ames Research Center. till summer of 93. Got to work in 80X120, 40X80 several other smaller tunnels and a water flow loop. Right before I left, I helped develop a smoke particulate generator for a Canadair project - Super sonic hover capable prototype. Weird concept vehicle that was on the full scale gantry that was out on east end the facility near the run way.

It was the only I truly loved doing....

I didn't feel like work. It was fun and challenging. Didn't pay worth crap -but I really didn't care at the time.

I was Soooo damn Lucky!!!!

Ronster

Spent some six years on the Naval Base being in what felt like my element. being around the bleeding edge of aviation. Also being totally exhausted from flying on the P3 Orions…(Avionics Technician).

Anyway lucked into a Intern position at NASA wind tunnel Flow Vis group - The lead PH'd left right before I came on. So I got to work in various wind tunnels. I think there about 7 or more there.

I went back to visit - the Naval Base.

Hangar #1 is a skeleton. The base is basically mothballed - no P3's are around at all. Buildings are deriorating. Sad...

Oh,
I did spend a lot of time at the model building.
Bunch of RC glider guys making carbon props and such...so Jealous...
what an awesome environment.
Almost all of the great advances in aviation started with a model of something.

I know it has basically nothing to do with CFD...

Ronster
rdgood is offline Find More Posts by rdgood
Last edited by rdgood; 07-16-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by japan3d
Mr. Cessna
Japan, Ibaraki-ken, Sashima-gun
Joined Jan 2006
2,472 Posts
I was at Moffett from 87-94. I believe the the plane with the jet engines on top of the wing was called QSRA. Was fun watching the approach, the elevator would move from stop to stop.The chipmunk looking plane also had a wooden prop with huge blades.
japan3d is offline Find More Posts by japan3d
Last edited by japan3d; 07-17-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by rdgood
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jan 2006
2,059 Posts
Yep it did...I got to see it ion the hangar with the top part of the fuse removed. Quite a long exhaust system...

Ronster
rdgood is offline Find More Posts by rdgood

Quick Reply