logo
Old 02-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by red_z06
Dumont, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,517 Posts
Serious Complaint Against DA

First complaint

I got my first DA50 almost 2 years ago. Just like most who got the first batchof DA50s I suffered through bad idle and and quitting on idle. Even though I had this on going problem with no fix at that time, I bought the second DA50. Knowing that I might suffer from the same problem on the 2nd engine prevented me from using it for a while. Then, I heard about the upgrade they have done on DA50. Immediately I unmounted the problem engine and sent both used and new engine to DA for this miracle cure. Some 2-4weeks later due to back log, I ended up with 1 new engine now newer (is there a such thing) because they replaced almost everthing on my new engine so it has to be newer. And my almost 1 year old problem engine came back almost new too with all the new parts. It ran like a totally strange engine that I no longer recognize as I was used to 2000+ idle and quitting on landing or jolt. It now idles at 1400 and you can kick it to death but engine will not quit anymore.

2nd Complaint

I am now using both of them. One in GP PW Extra and the other in H9 Mustang 150. In 6 months or so of use, I noticed little play in the spinner when I moved it up and down. It turned out to be a broken tab on one of the mounting flanges. It was taken out and sent to DA. In 2 weeks from the day I sent it out on FedEx ground, I got it back repaired.

3rd Complaint

I loved them so much I simply flew and flew. In about a year or so they both started becoming harder and harder to start and requiring electric starter to start.
One engine was sent back and in 2 weeks time I got it back again. The problem was bad ignition and I was told the piston was cooked and needed whole bunch of parts. The bill of materials on replaced parts total $320 but all were replaced free of charge.

On one engine, I have to go back to break-in oil setup for the 3rd time because the piston and cyliner is new again. I am getting tired of keep doing break-in as the engine never seems to get old.

It has been 2 years since being exposed to DA stuff.

I now own 3 DA50s and 2 DA100s
Every time someting breaks I end up with one more DA engine than before the problem. If it keeps breaking, I won't know how many DAs I'm going to end up with.
This sort of business sucking in customers and keeping them loyal to DA should be made illegal. Whatever that DA is doing, I can't seem to even remember the problems I had initially with DA. They better straighten up their customer service or else I might end up with one dozen DAs.
red_z06 is offline Find More Posts by red_z06
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by crazyextra
they call me....the gas man
Canada
Joined Jan 2006
392 Posts
Re: Serious Complaint Against DA

Hey red, I'd be happy to take some of those DAs of your hands, I'll give you fifty bucks for a DA-50, and 100 bucks for a DA-100

come on man, thats a helluva deal
crazyextra is offline Find More Posts by crazyextra
Old 02-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by 3-d flyer
United States, TN, Chattanooga
Joined Jan 2006
730 Posts

I've got to agree with you Red! Brian H. at D/A took one of my fidys from a similar problem... hard to start and dead sticking on ocasion. The problem was looked for up down and sideways, finally sent it back at the VERY tail end of it's warranty... i mean were talkin days here! Would you believe Brian Had the GAUL to take my engine and mount it on his 260 and fly it! I mean jeeezzz, i send it in to be repaired and he goes out and plays with it! after a few flights it quits on him and he cannot get it restarted! So what does he do??
Sends me back an engine with a new Jug and BRAND NEW ignition! The NERVE!
Ohh... it gets better, I also recieved in the same box, a statement with (get this)
and amount due of $0! Huh, the nerve of that guy!
Hat's off to D/A Man! I have one of each of their line, and will remain loyal to them... Lookin to pop for another 100 in the near future!
3-d flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3-d flyer
Old 02-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

Ooops... Misread
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax
Last edited by madmax; 02-17-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts

I've got to agree with you as I just got my engine back with a brand new cyliner+piston+carb that cost me $6. Yes, that's what I paid to ship it to them and that's it. Everyday, I'm asking what I need that I can buy from DA wether it be prop, spinner or anything else that they sell.
Reza is offline Find More Posts by Reza
Old 02-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by 3-d flyer
United States, TN, Chattanooga
Joined Jan 2006
730 Posts

Hey Max, Is it me or did you totally take Red in the wrong way? I read that post as a pat on the back to D/A..... Am i wrong?
3-d flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3-d flyer
Old 02-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

Sometimes you gotta read 'em a few times to get it Enjoy.
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax
Old 02-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by ShortBus
Workin' the pole
Hopewell Jct, NY
Joined Jan 2006
4,483 Posts

My POS started on the 2nd flip after sitting for 1.5yrs....Can you believe it???

Me likes DA
ShortBus is offline Find More Posts by ShortBus
Old 02-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Find More Posts by SofaKing
Does it always do that?
Valrico, FL
Joined Jan 2006
1,361 Posts

Benny,
when you get tired of them lousy DA engines, just send them my way. I'm sure I can find a charitable cause to donate them to.

p.s. charity begins at home
SofaKing is offline Find More Posts by SofaKing
Old 02-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by JayB
Look Boss, DeePlane DeePlane!!
Exit 16W, NJ
Joined Jan 2006
628 Posts

Yeah mine is doing this weird thing too. I got a 100 and after 3 seasons it still has a ton of compression. And it pulls my plane a little too hard. Gona have to Call DA again. Jeeze.
JayB is offline Find More Posts by JayB
Old 02-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by flyingklown
The Lonely Squire of Clinton
Alabama, Georiga, N & S Carolina, NYC, El Paso, TX, Connecticut
Joined Jan 2006
1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_z06
First complaint

I got my first DA50 almost 2 years ago. Just like most who got the first batchof DA50s I suffered through bad idle and and quitting on idle. Even though I had this on going problem with no fix at that time, I bought the second DA50. Knowing that I might suffer from the same problem on the 2nd engine prevented me from using it for a while. Then, I heard about the upgrade they have done on DA50. Immediately I unmounted the problem engine and sent both used and new engine to DA for this miracle cure. Some 2-4weeks later due to back log, I ended up with 1 new engine now newer (is there a such thing) because they replaced almost everthing on my new engine so it has to be newer. And my almost 1 year old problem engine came back almost new too with all the new parts. It ran like a totally strange engine that I no longer recognize as I was used to 2000+ idle and quitting on landing or jolt. It now idles at 1400 and you can kick it to death but engine will not quit anymore.

2nd Complaint

I am now using both of them. One in GP PW Extra and the other in H9 Mustang 150. In 6 months or so of use, I noticed little play in the spinner when I moved it up and down. It turned out to be a broken tab on one of the mounting flanges. It was taken out and sent to DA. In 2 weeks from the day I sent it out on FedEx ground, I got it back repaired.

3rd Complaint

I loved them so much I simply flew and flew. In about a year or so they both started becoming harder and harder to start and requiring electric starter to start.
One engine was sent back and in 2 weeks time I got it back again. The problem was bad ignition and I was told the piston was cooked and needed whole bunch of parts. The bill of materials on replaced parts total $320 but all were replaced free of charge.

On one engine, I have to go back to break-in oil setup for the 3rd time because the piston and cyliner is new again. I am getting tired of keep doing break-in as the engine never seems to get old.

It has been 2 years since being exposed to DA stuff.

I now own 3 DA50s and 2 DA100s
Every time someting breaks I end up with one more DA engine than before the problem. If it keeps breaking, I won't know how many DAs I'm going to end up with.
This sort of business sucking in customers and keeping them loyal to DA should be made illegal. Whatever that DA is doing, I can't seem to even remember the problems I had initially with DA. They better straighten up their customer service or else I might end up with one dozen DAs.

Well I have had a pick-up problem is all I have had. Maybe they could make those a little better and last longer. But it seems you have had a lot of problems but they stand behind what they sell. I have saw some bad things happen with 3W and they told the customers too bad pay us if you want it fixed. I saw the same thing happen with ZDZ too!

They are small engines and we fly our butts off! Just take care of them as much as you can! Do your part. DA will do theirs! I will be glad to send them back and they fix them for free! I bought a DA 50 on my GP Wagstaff...It sure is better than the Fuji 50! I have a D.A 150 and looking forward to breaking it in this spring!

They are bit like Zenoah engines! They are just heavy tanks! That seem to last and last and take punishment! Man I know I punished mine and it is still going I sold it to a friend and he has recently sold it to another one of our friend's and it has been in 4 different airplanes! What a TANK the Zenoah G-62's are!

But the D.A. guys are great. Their customer service is great! I think if you explain to them how you feel and talk to Brain or David there at DA they will be glad to make it right for you! They are a great stand up company! I sure feel better about having these engines! Cause I know if I am at the field and something happens to the engine (without me crashing or abusing it) Which I do not do HARDLY anymore AHEM.... I know that it will be ok because DA is going to take care of me. I think you are saying DA is great is what I am reading from you! But just in case man! WOW they are great dude!

Hope this helps

K L O W N
flyingklown is offline Find More Posts by flyingklown
Old 02-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by WOODisGOOD
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
2,807 Posts

Man you guys had some bsd service. I sent my fiddy out to them on a monday. I called them the next monday because I forgot to put a note in the box as to what was wrong with it. When Brian answered he said we figured it out and its already on its way back to you.
WOODisGOOD is offline Find More Posts by WOODisGOOD
Old 02-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Find More Posts by Boghatize
Joined Jan 2006
60 Posts

Boy, I was startin' to get mah hackles up there a weee bit...very cool...my (problems) read soultions are exceedingly similiar, save one incident.

After flying at an event all day Saturday, Sunday comes and at another field, a no start occurs on my DA-fiddy. Holy Shiiite, NO COMPRESSION!
No damn start, no damn way.
I thought the ring had broke..I mean what in the hell else? No prop strike, just no start.
Mailed it off to DA on Monday, UPS standard ground..tracked it...DA recieved it Thursday, 12:05 pm...damn.
So I called to speak to Huff, (to ask how many rings were breaking in the real world)and DAve Johnson answered the phone...told him my plight, he took my number and told me he or someone would get back to me ASAP.

15 mins later Dave called me personal, (now mind you we ain't buddies and we ain't pals), explained that I had what's called a "dry hole" ..what the?
Yup, somehow over night the oil/remaining fuel evaporated from the cyl, (it was warm, June) and the cyl lost comp, ergo dry.
Seems that Dave said it does in fact happen from time to time, because of the design..intended design.
I said...Huh?
Well, like on the 3W line, they use 2 rings on thier pistons, ergo trapping the needed oil between the rings...this problem never occurs on 3W...

However, Dave went on, I simply prefer the preformance of a single ring design over a 2 ring design.
"Ohh..uuuh...sure..I completely unnerstan"...I stammered.

So that means I don't get to fly the event this upcoming weekend, but I'll get over it, wife will probrably have me paint the house or something else as rewarding...

Event, Dave asks?
Well yea, there is a Big Bird flyin I was hoping to get to...
No problem, you'll haver it tomorrow, FEDEX makes us the last pickup on Thursdays, so it will go out tonight, overnight.

Wow, that's great, so do you want my CC number for the charges?

That won't be necessary Mike, we appreciate your business....just keep us in mind when your getting your next one.

Uhh, sure...you THINK?...Thanks Dave...just one more thing...howisit YOU came to answer the phone?
Thursdays are our busiest days for service, so I stop production and send every able body capable of bench work to get the incoming sorted and inspected to see what can be turned around in one day, these days many of our customers only have a couple to 3 months of availible flying weather, and they really appreciate the quick turn around, as this is IMAC season.
Oh, good answer.

I can't hardly think of a reason to ever switch brands....can you?

Best to you all,
Mike
Boghatize is offline Find More Posts by Boghatize
Old 02-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts

Yeah I got a little beef against them too. I buy a DA 50 and decide to build a test stand to make sure it starts before I get my entire plane out to the field to run it. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME. I take the test stand to the field and start it just like the directions say and it starts perfectly every time. My friends all gather around to watch the engine run in a TEST STAND, all commenting how easy it starts and how great it runs. It could have been in an airplane flying around and I have it in this stupid looking TEST STAND.

Thanks DA, that's the last time I'll put one of your engines in my test stand. Did I mention how long it took me to make my test stand? It even had an rx and throttle servo!!!! ARGGGGGG.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 02-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by flyingklown
The Lonely Squire of Clinton
Alabama, Georiga, N & S Carolina, NYC, El Paso, TX, Connecticut
Joined Jan 2006
1,000 Posts

Oh DUDE! that really sucks. This is the worse one yet! If I were you I wouldn't send it back man right this instant! I would also not write a note and tell them that they don't suck too! I wouldn't box it up and send it out the first thing Monday morning!

Now that is what I would do and I don't blame you if you do just all that too!

K L O W N
flyingklown is offline Find More Posts by flyingklown

Quick Reply