logo
Old 03-30-2017, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by bigmikew
United States, TX, Granbury
Joined Jul 2015
7 Posts
Horus on a Moki Powered Warbird? Would you do it?

Hopefully some of you will chime in.

I bought a Horus(running open TX) early this year and have been trying to keep up with the monster thread on RCG regarding bugs/updates/issues. It's gotten pretty lengthy and hard to sift through all the different chatter. Maybe you guys can help with a couple of questions/wonderings.

First: I'm building a Ziroli Corsair and am putting a Moki 150 in it. It will be an expensive plane when built. It will be a while before it's complete, as I'm just working on the fuselage now. Would you trust the Horus with expensive setups like my Corsair will end up being? I plan on running dual receivers and a Duralite Competition Powerbox for redundancy, which is older but still works. Any special considerations with the 5 cylinder ignition and RF issues with the FrSky? The fuel pump on the Moki also gets signal from the RX.

I've read about some lock out issues with FrSky and gas engines lately, and have yet to switch my gassers over to the x6r and 8xr receivers yet. They're flying still on Spektrum.

Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
bigmikew is offline Find More Posts by bigmikew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by Dangerous Dan
United States, TX, Gainesville
Joined Jan 2006
3,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikew View Post
Hopefully some of you will chime in.

I bought a Horus(running open TX) early this year and have been trying to keep up with the monster thread on RCG regarding bugs/updates/issues. It's gotten pretty lengthy and hard to sift through all the different chatter. Maybe you guys can help with a couple of questions/wonderings.

First: I'm building a Ziroli Corsair and am putting a Moki 150 in it. It will be an expensive plane when built. It will be a while before it's complete, as I'm just working on the fuselage now. Would you trust the Horus with expensive setups like my Corsair will end up being? I plan on running dual receivers and a Duralite Competition Powerbox for redundancy, which is older but still works. Any special considerations with the 5 cylinder ignition and RF issues with the FrSky? The fuel pump on the Moki also gets signal from the RX.

I've read about some lock out issues with FrSky and gas engines lately, and have yet to switch my gassers over to the x6r and 8xr receivers yet. They're flying still on Spektrum.

Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
A guy at my field has had his taranis on 50+ planes mostly gas no issues. Just range check engine off. Place a flag. Then range check at low and high power engine on. If you reach the flag you are good.
Dangerous Dan is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dan
Old 03-30-2017, 03:18 PM
Joined Jul 2015
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dan View Post
A guy at my field has had his taranis on 50+ planes mostly gas no issues. Just range check engine off. Place a flag. Then range check at low and high power engine on. If you reach the flag you are good.
For sure a range check is in order. I'm just a little apprehensive as I've moved up in size on my current planes, and will experience more pain in the wallet in the event of a radio lockout or glitch.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-30-2017, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
BigMike,

I've got over 300 flights each on my giant scale planes, I converted from Futaba 3 years ago to a Taranis, then now to a Horus and never looked back.

Just use common sense and best practices and things will go as expected.

My ignition boxes are in the engine area, and my recievers are in the back half of the cabin area, that's over 20 inches apart, and I'm using SBUS to the Aura8 to a BoomaRC Power board, and an IBEC to the ignition.

Similar setups to all my planes.

Fly and fly happy, it's a rock solid link.
JoeT is offline Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 03-30-2017, 04:07 PM
Joined Jul 2015
7 Posts
JoeT,

Thanks. That gives me more confidence. I haven't done complex setups with sbus or dual rx yet, only 6-8 channel .60 sized warbirds. I may pick your brain on setup, when I get closer.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Please do, I also have an Aura FC8 reference library on another site, with a bunch of custom configs. I'm happy to share. Frsky also has Redunancy Bus and RB10 if you want full redundancy. They also have this new cool receiver called the RX8R, you can connect 2 of these together and they will act as fully redundant receivers.

For my next plane (arriving shortly), I'm going to be using an RX8R with MX+ for redundancy, and SBUS into Aura8, powered by a Booma RC battery redundancy swith, along with an IBEC.

Should be fun.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:37 PM
Joined Jul 2015
7 Posts
JoeT,

I do have one issue you may be able to help with.

I've got my main screen widget set to 8 channels of output monitoring. I'd like the throttle channel monitor to properly track negative to positive values of the throttle stick and be able to change the servo direction, independent of the monitoring. When I change the direction of my servo, I get the output widget showing in reverse.

This wasn't a big deal until I did a quick setup on a new plane at the field, and reversed the throttle servo and adjusted endpoints. I used my logical switch setup for throttle cut like my other plane setup. Switch + throttle stick below 75%= throttle override to -125%. So when I touched down and engaged throttle cut it went full throttle! Luckily I've got the switch set for very short duration and thevthrottle came back down.

I haven't found a mix / weight setting that gets all screens, sticks and outputs on the same slur at the same time. I can manually reverse the servos on some of my planes I'm converting to frsky, but not practical on all of them(without a lot of work) and I can just "remember" that the output isn't right. But this seems like it should be able to be a simpler fix to keep things straight.

Sorry for the novel length question. Any ideas?
Mike
Old 03-30-2017, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Quote:
JoeT,

I do have one issue you may be able to help with.

I've got my main screen widget set to 8 channels of output monitoring. I'd like the throttle channel monitor to properly track negative to positive values of the throttle stick and be able to change the servo direction, independent of the monitoring. When I change the direction of my servo, I get the output widget showing in reverse.

This wasn't a big deal until I did a quick setup on a new plane at the field, and reversed the throttle servo and adjusted endpoints. I used my logical switch setup for throttle cut like my other plane setup. Switch + throttle stick below 75%= throttle override to -125%. So when I touched down and engaged throttle cut it went full throttle! Luckily I've got the switch set for very short duration and thevthrottle came back down.

I haven't found a mix / weight setting that gets all screens, sticks and outputs on the same slur at the same time. I can manually reverse the servos on some of my planes I'm converting to frsky, but not practical on all of them(without a lot of work) and I can just "remember" that the output isn't right. But this seems like it should be able to be a simpler fix to keep things straight.

Sorry for the novel length question. Any ideas?
Mike
Firstly are you on OpenTX or Frsky OS, the answers are different for each one. (I've been on OpenTX forever)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:10 PM
Joined Jul 2015
7 Posts
Open TX from day 1
Old 03-30-2017, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Ok, next bunch of questions.

What is it that you're trying to do, because there are many ways to do it in OpenTX.
I don't quite understand what you're doing with the throttle.

Thank You
Old 03-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Joined Jul 2015
7 Posts
I'd like to see the channel output widget reflect only the position of the throttle stick. Just a quick visual reference of minimum throttle according to stick position. My problem occurs on some planes where I need to reverse throttle in radio. The output widget then shows minimum throttle position on stick as +100% on the widget. This also causes my throttle cut equation to act in reverse and become a throttle boost.

I set my throttle cut to only be active when a switch(don't have the switch number in front of me) is flipped and the throttle stick is below 75%. It then is supposed to go to an override throttle command of -125%. Except for it to work on the planes requiring servo reversing I have to change to override of +125%. Otherwise I'm getting a throttle boost and not cut.

In short I'd like to have throttle cut operate based off of stick position, not positive or negative output/mix settings for the channel.

Hopefully I'm explaining the issue well enough to follow.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:53 AM
Find More Posts by BalsaDust
Joined Aug 2011
2,421 Posts
So I have been flying a foamy around for the last few weeks with the Taranis having fun and yesterday I stepped up and put three flights on my new to me Moass60 profile with a DLE 20 on it. Happy to report no problems at all.
I think my only negatives about the radio are #1 I don't have a balance bar on it yet so it hangs horribly from a neck strap, #2 the haptic vibration module could be a little stronger.

Other than that I'm happy to report I'm loving the radio so far and starting to get a hang of Open TX is making it easier. Still lots to learn but I'm enjoying it and feel confident in my decision to sell all my Futaba gear once I get enough FrSky RX to replace them in all my planes.
BalsaDust is offline Find More Posts by BalsaDust
Old 03-31-2017, 06:32 AM
Find More Posts by edwinracme
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2013
169 Posts
taranis

I have 6 gas planes 100cc to 30cc one with 2 receivers never a problem in 3 years plus programing help on youtube
edwinracme is offline Find More Posts by edwinracme
Old 03-31-2017, 07:02 AM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
On our Widget requirement, Tadango on RCG can create you a custom widget to do what you want. He's already posted and shared tons of different widgets.

For your throttle requirement, you should be using the Logical Switches. It's like the old "Basic" programming language from high school.

L1 If Thr < 75% then ???
And then go to special functions and select a switch then

Special Function: Override Throttle -125% (modify accordingly) Note: when the switch is flicked on, it will put your throttle in -125 regardless of position.

Special Function: If L1 = ??? then go to -125

I'm doing this from memory, there will be nuances.

Also depending on which OpenTX you are on, you can send me your EEPE file and I can do the mods for you, and you can test. None of the above require reversing any servos, logical and special functions are "operations" that override functions depending on the parameters you set.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
I'd like to see the channel output widget reflect only the position of the throttle stick. Just a quick visual reference of minimum throttle according to stick position. My problem occurs on some planes where I need to reverse throttle in radio. The output widget then shows minimum throttle position on stick as +100% on the widget. This also causes my throttle cut equation to act in reverse and become a throttle boost.

I set my throttle cut to only be active when a switch(don't have the switch number in front of me) is flipped and the throttle stick is below 75%. It then is supposed to go to an override throttle command of -125%. Except for it to work on the planes requiring servo reversing I have to change to override of +125%. Otherwise I'm getting a throttle boost and not cut.

In short I'd like to have throttle cut operate based off of stick position, not positive or negative output/mix settings for the channel.

Hopefully I'm explaining the issue well enough to follow.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Joined Jul 2015
7 Posts
Thanks for the tips on programming.

That's pretty much what I have programmed, except I have a switch and throttle position requirement for the throttle cut. Basically it's an "if, and" type command line.

It works, only I have to change the override value -125 to a +125 if I have the servo reversed, and thereby having the channel output widget showing opposite of the throttle position. Otherwise the override works as a boost instead of a throttle cut.

I'll take photos of my Horus screen for better explanation tonight.

Quick Reply