Old 02-06-2019, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post
???
I'm reading all the various good points and my idea of what works keeps changing.
I agree the BOD may not go for a 2% bonus and after mulling it over, I wonder if I even would.
I am almost leaning towards just leading by example. get others to do the same and show the "IMAC World" that there are really good alternatives to $10,000 40% planes out there. I think there might be a lot of push back on the 2% thing and on the way home today it dawned on me that its more fun beating up on 40%ers when I don't get a 2% kickback than when I do...and they can't say I had any unfair advantage.
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 05:23 PM
Find More Posts by djmoose
Lowlife
Macedonia, OH
Joined Mar 2010
600 Posts
I don't think there is a need for a bonus for 35% or smaller. The bonus is beating someone who spent WAY more money than you did.
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
If we want MORE IMAC participation.... we gotta make it more Funner'er!!

IMHO

I have day dreamed about an aerobatic "IMAC'ish" event using the sequences from FAI Pattern!!

I like the 2 meter electric category....
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Last edited by Mithrandir; 02-06-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by Mooney 78865
Joined Dec 2018
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
If we want MORE IMAC participation.... we gotta make it more Funner'er!!

IMHO

I have day dreamed about an aerobatic "IMAC'ish" event using the sequences from FAI Pattern!!

I like the 2 meter electric category....
I think it's there to do. But Pattern is suffering every bit as much with participation as IMAC. I believe there are proposed rule changes to AMA Pattern, to limiting the size of aircraft in the first three entry level classes. In my opinion, a mistake.
As I said earlier, if it is economically reachable, and the class allows it, by all means, fly it. Be it a 40% IMAC, or a full 2 meter Pattern ship. If that is what gets an individual to the point of competing, hell yeah, fly it! Participation is the goal.
Mooney 78865 is offline Find More Posts by Mooney 78865
Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
I don't think there is a need for a bonus for 35% or smaller. The bonus is beating someone who spent WAY more money than you did.
I just really like that thought...thanks
Old 02-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
Its about helping some of the people that fly 3D with 35% planes or smaller that feel that they cannot compete with the guys flying 40% planes for precision. It's not about how you or I may feel about beating the pants off of the guys flying larger planes, its about getting more people already flying 35% planes that are not competing.
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 02-07-2019, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by flyracer
Wanna Be 3D Pilot
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
1,013 Posts
I agree... there're a lot of pilots out there flying 35% setups that we want in IMAC
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old 02-07-2019, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Team JR Propo
Antarctica
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Look at how many kids and younger generation start off with their first big planes being in the 30-50cc range and some the 100 -120cc size. That is your target group! The ones that have the smaller planes that feel their airplane is less competitive. The guys who have the big “precision” setups can them share their knowledge and help the newbies!
Surfer Dude is offline Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Old 02-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
IMAC NE RD
United States, VA, Gainesville
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
Outside of talking about much fun the contests are and how much better a pilot it makes you, what are some other tactics people use to convince 35% mostly 3D people to come out and try? The guys in my club are very supportive of me and IMAC, but they have zero interest in doing it themselves. It's all 3D or circles.

I'm always met with "I'm not good enough," or" I don't have time to practice." I explain how Basic works, how much fun it is to be in the contests, and how much better your 3D flying will be with simply flying straight and level, correcting for wind, and using the rudder. The response is usually "How can I do a better pop-top?"
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old 02-07-2019, 01:31 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheliflyer View Post
Its about helping some of the people that fly 3D with 35% planes or smaller that feel that they cannot compete with the guys flying 40% planes for precision. It's not about how you or I may feel about beating the pants off of the guys flying larger planes, its about getting more people already flying 35% planes that are not competing.
Well...I agree in part. Its really important to help those who have an interest and along with that, demonstrating that 35% planes have the potential to be competitive. I personally prefer to be able to show them that what they fly has potential by helping them with setup and a host of other things IMAC related. Its all important to me.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
IMAC NE RD
United States, VA, Gainesville
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
I don't find the 35% part to be a big road block with the other members at my club. I started with a 91" Extra and did very well in my contests last year (Won Basic, then close 2nd after moving up), so they see it's not all about the big planes. There is one other guy at my old club that flies large gas planes, and he and I talk and text about setup all the time. He's still not interested in IMAC. It's all 3D. He doesn't feel he's good enough to try.

It will be interesting at my new club. The old one lost its field to a solar farm. The new one has a lot more big gas flyers. Problem there, however, is I know there a few burnt-out IMAC people. Hopefully, I can convince them to come back.

Full disclosure: My plan for this season was to get a 35% plane for the contests after last season was cut short due to a concussion. While I was researching a good plane, a 40% Dalton came available, and I bought it in a weak moment. Maybe I wasn't fully recovered from my concussion? Anyway, I'm putting all the gear in that plane for this upcoming season. I'm looking forward to it.
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old 02-07-2019, 10:18 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
IMAC has been an enjoyable journey for me so far. It seems there is no end to what we can learn, modifications we can do, flying techniques we can pick up, good friends we get along the way.
I'm not so much in it to win it but that's nice too when it happens. I mostly just have fun at it.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:47 AM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
Here's the reality of things..

Just try something. Anything. Want a 2% bonus for 35% and smaller? Try it. See what happens. See what people say after the event is over. Hell, run scoring concurrently with and without a bonus. See how the final results shake out.

Back in the days before the Intermediate class was a thing, a few of us out on the west coast thought it was a necessary stepping stone. IMAC leadership trashed us incessantly, but guys like Paul (FGNewbie), Barry Wegman, and Bill (Judge) said "screw it" and tried it anyway. Not only did it work in its intended goal, but it was VERY popular, and ultimately IMAC adopted it.

There is NOTHING to be lost by experimentation, and everything to gain. If it doesn't work, at least you've answered the question of whether it works or not.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 02-08-2019, 09:16 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Makes great sense to me Shaker. Most of the replies on here (if not all ) are by those with ideas, but no time or inclination. I am looking for ideas better than my own, and then decide a course of
action. Personally, I'm running a small business that is running me silly and I experienced a very real tragedy in my life thats taken some of my fire away. Hopefully, the best ideas will rise to the top and with some assistance we can effect some really great improvements.

Quick Reply