logo
Old 09-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
Re: OMP Yak 55

Here are some pictures of the cans set up. Will have more pics later.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

Here are some more photos that I had on my computer.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by Mike Anderson
ago involo ergo sum
Ottawa Ontario Canada
Joined Jun 2007
212 Posts
Height Clearances?

Trying to figure out if I can transport the Yak SP-55m in my car. I'm looking for 2 critical dimensions - see attachment. I had to kinda skew the dimension lines because of the photo perspective, but I think you get the idea.

While resting on the ground, I need the ground to cowl top dimension & ground to rudder top dimension.
Mike Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mike Anderson
Old 10-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by Salmon
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts
Re: Height Clearances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
Trying to figure out if I can transport the Yak SP-55m in my car. I'm looking for 2 critical dimensions - see attachment. I had to kinda skew the dimension lines because of the photo perspective, but I think you get the idea.

While resting on the ground, I need the ground to cowl top dimension & ground to rudder top dimension.
Good question Mike. The height from the ground to to top of the rudder and the top of the cowling are the same and are 24.5". Let me know if you need any other information.

Mike
Salmon is offline Find More Posts by Salmon
Old 10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

Mike I am still trying to get pictures of the canister setup. I came down with sickness Friday afternoon and still had to work this past weekend and still sick!!! Hopefully this week I will find time! School is being a beast!
Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

Here are some photos of the canister setup for the Yak 55. I am running 3W canisters on this plane with a 3w100.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

Here are some pictures from this past weekends contest. We won freestyle with the OMP Yak 55. And no Brittany didnt fly. But she told me to get lower lol!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid View Post
Here are some pictures from this past weekends contest. We won freestyle with the OMP Yak 55. And no Brittany didnt fly. But she told me to get lower lol!
Kevin that is awesome! Did anyone get any video of your freestyle routine? I'd love to see it.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon View Post
Kevin that is awesome! Did anyone get any video of your freestyle routine? I'd love to see it.
I dont think they did But if it shows up Ill let you know. Ill def get the one I do at regionals on video.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by javierkc
Humacao, Puerto Rico
Joined Feb 2009
450 Posts

Hi! I just got a Yak 55 from OMP and installed a Mintor 110cc with a 28x10 Carbon Fiber PT prop. I was amazed with the Yak performance and felt very confidence even in the maiden flight, a total of seven 10 minutes flights were given to the plane yesterday. After the second flight I noticed that one of the mufflers was starting to became loose and obiously to tighten the bolts I had to remove the cowling, as you other owners of this plane knows the cowling is attached to the fuselage with six screws that are invisible from the outside, to remove the top two you have to take out the canopy, to remove the mid two you have to remove the wings and wing tube (if the palne is fully mounted, this is time consuming) and for the bottom two you can have access from the inside of the cowling, well I decided to eliminate the two screws in the mid section, and replaced them with carbon fiber dowels, so I removed the blind nuts from the cowling, installed with CA glue the dowels and enlaged the fuselage openings a little bit with a drill bit, now when I installed the cowling, I just put it in place and it keeps in place with the dowels and it's much easier to install the top and bottom screws, I checked the cowling and it keeps safely in place with only 4 screws.
javierkc is offline Find More Posts by javierkc
Old 11-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts

Nice idea! I've been there myself with loose mufflers. Use some locktight on the bolts and that will prevent them coming loose in the future.........well most of the time. Also you should regularly check the cowl ring to fiberglass cowling glue joints around the remaining four bolts as now the vibrations and stresses are more focused on thos four versus all six original bolts.

So how does that Mintor 110 run so far? have not read too much on those engines.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Humacao, Puerto Rico
Joined Feb 2009
450 Posts

Salmon: Thanks for the tip! what I do to prevent the screws to became loose is to install a small silicone washer that I made from a silicone fuel tubing and put 1/2 a drop of locktite 242, I also use this method for the canopy bolts but without the locktite and never had a problem, what you say about the cowling ring it's true you always have to check that, including this plane I have three birds with this method, apparently the factory glue this ring to the fiberglass with epoxy or CA and eventually they became loose. About the Mintor, I decided to buy it over DA or 3W just for the Machining and the beauty of the motor, but in my research I find that the engine (according to Mintor) has 12.7 HP that is the highest hp in a 100cc class engine in the market and according to Bill at Dietrich Aircraft this company is owned by an Italian gentleman who worked for Ferrari about 25 years as a machinist or some kind of chief in the machinist department. I can tell you that I own a DA 85cc and a 3W 170cc and the beauty and quality of contruction is way over any brand that I had saw in the past, beetween DA and 3W I preffer 3W by far, the Mintor has two piston rings like 3W's so you can expect much higher compression that a DA, The engine starts cold with the choke on in about 8 to 10 flips and after you open the choke in about 2 or 3 flips, I gave it two 32oz tanks in the floor before the Maiden as the instructions suggest, and only closed the low needle a little bit just to get a better throttle response from idle to mid range, I did not touched the High needle and the engine is running rich at low and hight setting. I installed a 28x10 Carbon Fiber PT Prop from Troy Built Models and it's swinging this prop at 6,000 rpm with this needle setting (not bad) a guy in Youtube has this engine with cannisters with a 28x10 and its giving 6,849 RPM's if I can get 6,400 with mufflers after the break in I will be happy, anyway the engine sounds great! It pulls like a train, with unlimited verticals and at least with 6 to 7 flights that I gave last sunday, I can say that this is a hell of an engine at the same price of a DA 100cc!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Humacao, Puerto Rico
Joined Feb 2009
450 Posts

Salmon: sorry when you say to install locktite to the screws you were reffering to the muffler screws, I thought you were reffering to the cowling screws. I have heard that locktite made a threadlocker for hi-temp applications but I have never seen it. Anyone have seen it?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts

Yep! Thread lock on the muffler bolts is pretty much a must. I just get blue and red locktite at the local autoparts store. Use blue locktite all teh time unless I have a stubborn area and then use the red.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by choopi
New Brunswick
Joined Jan 2008
242 Posts

What a nice plane, I would like one with a BME 116 7955 all around. To bad the shipping to Canada is not much of an option. Worst is that I was in Cleveland 3 weeks ago, flying a Bell 412 helicopter back home. Subscribed
choopi is offline Find More Posts by choopi

Quick Reply