logo
Old 06-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by excel86
He would make a lovely corpse"
Seattle, WA
Joined Sep 2008
39 Posts
brand new dle 55 hard start

Hey all. Ive read the dle 55 book a few times and have done what is suggested many times over again. It has spark, its getting gas, has anyone else had problems with this new design? If you have any tips they would be greatly appreciated. This is my first gas engine so i can imagine i am doing things wrong. where should the throttle stick be and such. again thanks.
excel86 is offline Find More Posts by excel86
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by JMag
Chesapeake, Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Re: brand new dle 55 hard start

That's unusual? Mine started right up, and still's pretty easy to start. I never touched the needles until I'd run about two gallons of fuel through it. There's be a lot of posts about the "stock" cm-6 knock off plug being garbage. I'd try changing this first. I've been running my knock off cm-6 with no issues, but several guys at the field have had issues. Good luck

Jon
JMag is offline Find More Posts by JMag
Old 06-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by tomatocan
Montrose, CO
Joined Nov 2008
106 Posts

Throttle stick at idle, choke closed, ignition on.....flip til it fires (it will die in a moment). Open choke, then flip til it runs. That seems to work well for me. After its warm, no need to choke.
tomatocan is offline Find More Posts by tomatocan
Old 06-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by cliff600
Palmyra, Va.
Joined Mar 2006
1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocan View Post
Throttle stick at idle, choke closed, ignition on.....flip til it fires (it will die in a moment). Open choke, then flip til it runs. That seems to work well for me. After its warm, no need to choke.
This is how I start my engines too, except I go full throttle at the very beginning and go down to idle after the first choke run.

Other than that just make sure your idle is not set too low on your transmitter, you maight be starving it of fuel.
cliff600 is offline Find More Posts by cliff600
Old 06-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by mikel7099
Pa
Joined Sep 2006
1,569 Posts

If you are using the spark plug that came with the engine get rid of it. Alot of people are having problems wth the spark plug that comes with the engine. Use NGK CM-6. After the plug was changed they fired right up.
mikel7099 is offline Find More Posts by mikel7099
Old 06-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
www.rcdude.com
St helens OR
Joined May 2006
2,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff600 View Post
This is how I start my engines too, except I go full throttle at the very beginning and go down to idle after the first choke run.

Other than that just make sure your idle is not set too low on your transmitter, you maight be starving it of fuel.

See , i can't do this. "Most" of the time , with the ignition on , and choked is pulled , it will just kick for a split second , then i turn the choke off , flip it again , and it fires right up. BUT....every once in a while , i pull the choke and flip it , the dang thing will start , and STAY running , until i make it around the side and pull the choke open. It cleans itself out pretty quickly , but i don't dare go above 1 -2 clicks above throttle....at least on my motor. Speaking of my little BME 58 BTW.
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Old 06-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by cliff600
Palmyra, Va.
Joined Mar 2006
1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRO503 View Post
See , i can't do this. "Most" of the time , with the ignition on , and choked is pulled , it will just kick for a split second , then i turn the choke off , flip it again , and it fires right up. BUT....every once in a while , i pull the choke and flip it , the dang thing will start , and STAY running , until i make it around the side and pull the choke open. It cleans itself out pretty quickly , but i don't dare go above 1 -2 clicks above throttle....at least on my motor. Speaking of my little BME 58 BTW.
You can get your engine to run with the choke on?? I don't know what to tell you then. It shouldn't be able to run more than about a second with the choke on.
cliff600 is offline Find More Posts by cliff600
Old 06-18-2009, 11:37 PM
www.rcdude.com
St helens OR
Joined May 2006
2,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff600 View Post
You can get your engine to run with the choke on?? I don't know what to tell you then. It shouldn't be able to run more than about a second with the choke on.

that's what everyone tells me to. Pat Roy ( Tired old man) came up from california for his work this past weekend and did some flying with us and witnessed it himself. Although i think we found the culprit , as the choke wasn't seating all the way closed , it was enough to start the engine , but running at a blubbering rich idle. I did forget to mention though , that i do , do some full throttle prop flips , but i do it with the ignition off to make sure i've got enough fuel through the like to start priming it a little.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:48 AM
Find More Posts by excel86
He would make a lovely corpse"
Seattle, WA
Joined Sep 2008
39 Posts

hey all i figured it out, i didnt have the plug wire all the way down.. "noob" =) runs like top now. thanks for all your help and fast reply's
excel86 is offline Find More Posts by excel86
Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 PM
www.rcdude.com
St helens OR
Joined May 2006
2,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel86 View Post
hey all i figured it out, i didnt have the plug wire all the way down.. "noob" =) runs like top now. thanks for all your help and fast reply's

DOH!! Don't feel bad man....i'm kind of a newb with this bigger G.S. stuff to. I think i have a lot of "reading knowledge" from just about living here on flying giant , which has actually helped a ton. BUT....the hands on stuff for me , still pretty new....but we'll get there.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Find More Posts by davidjensen
Will fly for food
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2009
163 Posts

Don't forget to replace the "no name" plug before it gets you like it got us. It should come in a box and have a reputable name on it.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen

Quick Reply