Old 07-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Find More Posts by red_z06
Dumont, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,517 Posts
Re: AMA's stand on catching foamies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
Simple laws of nature cannot be changed. 4 year olds do not posess the maturity required to operate dangerous equipment.
Agreed. But would you agree that there are such thing as freak of nature?
red_z06 is offline Find More Posts by red_z06
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Find More Posts by Matt_Thomas
Lakeland, FL
Joined Jun 2007
1,936 Posts

Lets be nice guys... It's getting brutal in here.
Matt_Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Matt_Thomas
Old 07-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Find More Posts by Vic3D
Suspended Account
Puerto Rico, Caguas, Caguas
Joined Jan 2006
5,011 Posts

Benny,

As always, Justin impresses me. That kid will be unstoppable in the IMAC circuit in the near future. Glad to see him enjoying the planes so much. Best part about it, his father supports him 200%.
Vic3D is offline Find More Posts by Vic3D
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 07-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_z06 View Post
Agreed. But would you agree that there are such thing as freak of nature?
Yes.

But not in this case.

Just over-pimping.
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Old 07-18-2008, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,622 Posts

as a father of a 7 year old son that flies 30% -40% GS 3D , I in no way shape/form/manner let my son hover his small electric foamy that close to himself or anyone else.There are quite a few things being said about being "raised in a bubble" , my son is not one of them,but he is expected to act accordingly.If his actions are that as an adult He will be treated as an adult .If you are flying ,you are to be a young adult and be responsable for you're actions ,and it is NOT Play time.If he is playing ,it is play time.I NEVER let those two cross.Flying RC , if it is planes,heli.'s ,or anything else,he has to know that it is time to be serious,not play time.I to was a very young child when I started in competitive rc in the early 70's ,but my father made me be an adult for all of my actions, and there fore I was treated as an adult.Don't get me wrong .as a father I do understand having video's of you're son flying,but you should be using those videos to show how you're 5 year old is able to Follow the AMA rules,NOT break them. Show A GOOD EXAMPLE. Do not ruin it for the rest of the youth that is trying to do the right thing.
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks
Old 07-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Find More Posts by Road Builder
Oswego, IL
Joined Jan 2006
674 Posts

If I recall correctly he was embrassed on Flying Cirkus flying a simulator not a real foamy. Just keep his safety the #1 priority.

Jay
Road Builder is offline Find More Posts by Road Builder
Old 07-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Dumont, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,517 Posts

Donnie:

I agree with you 100% regarding setting a good example for others to follow. It is true that part of him wishing to catch came from examples set by others. By him doing the same definitely make it harder for others like you and your son trying to practice safe procedures. For this I apologize.

The first catch caught me completely off guard (his very first). He immediately turned to me for some kind of reaction but I faied to send proper signal. Because, I actually thought it was cool. Shame on me. On his 2nd catch, I don't know what I was thinking.

With these young kids, separating the play time and being serious when standing on the flight line is something I'm very familiar with. I deal with it everyday as you do.

I certainly do not wish to make it harder for the dads and kids coming up and trying to the right thing. That point you made was so powerful, I no longer wish to practice it. I just told Justin, he is not allowed to catch airplanes anymore.
Last edited by red_z06; 07-18-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Dumont, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Builder View Post
If I recall correctly he was embrassed on Flying Cirkus flying a simulator not a real foamy. Just keep his safety the #1 priority.

Jay
Max posted Justin's photo of Justin and his Tensor 4D on the day of his solo flying on the Flying Circus front page. It was the below picture that was on the front page from Sep 2005 until the name change to FG on Jan 1 2006(I think).
Last edited by red_z06; 07-18-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by kregan
Maryland
Joined Jan 2007
96 Posts

Poor kid, that pretty much proves he is not capable of handling that kind of pressure.

Quote:
At this time, I looked for my son and found him shivering in our minivan and my wife was holding him. After I got him out, I was walking him to Mr, Woo at which time my wife pulled back Justin as she did not want him to see Mr. Woo as she was worried about mental trauma.
Just another day of fun?

Quote:
I wanted him to see what he did as I thought it was more important than possible trauma he might have. I pulled on one arm and my wife was pulling on the other and we were stalled for good 5 minutes until I eventually brought Justin over to see Mr. Woo.

Pulled on one arm is a serious understatement as we were yanking his arms pretty hard.
kregan is offline Find More Posts by kregan
Old 07-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Dumont, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kregan View Post
Poor kid, that pretty much proves he is not capable of handling that kind of pressure.

Just another day of fun?

I hope no other fellow pilot go through the same experience. If something like that happens to a person and he/she is not affected by it, then that person is not a human but a monster. It is almost a year later, but the word NEAT still makes my heart pound and makes me break out a cold sweat. Just another day of fun? No one plans accidents. It happens and that is why they are called accidents.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by mflander
How much did that thing cost?
Elk River, MN
Joined Oct 2007
954 Posts

Your responses to this thread piss me off as a parent myself. I fealt reading your responses that you were using your son for your own fame. You pretty much went out of your way to discuss your salary. And the heli accident... wow.

I don't think anybody here is saying Justin shouldn't fly or that they are jealous or that they don't want to see him grow up and become one of the best pilots in the world. I think what they are saying is you need to stop dragging him around like he is a trophy, and using him for your own self interest and 15 minutes of fame.

Go read Tiger's Book. You could learn a lot from it.
mflander is offline Find More Posts by mflander
Old 07-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by Ed Hornbuckle
Texas, United States of North Mexico
Joined Jul 2007
270 Posts

Real men catch foamies with thier teeth...
Ed Hornbuckle is offline Find More Posts by Ed Hornbuckle
Old 07-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by as722
Pennsyvania
Joined Jan 2006
1,592 Posts

Benny,

Can you please tell everyone how you were teaching your son how to just go to the front of the line every where there was a sim at the wram show. I know you coudn't wait to show everyone there how good your son is ( and he is! ) but you still have to wait your turn. How do I know you might ask, because I was waiting in line with my son when you had your son go right to the front of the line. Not once but twice, my sons comments to me were something like this " dad why does that guy keep cutting the line, is not fair ". Thanks buddy !

Albert
as722 is offline Find More Posts by as722
Old 07-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Dumont, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,517 Posts

Albert:

I do not encourage such a behavior. I made sure there were no lines if he got on and if there were, I made sure that he stood in line like everybody else. If he did, there is simply no excuse as that is an unacceptable behavior. Sorry about making your son feel bad. I would have appreciated if you had said "Young man! Please stand in line and wait for your turn" If you had said that, I would have thanked and apologized profusely.

If I was there next to him, could it be possible that we missed you guys as being in line? I'm a parent like you tryng to teach him proper manners in life. There is no way I would encourage such behaviro knowingly. Could it have been a misunderstanding? I'm damn proud of my son but not proud enough to ignore proper manners in public.

Do I want to show him off? Sure I do. What dad wouldn't? But, not at a cost of public misbehavior.
Last edited by red_z06; 07-18-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by SmoothFlying
Suspended Account
United States, OK, Bethel
Joined Jan 2006
5,049 Posts

Red Z06, hey man keep up what you are doing with your son. He is becoming someone who is going to beat the heck out of each person on this site sooner or later. Keep working with him and get him into IMAC. I believe in 5-10 years Quique better watch out. Justin is going to beat him. I believe there is just a ton of jealousy with a lot of folks about the way he flies. Its par for the course. You folks that are parents need to take a lot of things into consideration, do you let your son play baseball at a young age? Why?? What were to happen if he got hit by a pitch in the eye or face?? What about you guys with girls? Do you let them cheerlead or play softball?? What if that cheerleader of yours fell flat on her face from being tossed up into the air? Do you think her face will just bounce off the hard floor of the basketball floor? What about football, do you think your son cant get his knees torn or legs broke? You have to remember there is danger in every sport you do whether it be flying little foamys with props that can cut or getting hit by that line backer trying to knock your head off because that is what he is taught to do. Lay off the guy. His son can fly my pants off. I'd be proud of him to. Just understand he'll be at a contest near you and wax that as*. Who doesnt go to a contest and have a younger person beating them. Just my .02. I'll probably get ragged about this post but oh well. Its all true.
SmoothFlying is offline Find More Posts by SmoothFlying
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)

Quick Reply