Old 08-25-2019, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,165 Posts
Discussion
High Alpha - Clipped Wing Cub?

Hello!

I have a 25% Bill Hempel clipped wing Cub. Power is a DA-50 with Hitec 7955 servos all around. I love the way this Cub flys. The performance is outstanding. I find it does a terrific job with torque rolls, tumbles, rolling circles, slow knife edge passes, one wheel landings, point rolls, etc. The one thing I can't seem to get it to do is high alpha flight. I've seen plenty of videos of Cubs making harrier passes. I can't seem to pull it off though. I have 45+ degrees of elevator and the DA-50 is spinning a 23" prop. I've tried moving the CG back a couple of inches and that didn't improve the situation. I've also tried reflexing the ailerons up some, but that didn't help either. As I enter a harrier the wing starts dramatically rocking. Its at least 40-50 degrees of bank each direction. I can't damp it out with the ailerons. Rudder helps some, but in short order I find the cub inverted or so stalled and spinning. Is there something that I can do with my setup to improve the harriers? I know a high wing, flat bottom plane shouldn't be flying low and slow 3D, but I've seen enough videos that I know its possible.
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-25-2019, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by madinpensacola
New plane junkie
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jun 2014
2,367 Posts
Just a theory... Those are outboard ailerons with no flaps as I recall. I had a 1/3 scale clipped wing cub. There’s a great loss of roll control post stall with lack of aileron airflow I found. Had minor success mixing in a v-tail mix with the elevators... better but still “challenging” shall we say, lol
Super cubs can go full span aileron with flap mix.
madinpensacola is offline Find More Posts by madinpensacola
Old 08-25-2019, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,165 Posts
I have enough aileron authority to keep it from turning in a torque roll. However it’ll be easy to setup ailevators. I’ll give it a try next weekend.
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 08-25-2019, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
690 Posts
Hi alpha is still a weak point for me due to wing rock, which is why I can tell you based on my own attempts and research. Your wing rock is due to you not fully stalling the wing. It's still close enough to flying that each wing stalls just enough that as soon as it does, it drops, the next one follows, and this reduces AOA enough it starts flying again and repeats. The trick is to not "ask", but "tell" the plane to go into higher alpha to fully stall the entire wing. What do I mean? When you nudge it into high alpha, doing so just enough to stall it is "asking" it to respond. When you get forceful on the elevator and jam it so the plane has no choice but to go into a deeper stall, that is "telling" it to do something. I spent too much time learning 3d by asking. Once I got over that, it came easier. That may not fix a cub that simply won't fully stall, but it should get you as close as possible to making it happen if possible.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 08-25-2019, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
How does it act inverted? I bet better?
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer

Quick Reply