logo
Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Find More Posts by leelee
Knife Edge
United States, NC, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2006
1,138 Posts
Balancing large airframes

I am just getting into larger scale airplanes and I have problems trying to balance them on my own. I hate to wait around for someone to help me, is there a CG device for giant scale or an easier way to do it. I also have a large biplane and would like something that would work with a monowing also. The old finger under the wing at the cg point with a 16lb and up plane is pretty hard. Thank's
leelee is offline Find More Posts by leelee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by Vic3D
Suspended Account
Puerto Rico, Caguas, Caguas
Joined Jan 2006
5,011 Posts
Re: Balancing large airframes

Usually need two people to do this. Just raising by the wingtips. If you don't have an assistant, you would have to get a scale, pencil and paper, and a calculator and use this method:

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...our-plane.html

Good luck
Vic3D is offline Find More Posts by Vic3D
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 12-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by Chris
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Apr 2006
342 Posts

If it is supposed to balance on the tube, there us an easy way to do it. Slip the wings out just enough to get a piece of string around the wing tube. Tie a loop around the tube and slip the wings back on. Pick up on the string.

Go to the giant scale forum on RCU and do a search. There is a way to do it by weighing the wheels and some simple math. It's the same way full scale are balanced.

Vic beat me to it. We musta been typing at the same time.
Chris is offline Find More Posts by Chris
Last edited by Chris; 12-22-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by tonyc9075
Ruston, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2007
355 Posts

What I do is run a string from the behind the prop to a hook in the cealing back down to the rudder. Now hang the plane so that its level. Drop a plum line from the hook to just above the plane. The plum line is showing you the cg. One man job.
tonyc9075 is offline Find More Posts by tonyc9075
Old 12-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,855 Posts

I pick up the fuse by the wing tube without the wings on. If the nose comes down that is close enough to go fly it. 28- 40% planes can be safely flown with a very wide range of cg.

Some where in this forum is the formula for using scales to balance your plane. It works great.
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 12-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Find More Posts by Ryans Rebel
New Iberia, LA
Joined Feb 2006
1,281 Posts

I do what Rolling Thunder says for the initial flight. I then fine tune the balance until it flies like I want. I have no idea where any of my planes are balanced using measurements, i.e. x" from the LE, etc.

Ryan
Ryans Rebel is offline Find More Posts by Ryans Rebel
Old 12-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by GmanBill
United States, CA, LAKE VIEW TER
Joined May 2006
378 Posts

I use the EZ BAlancer II and also the string method, I like the EZ Balancer because I can do it alone
http://www.ezbalancer.com/
But when I Have to move things at the field and want to see what changes in balance I make I run a line around my wing tube and lift it with a digital fishing scale, that way I can see if I got it too tail heavy and it gives me a good all up weight.
GmanBill is offline Find More Posts by GmanBill
Old 12-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by bob_nj
United States, NJ, Vineland
Joined Jan 2006
1,478 Posts
Balancing large airframes

The EZ Balancer Lite says up to 14 pounds.
EZ balancer 2 says quarter scale and larger.

Has anyone used the larger version on 150cc aerobatic planes in the 40 pound range?

Happy Holidays!
Bob
bob_nj is offline Find More Posts by bob_nj
Old 12-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by zzw26n
United States, MI, Shelby Charter Township
Joined Mar 2006
2,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_nj View Post

Has anyone used the larger version on 150cc aerobatic planes in the 40 pound range?

Happy Holidays!
Bob
At $230 , how many are being used?
zzw26n is offline Find More Posts by zzw26n
Old 12-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by tommy321
www.engsoc.org/~thastie
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
394 Posts

I use a variation of the pencil paper trick that Vic3d referenced. The math is alot simpler if you use the main gear as your reference point.

Step1: weigh the airplane.
for big planes, put the scale under each wheel in turn and prop up the other wheels the height of your scale so the plane stays level. I use CD cases for this. Magazines work well too. Add together the weight measured under each wheel and you get the total weight of the plane.

Step2: Measure the distance between where the main gear touch the ground and where the and the tail wheel touches the ground.

Step3: The CG is located at the following distance aft of the main gear ground contact position:
CG position = (Weight of the tail X Distance between the mains and the tailwheel) / The total aircraft weight.

The beauty of this system is that you can reverse the equation in Step 3 like this:

Weight of the tail = (CG Position X Total Weight) / distance to the tail wheel.

Now, if you know where you want the CG to be, and you know the total weight, you can move things around inside the airplane until the scale under the tail reads the value you just calculated. Once it does, the CG is where you want it. I like doing this for figuring out the final position of batteries. If the scale under the tailwheel reads too low, I move things in the fuse aft. If the scale on the tail reads too high, I move things forward. It makes it really quick to do find adjustments.

Hope this helps,
Tom
tommy321 is offline Find More Posts by tommy321
Last edited by tommy321; 12-20-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by Aerobat
Is it spring yet?
Southeastern PA
Joined Aug 2006
271 Posts

I just made my own balancer with scrap wood and a couple dollars worth of hardware.
Aerobat is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat
Old 12-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

I agree with Tony and Ryan. If i check them at all, I pick them up by the tube with the wings off. If the nose drops slightly, or stays level, we are good to go. I will then fly it and adjust it to how I want it to fly rather than worrying about measurements. My last 2 40% arfs, I didnt even check the CG before the maiden, as I built them using common equipment, put in the factory positions or more forward than factory, and to be honest, I have flown some severely tail heavy airplanes and they were never squirrley in the air, landings were just a little different.
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 12-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by leelee
Knife Edge
United States, NC, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2006
1,138 Posts

I like all of the answers I am getting. Atleast now I have advise that I can take to our club and help others out. I especially liked the homemade balancer by Aerobat. I will try all of them and see which helps the most. Appreciate the quickk response. I fly a QQYak that is slightly tail heavy and it flies perfect. Thank's again.
leelee is offline Find More Posts by leelee
Old 12-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Joined May 2006
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_nj View Post

Happy Holidays!
Bob

Yeah I use the balancer 2 on my 40s and bigger.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Joined May 2006
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTank View Post
I agree with Tony and Ryan. If i check them at all, I pick them up by the tube with the wings off. If the nose drops slightly, or stays level, we are good to go. I will then fly it and adjust it to how I want it to fly rather than worrying about measurements. My last 2 40% arfs, I didnt even check the CG before the maiden, as I built them using common equipment, put in the factory positions or more forward than factory, and to be honest, I have flown some severely tail heavy airplanes and they were never squirrley in the air, landings were just a little different.

Tank, you can slide the wings on and pit about 4 threads on the wing bolts where you have just enough room where the string will slip, this gives a better idea of where you are, and you can still do the digital fishing scale to see how heavy it is.

Quick Reply