logo
Old 06-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by Sean Worthington
Joined Oct 2014
18 Posts
Discussion
Jet Airfoil Advice

I am doing some basic research into a large scale jet project (approx 110" length, 70" wingspan) and was hoping to get some general airfoil advice to point me in the right direction as I get started.

I am looking into modeling a YF-23 which has a very low aspect ratio trapezoidal wing with significant lifting area in the fuselage. Looking at the full scale drawings, it seems to be a very thin almost symmetrical section. Moderate top speed with a bias towards scale-like take off and landings would be my goal. I would plan to flap and probably leading edge slat the wing outboard of the nacells like the full scale.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sean Worthington is offline Find More Posts by Sean Worthington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
The thin'ness of the wing doesn't give you a lot of airfoil wiggle room...
Leading edge devices determine the extent of laminar flow...
Flaps with enough deflection to create significant lift will likely require leading edge devices to achieve an aircraft attitude for landings that is nose high... in otherwirds... land on the main gear first...
Send me your wing planform, with anticipated aileron and flap dimensions and I will take a stab at conjuring a suitable airfoil for you..... weights and estimated speeds would help too... like estimated or preferred stall speed....
stroup@ga.com
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 06-06-2018, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by Sean Worthington
Joined Oct 2014
18 Posts
Thanks Mithrandir. It will be a little bit for me to work those up, but I will send them along. Thanks for the help!

Guessing from your location, I imagine you are associated with the "industry" down in the high desert?
Sean Worthington is offline Find More Posts by Sean Worthington
Old 06-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Worthington View Post
Thanks Mithrandir. It will be a little bit for me to work those up, but I will send them along. Thanks for the help!

Guessing from your location, I imagine you are associated with the "industry" down in the high desert?
I just started 25 years ago!!

Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir

Quick Reply