logo
Old 04-26-2020, 06:15 PM
Find More Posts by don szczur
Joined May 2009
131 Posts
Discussion
Setting up rate switches on Spektrum radios

A few were setting up their planes preparing for their first season of Advanced class. There are both snap rolls and spins in this sequence. They asked for some assistance setting up rates on their Spektrum.

Here is a summary on how to set up dual rates, expo and function curves on Spektrum transmitters. Here is how to do this for setting up a plane with these setups on one switch.

In this example, I used a Spektrum DX-6e, with switch G since it is a three position switch. I set up position 0 as standard flight conditions, switch position 1 for snap rolls, and switch position 2 for spins.

Picture 1 is DX 6e transmitter display within the basic menu item for setting up dual rates and expo. A few things to point out. The screen shows channel (aileron), curve (1), rate (default 100), expo (default 0) and switch (default on).

Picture 2. Scroll down to switch and select the switch you want to use to set up your dual rate. I selected switch G because it is a three position switch and I want a single switch to access my snap and spin conditions. With the physical switch position in 0, you notice the 0 is highlighted and the 1 and 2 are not. It also shows curve 0. This is the default.

Picture 3. Scroll to the dual rate and expo settings and adjust. I prefer my plane to be mechanically set up so that I have about 15 degrees to 18 degrees of aileron throw at 100 percent, and my normal flying at 50% and an expo of 15%. Adjust to your preference. A key test is the amount of roll to cleanly execute a half roll at the top of an Immelmann turn, for example.

Picture 4. Next, physically move the switch to position 1 (center) and the screen should look as shown. The center position 1 should be highlighted and curve 1. This is snap roll rate, for me. I normally use more aileron to snap roll. Also notice the increase in expo to correspond with the extra throw. This allows the plane to feel the same around neutral stick when flying, with most extra control reserved for the snap roll maneuver itself.

Picture 5. Next, physically move the switch to position 2, and the screen should look as shown. The position 2 should be highlighted and curve 2 displayed. This is my spin rate. I normally use slightly less or the same aileron for a spin, but it depends on the model.

Picture 6 through 10. Next, physically move the switch back to position 0, scroll up to select aileron and change to elevator. Do the exact same procedures as above to set up your elevator rates. In my case I use less elevator for snap condition and more elevator for spin condition.

Picture 11 through 14. Next, physically move the switch back to position 0, scroll up to select elevator and change to rudder. Do the exact same procedures as above to set up your rudder rates. In my case I use less rudder for snap condition and more rudder for spin condition. I also use significantly more expo on rudder than I do on elevator or aileron. The reason I do this is to more smoothly blend in rudder during point rolls and wind correction, while leaving extra throw for stall turns and spin entries.

Finally, picture 15 shows a practical example of adjusting directions to reflect each condition unique to your airplane preferences. In this instance, I added more down elevator to be able to snap more cleanly in position 1 (snap rate) for negative snaps. My plane snaps cleanly with the amount for positive but needs additional down elevator for negative snaps. Also notice the corresponding increase in expo for this condition, so the stick feel around neutral feels the same at all three rates, whether I be getting ready for a snap entry, easing in to a spin entry, or making slight rudder corrections at the top of a loop prior to moving the switch for a snap in the avalanche.

The above guidelines are for pilot setting up your airplane.

Good luck!
don szczur is offline Find More Posts by don szczur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-26-2020, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by tobytorkn
peebles
Joined Jan 2006
664 Posts
Good write up Don!
tobytorkn is offline Find More Posts by tobytorkn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message