logo
Old 09-17-2019, 12:24 AM
Find More Posts by CHUCK
TUCSON,AZ.
Joined Oct 2006
1,171 Posts
So glad all were uninjured. Still had a fist pump at the end. It's so cool seeing that.
Yes it sux that Draco is gone. But so glad they walked away
CHUCK is offline Find More Posts by CHUCK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-17-2019, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by Ozmodeller
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jun 2008
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw87 View Post
On the plus side no one was apparently hurt.
Not entirely true, I believe his wife had a broken fingernail.
Ozmodeller is offline Find More Posts by Ozmodeller
Old 09-17-2019, 08:24 PM
Find More Posts by ktm fanatic
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined Sep 2016
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceY View Post
And weíre upset when we crash an RC plane. He had thousands of hours invested in building Draco and who knows how much money. What a shame. Tough loss.
Saw a video where he said dollars invested was a million plus.
ktm fanatic is online now Find More Posts by ktm fanatic
Old 09-17-2019, 10:23 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
4,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceY View Post
And weíre upset when we crash an RC plane. He had thousands of hours invested in building Draco and who knows how much money. What a shame. Tough loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm fanatic View Post
Saw a video where he said dollars invested was a million plus.
Said that did not include his time which he valued a $1.00 an hour which would raise the price by $3000.00, that's a whole bunch of work.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 09-17-2019, 11:09 PM
Find More Posts by qmulus
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitatio
Arvada, CO
Joined Sep 2007
520 Posts
I have been following Mike Patey's videos since he started Draco and am always super impressed by how much he is able to get done, and how totally un-intimidated he seems to be by any task. Oh, let's build some custom carbon fiber wing tanks in a few days, or totally redesign the undercarriage; not to mention all that was done to put in the turbine. Amazing. All I could think of was NOOOOO!! when I saw the title of that video. I really doubt that we have seen the last of Draco though.

I wonder if he will postpone Scrappy now or really step into high gear on it. I can't imagine a guy like him without something really cool to fly for long.

Let's get to work!
qmulus is offline Find More Posts by qmulus
Old 09-18-2019, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,506 Posts
okay going to post something unpopular.... just 5 days prior he was notified he was no longer allowed to fly draco in any exhibitions, none at all... no one would insure it... the dude has 1000's of hours... i have only a fraction of that and i knew from the video start it was a poor decision to fly... the gusts were over 40kts... he knows that airplane better than that and to even attempt that. not saying it was intentional i would never say that, but things just line up way too much for this to just be an accident. any pilot ever, would NEVER takeoff with a cross wind like that... he already said Draco is going on the shelf for now, due to money and lack of insurance. he is well into scrappy anyway which will be much easier to insure. this may have just been a fitting farewell for Draco since he was no longer able to fly it for what its intended purpose was...

again sorry for the unpopular opinion... just thinking out loud with some pilot buddies about this and we all LOVED that airplane.
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 09-18-2019, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,341 Posts
Was he alone in the plane ??
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy082662 View Post
Was he alone in the plane ??
No his wife was on board... which reinforced the issue... if you have gusts 90 degrees to runway heading that are higher than your stall speed why attempt it with your wife on board???

Iíll admit he did a great job of owning it in the video and took all the blame... it just should have never happened
Old 09-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by qmulus
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitatio
Arvada, CO
Joined Sep 2007
520 Posts
Actually, I believe his wife and a friend were on board. They were all shown in a picture with the wreckage.

Draco is/was an amazing plane showing what can be done even if it is not a terribly practical. Mike is an incredible engineer and craftsman and I hope that he keeps pushing the envelope with what can be done with his planes. I am sure that he is and will be doing a lot of reflection on all of this. I do hope that he will continue to make videos of his builds as they are very inspiring.
qmulus is offline Find More Posts by qmulus
Last edited by qmulus; 09-19-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by why_fly_high
100% EDGE Builder
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jan 2006
1,452 Posts
Fortunately the tuition for that lesson was only money. Not going to Monday morning quarterback the guy. He messed up and admits it. One thing I thought interesting though in his video is he said there was a crosswind runway but it was a ways down and he was having trouble taxiing.
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old 09-18-2019, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by torquen
Lodi, Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,597 Posts
That’s pretty crappy to think he is committing insurance fraud. Cmon. The guy is not some low life. He is a self made hard working and very talented millionaire.
I highly doubt he put his wife and best friends life in jeopardy to get a paycheck.

He could have sold that plane to so many people around the world that would pay triple what it’s worth. Also you can insure anything you want. It’s just a matter of how much you want to pay. Obviously the insurance on Draco was not going to be the same as a 1940’s Cessna 140 but I’m sure he could afford it.

Really crappy view point.
torquen is offline Find More Posts by torquen
Old 09-18-2019, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by JuStOnE
1988 IAC Unlimited Champion
United States, PA, Lumberville
Joined Jul 2013
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
okay going to post something unpopular.... just 5 days prior he was notified he was no longer allowed to fly draco in any exhibitions, none at all... no one would insure it... the dude has 1000's of hours... i have only a fraction of that and i knew from the video start it was a poor decision to fly... the gusts were over 40kts... he knows that airplane better than that and to even attempt that. not saying it was intentional i would never say that, but things just line up way too much for this to just be an accident. any pilot ever, would NEVER takeoff with a cross wind like that... he already said Draco is going on the shelf for now, due to money and lack of insurance. he is well into scrappy anyway which will be much easier to insure. this may have just been a fitting farewell for Draco since he was no longer able to fly it for what its intended purpose was...

again sorry for the unpopular opinion... just thinking out loud with some pilot buddies about this and we all LOVED that airplane.
Matt....???? Mike admitted he screwed up. You've never done anything stupid eh? You been smoking weed too much!
Earle
JuStOnE is online now Find More Posts by JuStOnE
Old 09-18-2019, 01:44 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquen View Post
Thatís pretty crappy to think he is committing insurance fraud. Cmon. The guy is not some low life. He is a self made hard working and very talented millionaire.
I highly doubt he put his wife and best friends life in jeopardy to get a paycheck.

He could have sold that plane to so many people around the world that would pay triple what itís worth. Also you can insure anything you want. Itís just a matter of how much you want to pay. Obviously the insurance on Draco was not going to be the same as a 1940ís Cessna 140 but Iím sure he could afford it.

Really crappy view point.
if the guy that built the airplane couldn't afford insurance why would any other average joe be able to afford it... i said it was un popular view point but it is the common one right now in the aviation community and he is very very well respected... it doesn't matter how much you pay for it if they were going to drop his insurance (which he admitted was already $40,000 a year) who else could ever afford that? no one! not at all saying it was intentional and he owned his mistakes but one has to question... if you couldn't even taxi the airplane to the runway, why try to takeoff?
Old 09-18-2019, 01:47 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuStOnE View Post
Matt....???? Mike admitted he screwed up. You've never done anything stupid eh? You been smoking weed too much!
Earle
oh no i have messed up alot! there are a few landings i am glad that i walked away from but if i admittedly had an issue keeping the airplane straight while i taxied to the runway, and i had wind gusts blowing higher than the stall speed of said aircraft at a 90 degree angle.... there is something wrong.... Mike addressed this in the video said what events lead up to it and that he should have taxied back... there are just more than a few looking at the coincidence of being denied the ability to fly the airplane at events anymore... then magically when you head home from the event you were told to not fly at... the airplane is involved in a low speed crash... again i would not ever accuse anyone but there are more than a few people that are interested in it.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by kjkimball
Florida
Joined May 2006
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
... if they were going to drop his insurance (which he admitted was already $40,000 a year) ...
The way I understand the info from BEFORE the groundloop shared with the world by Mike Patey, the plane is insured and would continue to be insured as long as he didn’t compete in STOL events or races. His coverage doesn’t cover those events and due to the extremely high hull value of Draco, the coverage to race would go up to around $48k a year. I have not read what his current premium is without racing and competing. Not worth it to him for a few event ribbons and bragging. So, just a cool plane he was gonna enjoy.

Same sort of thing with airplanes used for personal flying as compared to airshows or competition. When we had our model 12, adding airshow and competition coverage doubled the annual insurance premium. It was around $5k a year on a $175k plane. Doesn’t seem too far off that a $1.5m plane would be 10x the premium of a pitts.
kjkimball is offline Find More Posts by kjkimball

Quick Reply