Old 06-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by slosshycoho
Circuit flier
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
47 Posts
Your Favorite 3d EPP model?

Hey there chaps,

I am after a new 3d foamy. my sniper is now looking pretty second hand (mainly thanks to my dog grabbing it out of the air!), and all the batteries for it are pretty stuffed.
I love my kiwi, but it is really not an outdoor model.

i would like to a mix of indoor and outdoor if possible.

I am looking at either a joker, fraker or maybe a CS tracer (or other suggestions)
At this stage i am thinking the tracer cos of the profiled wing and the full fuz. but i have never really herd any reviews of them.

i was planning on the typical crazy power of a hyperion 3 cell 800mah and the hyperion 2209. but sure of the 900kv or the 1100kv option. i am thinking the 900 kv would have better thrust, but the throttle response may be a little slow with a 9 or 10 inch prop on 100-120 watts? does anyone have experience with this?

also, i am wondering how crazy to go with the servos, i like the look of the Hitec HS-45 karbonite, but are they way overkill for this sort of plane?

also - i need a kick-ass colour scheme, a few suggetions would be great!

cheers boys.
slosshycoho is offline Find More Posts by slosshycoho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Find More Posts by ampEater
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
486 Posts
Re: Your Favorite 3d EPP model?

Dude i'll design, build and paint you one that suits exactly what you want if you'd like? It would'nt be for free, but I guarantee you get exactly what you want at the end
ampEater is offline Find More Posts by ampEater
Old 06-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Find More Posts by nakia
YEEAHH
australia
Joined Aug 2006
943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosshycoho View Post
Hey there chaps,

I am after a new 3d foamy. my sniper is now looking pretty second hand (mainly thanks to my dog grabbing it out of the air!), and all the batteries for it are pretty stuffed.
I love my kiwi, but it is really not an outdoor model.

i would like to a mix of indoor and outdoor if possible.

I am looking at either a joker, fraker or maybe a CS tracer (or other suggestions)
At this stage i am thinking the tracer cos of the profiled wing and the full fuz. but i have never really herd any reviews of them.

i was planning on the typical crazy power of a hyperion 3 cell 800mah and the hyperion 2209. but sure of the 900kv or the 1100kv option. i am thinking the 900 kv would have better thrust, but the throttle response may be a little slow with a 9 or 10 inch prop on 100-120 watts? does anyone have experience with this?

also, i am wondering how crazy to go with the servos, i like the look of the Hitec HS-45 karbonite, but are they way overkill for this sort of plane?

also - i need a kick-ass colour scheme, a few suggetions would be great!

cheers boys.
Im building my first Frakar tonight!
Bogan and Auntie bought some over to the Bendigo Masters in Australia and man we were impressed...they are almost indestructable, which is important to me
They had heaps of power on AXI2208-34 running 3s900mah...8-9 inch props i think
set up on mine will be as follows.
Eflite 370 1090kv
eflite 15 amp esc
dualsky 3s1000mah lipos
eflite s75 servos
spectrum ar6100 rx

will let you know how it flys soon...
nakia is offline Find More Posts by nakia
Old 06-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Circuit flier
Joined Jun 2007
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampEater View Post
Dude i'll design, build and paint you one that suits exactly what you want if you'd like? It would'nt be for free, but I guarantee you get exactly what you want at the end
Yeah man, that sounds like a good plan.

what i think i am after is basically an epp kiwi: A full fuse off epp (the width of a battery) to a similar profile as a kiwi, the fuse could taper down at the rear to about 15-20mm (enough to get the socket for the fully moving elevator in). also a bit of a taper around the canopy.
if possible a profiled epp wing, with 1.0mm carbon rods slotted in top and bottom for stiffness. i think the ailerons would just be top hinged, taped on afterwards. maybe do the wings in two parts to allow some taper.

see attached pic, maybe slot the fuse down the guts to allow radio install (and a single aileron servo to be placed under the wing)

also could play around with sfg's of the wingtips

do you have (or can you get) slabs of epp big enough to make one. i guess the wingspan would be 800mm) and the fuse maybe about 550mm long with about 100mm of fully moving rudder.

how much would it cost for you to suppy epp and cut fuse & wing and suppy enough epp to make elev, ailer, rudd etc. also need a carbon tube and socket for the elev.

what do you think of the basic design? i am after a mix of 3d and a bit of precision, for indoor and outdoor (thats a big ask i know, but i think this may fit the bill)
Old 06-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by ChrisHays
Memphis Tn
Joined Mar 2006
366 Posts

have you looked at the boom from mscomposite.... i bought mine from maverick hobbys ..airframe sales for 55 bucks.. took me 2 hrs to build with mods

http://shop.maverickhobbys.com/main.sc
ChrisHays is offline Find More Posts by ChrisHays
Old 06-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Joined Jul 2006
486 Posts

Do you want a full sectioned wing?

I have sheets of 10mm EPP as used for the Joker and Frakar, I could build you a more precision flying Joker? Frakar? Is it looks of flying performance you are after?
Old 06-18-2008, 03:06 AM
Joined Jul 2006
486 Posts

You still wanting a EPP 3D model, Jeremy?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Circuit flier
Joined Jun 2007
47 Posts

Yep, i definitely do want a new foamy. is indoor on this sunday? we could have a chat then?

Sorry i havent replied: over the weekend both my mojo 60 kit and my compy 2.1m extra arrived, so i have been drooling over those. i hope to have the mojo ready for forsyth, just have to save up for a saito (not sure what size, i know most people use the 100 four, but i am taking quite a bit of weight out of mine, so maybe a smaller saito four?) also need to save for about 5-6 rolls of covering (the mojo is huge!).
Hope to have the compy ready for the aero expo in dec at dunners, also like to enter it at the nats.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by rking
Manila, Philippines
Joined Mar 2006
188 Posts

have u seen the cst katana? i also have the hyperion sniper but really didn't like its pattern like behavior (just a preference). looks like this will be my next epp real soon.

CST Katana (3 min 22 sec)
rking is offline Find More Posts by rking
Old 06-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Joined Jul 2006
486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosshycoho View Post
Yep, i definitely do want a new foamy. is indoor on this sunday? we could have a chat then?

Sorry i havent replied: over the weekend both my mojo 60 kit and my compy 2.1m extra arrived, so i have been drooling over those. i hope to have the mojo ready for forsyth, just have to save up for a saito (not sure what size, i know most people use the 100 four, but i am taking quite a bit of weight out of mine, so maybe a smaller saito four?) also need to save for about 5-6 rolls of covering (the mojo is huge!).
Hope to have the compy ready for the aero expo in dec at dunners, also like to enter it at the nats.
I'll start tomorrow moring on it. Next indoor will probably be on the 6th of July as I've been a bit reluctant to do another as people that said they were going to come to the last one didn't.

DO you want me to design it around the 2213 you have?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Circuit flier
Joined Jun 2007
47 Posts

Hey Alex. I dont mind if it has a 2213 or a 2209, as long as it flys slow enough for indoor. i have to buy some more gear anyway, so i dont mind grabbing a 2209 at the same time.

One thing though: i know the 2213 is good for about 200 watts, but you need about a 10 or 11 inch prop to get that sort of power out of it (at indoor speeds) making the spool up and throttle very slow to react, so if you were designing around the 2213, only work on about 150 watts, so i can use a 8 or 9 inch prop with much better throttle control.

bit of a shame about the indoor not being so regular, i am getting a bit bored on hovering in the garage!

On a bit of a tangent, i am amazed just how light the compy is (and how perfectly it fits together) but man it feels a bit fragile compared to what i am used to, maybe i will have to save my crazy flying for foamys and balsa models!
Old 06-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Joined Jul 2006
486 Posts

I'll Design it around your 2213, but just use a good 800-1000 3s pack for it instead to keep it light.

Designing a model for indoor is going to be difficult and I'm not sure how the one I am doing now will work out for that respect. But i will try my best.

Do you want me to put some of my own servos in it and you pay me for them when you get the model? Or would you like me to get some of your servos off you?

Alex
Old 06-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Circuit flier
Joined Jun 2007
47 Posts

Hey Alex,

i dont mind about the servos, just do what ever is easiest. I have some Hitec HS-65hb's, and those 5 gram Hextroinic's you gave me for the bat lying around. i can either give you those or repay you with those, or give you the cash - i dont mind.

thanks for that.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Joined Jul 2006
486 Posts

I have an array of servos here and I will use the best ones for the best jobs IMO. Just repay me back with the ones you have which coincide or cash for the ones that don't. All servos will be new.

You still fixed on the idea of a full moving tailplane?
Old 06-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Circuit flier
Joined Jun 2007
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampEater View Post
I have an array of servos here and I will use the best ones for the best jobs IMO. Just repay me back with the ones you have which coincide or cash for the ones that don't. All servos will be new.

You still fixed on the idea of a full moving tailplane?
I am not fixed on the fully moving tailplane - i have just never had a model with one, so i will give it a go at some stage. You have much more experience with these, so just do what ever you think is best. i am pretty keen to see just what you come up with. I have flown a few of your models and i am pretty jealous - they fly great!

cheers matie.

Quick Reply