logo
Old 06-04-2017, 01:29 AM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Mar 2010
1,235 Posts
Did more work on the wings, installed the wing fences and other wing accessories. I used CA for the the small wing umm "triangle thingies" and hysol 9460 for the fences. I wanted to have a fillet of hysol on the fences that would make the fence strong, but at the same time it made it visible and not very appealing.

Luckily Skymaster had sent me 3 bottles of matching paint for each of the 3 colors so I was able to paint the triangles and fences to match using my small iwata neo air brush. Not too shabby.
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,235 Posts
Done! Now just waiting for good weather and it will fly, added the scale details as well as finished up the radio tray. I ordered some tomahawk pilots but they will not be ready for a few weeks so for now the 1/4 scale war bird pilots will have to do.

So far looks good but weather is going to be sketchy all week, including today which would have been a perfect day

The lion pack is for the smoke system for those who are wondering.

Lastly I painted the inside of the cockpit, the stock kit has a lot of exposed white glue that looks really bad, so using my air brush I painted all exposed areas, the cockpit looks much cleaner now. Be sure to mask off the areas that are not supposed to be painted or it will create a mess.

I'm trying out this intairco fuel filter, normally jetcat does not want you running a filter on their large motors because the pump can get stressed, but for this is supposed to be a high flow pump (4mm fittings) so I think it will be ok. We will see.

Will try to get pictures/video for the maiden so far so good, final weight Dry is 54 lbs
Old 06-17-2017, 05:30 AM
Find More Posts by Teammuir1
www.Teammuir1.com
United States, KY, Shepherdsville
Joined Aug 2007
466 Posts
I cant wait to see it in the air...
I have been working on my house and had
no time to work on my jet....
but it appears that you have done a great job...
I have not heard back from CHIEF yet.....
pending on what they want to do with the issues I have
is when I will get started.. Keep us posted and Dont forget
the Video... lol
Teammuir1 is offline Find More Posts by Teammuir1
Old 06-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,235 Posts
Got a chance to fly yesterday, The plane flies nice, however, the flight was cut short because the hatch failed and flew off hitting the elevator, so after about 4 mins I had to land.

Some damage, but not too bad, however, it will need to be repaired. I will reinforce the hatch, Actually I should have done this earlier. The hatch is large and flimsy, its no surprised it buckled and flew off. My fixed hatch will have basswood and carbonfibre re-enforcement.

While looking over the plane, found some alarming issues, the leading edge on BOTH sides appear to be delineating! It doesn't appear the wings were glued together properly. Hysol was applied to this and then let set to try. On the other side, 1/8" wholes were drilled and then filled hysol.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,235 Posts
Also I replaced the pilots with the tomahawk design 1.365 pilots. These fit much better.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Yorktown
Joined Jan 2006
1,915 Posts
Where do you get the 6014 servobox?
Have you used it before?
How do you like it?

Tony
vatechguy3 is online now Find More Posts by vatechguy3
Old 06-18-2017, 09:11 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,235 Posts
These are made by evojet and they work really nicely:
http://xtcm.evojets.de/index.php?cPath=3

I have both the ones for the 6014 and the Dual r7008sb. This unit along with a fromeco wolverine switch gives power and batt share (equalizer) makes a simple and reliable power solution
Old 06-18-2017, 09:12 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,235 Posts
Fixed the elevator, paint appears a bit off as its still drying. The panel line has faded a bit but it can add that later.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
Got a chance to fly yesterday, The plane flies nice, however, the flight was cut short because the hatch failed and flew off hitting the elevator, so after about 4 mins I had to land.

Some damage, but not too bad, however, it will need to be repaired. I will reinforce the hatch, Actually I should have done this earlier. The hatch is large and flimsy, its no surprised it buckled and flew off. My fixed hatch will have basswood and carbonfibre re-enforcement.

While looking over the plane, found some alarming issues, the leading edge on BOTH sides appear to be delineating! It doesn't appear the wings were glued together properly. Hysol was applied to this and then let set to try. On the other side, 1/8" wholes were drilled and then filled hysol.
Whoa, that's an extremely serious flaw.....loss of the hatch appears to almost be a blessing in diguise, as additional flying time might have proven disastorous

Thanks for sharing with us
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 06-18-2017, 07:58 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,235 Posts
hatch repaired,

Some of the camo alignment is wrong I will fix it later, also I need to add some tint to the dark brown for a closer match, will do that later as well.

The hatch is much stronger now as it has carbon fiber reinforcement and a basswood brace int he middle to keep it from buckling.

I filled in the top hatch latch, instead I will go for dual latches on the sides for increase security.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, IA, Iowa City
Joined Oct 2015
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teammuir1 View Post
Alkaline :
do you have any issues with your paint on the Fuse its self ?

Here are some pics and let you and others tell me what you see before I explain what I think I am seeing....

what I will ask is please blow pic up all the way for better viewing....
First that's a great thread I will be following great looking airplanes guys. Being a Saudi myself and in love of aviation and details I will tell you that the airplane Arabic translation of "Royal Saudi Airforce" on the airplane is little off seems like they didn't pay much attention to it. I uploaded pictures of the correction if you care to do it. But I think it is worth it since it is a simple thing to do. Pictures 1&2 show where the dot should be added and circled with yellow and picture 3 with the red circle just to show what the size and the look of the dots in those position should be like so you could get the same result as if it were done right at the factory.
aalfawaz is online now Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Old 06-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, IA, Iowa City
Joined Oct 2015
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teammuir1 View Post
lets talk wing tote... I was told they are good quality... so I will need one ok I will get one along with the plane...
I am used to this style wing tote... red and blk has velt innerliner...
very nice with a compartment for a wing tube ...
well the blue one is what I ended up with for
119.00 hhhhmmm I can see flying some electric foamy plane
but not for a 20,000.oo jet.... again just my opinion...
whats your all thoughts ...
I recently ordered wingtote for my H9 100cc Beast and it is the best I have used so far
aalfawaz is online now Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Old 06-19-2017, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by SAL A
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Feb 2010
5 Posts
here are some photos of my set up with a Kingtech K310 - I had to get a new pipe from Skymaster to handle the heat. - I enjoyed this thread
SAL A is offline Find More Posts by SAL A
Old 06-19-2017, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by SAL A
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Feb 2010
5 Posts
the stock cockpit was very heavy they came in at about 4.5 pounds- so I vacuumed formed right over the stock cockpit and re made the panels and seats and my end weight with a full UAT came out to 67.5 pounds and that includes 2 9oz AXEL SCALE pilots
SAL A is offline Find More Posts by SAL A
Old 06-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,235 Posts
Sala thats a nice divider you have in your cockpit, I agree it is heavy, however, the weight is needed for the right balance, leaving the stock cockpit in you do not need any nose weight. I put my componenets under the turbine because with the stock cockpit and radio gear int he nose I was too nose heavy, on your setup you should be good because the radio gear evens out the lighter cockpit.

Any chance you want to offer the cockpit divider ring as a kit option? Also how are you actuating the canopy? I like the actuonix actuator it works really well with low amp draw, the same for the doors, they do not open up in flight.

I believe anything less than a 300N for this jet is not doing it justice, you would have to be full click the whole time with a 200N just to cruise around.