logo
Old 05-15-2018, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
28x Fanboy
United States, KS, Topeka
Joined May 2014
275 Posts
Im not really a "Cub" guy and I want one!! As far as weight, a flying buddy has the 40% 40 pound AW Carbon Cub powered by the same DA120 I have in my 28lb H9 Extra 300. His cub does knife edge loops without problem. I have no worry about the weight of the XCub.
Mr. Scary is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-15-2018, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
iflytailies is really top notch, great move bringing them on-board for the panel- it looks great!
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 05-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Find More Posts by 74Ranch
United States, VA, Midlothian
Joined Sep 2013
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Machinchy View Post
The manual is currently under development. We had a delay due to two H9 products being released near the same time. I have a feeling it will be a few weeks till we see a completed manual for either. Sorry.

The cowling is 10.5" wide ( External ) Just the right size for a Saito 61 twin to fit. I already took liberties with the shape of the cowling from scale .... These full size guys never think of us modelers when they are designing a cowling My main goal was for the Evolution 62 and the Saito twin to fit without having to cut the cowling for the cylinders.
If this Cub is anything like the previous carbon Cub that I developed? I am sure we will see a host of different power systems fitted?

Regards Ali

Senior Product Developer Hangar 9
Ali, thanks for the info, you feel the 61 twin is enough? I got my Saito 60R3 in my Extreme Flight 91" Yak, it is a lot lighter than this cub and it fly's the Yak fine. you just won't do a lot crazy 3D with it. I just fly it in a very "sport" like manner. I was thinking of putting one of the Valach 85 twin gas four strokes in it or my DA70. I don't want to do 3D or crazy aerobatics with this plane just want enough A-- to get out of trouble. do want to thank you again for the response to my questions. Oh I just picked up my PA18 today and damn if now your causing me to spend more money! I did the full PRbush kit for the PA and was talking to Robert who said he is putting a kit together for the XCub, now I have to get on his list. any idea as to when the Cub will arrive.
Tom
74Ranch is offline Find More Posts by 74Ranch
Old 05-15-2018, 06:01 PM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,514 Posts
Ali,
i want to thank you for bringing this to the market... i got kind of burned out on RC last year and quit flying because to me and my skill 3d got boring and with my new family i don't have the time to practice for IMAC like i need to... this is exactly what has gotten me excited about flying RC again! while i would love a full scale X cub... its hard to justify a $300,000 cub... this is the ticket!
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 05-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Find More Posts by Frankieb
PR
Joined Mar 2007
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
That's at least three or more pounds heavier than the Aero-works version.
My 110" Aeroworks Sport Cub its on the 23 lbs. with a 55cc and 3 A123 batteries and a set of 6" Dubro inflatable tires. I think this 28 pounds XCub will do great. I have the 15cc Hangar 9 Carbon Cub and is a nice Cub Crafters Sport Plane. I have my one with a 20cc gas.
Frankieb is offline Find More Posts by Frankieb
Old 05-15-2018, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by CaptRKO
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, TX, Kemah
Joined Dec 2009
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futile flight View Post
does the RC world really need another cub and one at 900 bucs ?

dont get me wrong it's a cool plane its just been done over and over again plus I don't really like buying a special cub only for it to be discontinued with the next two years. were I will never be able to get a cowl or parts again
I agree with all this.....but......we could use a 1/3 Scale good ol' fashioned classic Yellow J-3 Cub. Covered with some solartex or other fabric looking material. Just me.
CaptRKO is offline Find More Posts by CaptRKO
Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieb View Post
My 110" Aeroworks Sport Cub its on the 23 lbs. with a 55cc and 3 A123 batteries and a set of 6" Dubro inflatable tires. I think this 28 pounds XCub will do great. I have the 15cc Hangar 9 Carbon Cub and is a nice Cub Crafters Sport Plane. I have my one with a 20cc gas.
My 14lb busa at 108 with a 35cc will fly circles around your aeroworks.. my 1/3busa at 28 lbs with its 140 wing will too...But thats the point, this is like trying to explain to the guy at the field flying a glow powered ugly stick how much better a modern lightweight 40% aerobatic gasser flies. The new horizon cub will be a good flyer, a great-flyer NO- not by my standards at least.
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 05-18-2018, 06:56 AM
Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar 9
Joined Jan 2016
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Ranch View Post
Ali, thanks for the info, you feel the 61 twin is enough? I got my Saito 60R3 in my Extreme Flight 91" Yak, it is a lot lighter than this cub and it fly's the Yak fine. you just won't do a lot crazy 3D with it. I just fly it in a very "sport" like manner. I was thinking of putting one of the Valach 85 twin gas four strokes in it or my DA70. I don't want to do 3D or crazy aerobatics with this plane just want enough A-- to get out of trouble. do want to thank you again for the response to my questions. Oh I just picked up my PA18 today and damn if now your causing me to spend more money! I did the full PRbush kit for the PA and was talking to Robert who said he is putting a kit together for the XCub, now I have to get on his list. any idea as to when the Cub will arrive.
Tom
The Saito 61 is amazing! I have made 6 flights on it so far and its already great power. No! Not 3D power. But far greater than scale power. Especially for aerobatics. For me. Its the perfect match for this plane and how I want to fly it. I have Extra's and Yaks for when my 3D itch needs scratching. I love the Xcub for all the other types of flying. Which it does sooooooo much better than any 3D plane I have ever flown. I will try to get some video up once I have put a bit more time on the engine and put the right prop on. Right now. All I had to get flying was a prop at the very top end of the recommended list. Not ideal I know, but I am baby'ing the engine right now.
Regards Ali
Ali Machinchy is offline Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Old 05-18-2018, 07:20 AM
Joined Sep 2013
434 Posts
Thanks again Ali, will look forward to the videos, I don't have the 3d skills, like scale flying with some acrobatics, but I do like extra H.P. ya never know when you might need it to get out of something stupid. did you baffle this engine, and do you know what kind of temps you are running. I know this engine , like the 90R3 have heat sinks on them, didn't know if baffling is required.
Tom
Old 05-18-2018, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by Raleighcopter
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2016
316 Posts
Quote:
Not sure what else people might want from a Cub?
Will my neighbor's cat be able to claw its way out of the cockpit during the maiden?
Raleighcopter is offline Find More Posts by Raleighcopter
Old 05-21-2018, 08:08 AM
Find More Posts by frank99
United States, AR, Sheridan
Joined Oct 2009
4,043 Posts
Quote:
The manual is currently under development. We had a delay due to two H9 products being released near the same time. I have a feeling it will be a few weeks till we see a completed manual for either. Sorry.

The cowling is 10.5" wide ( External ) Just the right size for a Saito 61 twin to fit. I already took liberties with the shape of the cowling from scale .... These full size guys never think of us modelers when they are designing a cowling My main goal was for the Evolution 62 and the Saito twin to fit without having to cut the cowling for the cylinders.
If this Cub is anything like the previous carbon Cub that I developed? I am sure we will see a host of different power systems fitted?

Regards Ali

Senior Product Developer Hangar 9
Ali can you help me find the vid of the xcub with the satio twin 61, sound is nice, tks frank
frank99 is offline Find More Posts by frank99
Old 05-21-2018, 10:52 AM
Joined Jan 2016
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank99 View Post
Ali can you help me find the vid of the xcub with the satio twin 61, sound is nice, tks frank
I was hoping to get this video done at the weekend, ,but things did not work out. We are filming a new product video this week. I will see if I can sneak an Xcub flight into that day. If not. We are at a fly in on Sunday. I am sure I can get one done then.

Regards Ali
Old 05-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by frank99
United States, AR, Sheridan
Joined Oct 2009
4,043 Posts
Quote:
I was hoping to get this video done at the weekend, ,but things did not work out. We are filming a new product video this week. I will see if I can sneak an Xcub flight into that day. If not. We are at a fly in on Sunday. I am sure I can get one done then.

Regards Ali
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
frank99 is offline Find More Posts by frank99
Old 05-22-2018, 05:05 AM
Joined Sep 2013
434 Posts
+1, I have ordered both the Saito 61 and the Xcub. now just waiting for them to become available. waiting is something I don't do well.Tom
Old 05-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Joined Jan 2016
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Ranch View Post
+1, I have ordered both the Saito 61 and the Xcub. now just waiting for them to become available. waiting is something I don't do well.Tom
Tom,
Nice ! Congrats, and thank you.

If it helps ease the pain of waiting. You are more than welcome to come to our flying field and get some flying in on our demo plane ( s ) we have 3 that are ready to go. We have a big event coming up in a few weeks called RC fest, and there is open flying. I understand it may be a trek, but the offer is there for you Tom, and anyone else that ants to join us and get some flying time in. I will be there all three days, and like nothing more than sharing my toys
Regards Ali

Quick Reply