logo
Old 09-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by George Silva
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Discussion
FUTABA T-18SZ 70TH ANNIVERSARY RADIO

I think Futaba has a winner with this radio. I linked it to my 35% Comp/Arf 260 last weekend. I like using a airplane that is more replaceable than my 42% Daltons for a test bed. I must say this transmitter has a new feel that is unlike any other Futaba. It feels heavier and the gimbals are so smooth it keeps me from crowding into the other controls. The new chrome face plate is not a glare problem. I think this new radio will be the flagship for Futaba. Yes it needs a few refinements like being able to lock the screen without having to do it everytime you turn it on and perhaps some new programs.
George Silva is offline Find More Posts by George Silva
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-05-2018, 12:30 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Awesome radio... dont really have any criticism at all except for the pricing.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 09-05-2018, 12:44 PM
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails View Post
Awesome radio... dont really have any criticism at all except for the pricing.
I have to agree with you, that is a lot of extra bucks for aluminum gimbals and a chrome face cover. I don't understand why Futaba got away from locking the screen until you decided to unlock it. I always disliked that feature on my T-18SZ, because my neck strap touched my screen on one occasion and disabled my rudder to rudder in the mixing menu.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by VinceY
That guy
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Feb 2006
734 Posts
Are you using one Bradley?
VinceY is offline Find More Posts by VinceY
Old 09-05-2018, 06:04 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
No, the cost is just too big a pill for me to swallow... but I see the attraction to the improved gimbals.

Having tried Jeti, Spektrum, Taranis, and Futaba flags throughout the last year or so, I am really satisfied with the 16sz and love the feel. Having said that, if it were a reasonable cost to upgrade gimbals, I would likely make the jump.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 09-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails View Post
No, the cost is just too big a pill for me to swallow... but I see the attraction to the improved gimbals.

Having tried Jeti, Spektrum, Taranis, and Futaba flags throughout the last year or so, I am really satisfied with the 16sz and love the feel. Having said that, if it were a reasonable cost to upgrade gimbals, I would likely make the jump.
I don't think Futaba will sell those gimbals for upgrading existing radios. I recall reading something about Futaba will not replace any damaged aluminum gimbals on their new T-18SZ 70th Anniversary transmitter. I have a T-18SZ as a backup radio and would also like to upgrade it to aluminum gimbals.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:52 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
I sincerely doubt we will see these gimbals being available as an replacement for the regular 18SZ gimbals.

I have not had a chance to feel these new gimbals. I need another radio like I need a divorce right now so I'll have to hope I run into someone with one.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 09-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
895 Posts
I've been comparing gimbals lately too - I've found the upgrade Taranis (hall effect) gimbals to be on par with my 18SZ which are my favorites - the Taranis has a slightly better range of adjustment. I'd absolutely love an upgrade to the 16SZ gimbals, They aren't exactly bad, but when you swap back and forth they really stand out. I'd really like to see the aluminum gimbals as an upgrade too, but I think Judge is right, Futaba doesn't roll that way.
Desertrat is offline Find More Posts by Desertrat
Old 09-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrat View Post
I've been comparing gimbals lately too - I've found the upgrade Taranis (hall effect) gimbals to be on par with my 18SZ which are my favorites - the Taranis has a slightly better range of adjustment. I'd absolutely love an upgrade to the 16SZ gimbals, They aren't exactly bad, but when you swap back and forth they really stand out. I'd really like to see the aluminum gimbals as an upgrade too, but I think Judge is right, Futaba doesn't roll that way.
Futaba has priced the new 70th Anniversary SZ with the aluminum gimbals $1000.00 more than the non-anniversary SZ. I can tell you it is well worth the additional cost. The aluminum gimbals blow away all other Futaba gimbals even the ones on the T-18MZ. I fly IMAC and with this new transmitter I have a advantage.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:40 PM View Post
Esprit Model
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Over-competition). Show it to me anyway.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Go. Away. Jeti. TROLL!!
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 09-19-2018, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
I can call Dominos Pizza and order a pizza for 12.99 if I wanted something that resembles a pizza box!
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 09-19-2018, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
Better yet ZB, send me your top of the line Jeti radio system to demo. I want to see if it feels better than my 18mz. I’ll give it a fair shake.
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 09-19-2018, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by ajflys
NO not that AJ
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Jul 2014
109 Posts
My dad flies Jeti, loves the hell out of em. When I fly his models I use his radios. As such I feel like I HAVE given jeti a fair shake. I would gladly pay 18MZ price for a standard 18sz, then use Jeti for free.

It boggles the mind how you continue to undo the good PR work that Manny and Danny do for Jeti by being....yourself.

A.J.
ajflys is offline Find More Posts by ajflys
Old 09-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Silva View Post
Futaba has priced the new 70th Anniversary SZ with the aluminum gimbals $1000.00 more than the non-anniversary SZ. I can tell you it is well worth the additional cost. The aluminum gimbals blow away all other Futaba gimbals even the ones on the T-18MZ. I fly IMAC and with this new transmitter I have a advantage.

Personally, I dont see it, but thats me. 1k is a lot of cheddar to spend on an aluminum gimbal assembly which we can assume houses the same pots - but I really dont want to get into the whole hall effect debate.

Glad you like them - and if you think they were worth it, that is really all that matters.

Oh, and FWIW, the gimbals on the normal 18SZ are the same as the 18MZ.
Desertrat is offline Find More Posts by Desertrat

Quick Reply