logo
Old 12-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts
Re: Can I really trust this 2.4 stuff?

Probably should ask anyone close to you to do the same huh?
Al Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Chile, Antofagasta, Antofagasta Province
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts

Al.

You have to be pretty close with the radio and the phone. Some do it, some dont. But it sure as hell does happen and thats indisputable. Its a fact and you can write it off as a myth if anyone wants to but I seen it, I seen the phone tossed and that YAK got to live another day with 20 feet to spare. Lets just say the guy owes Andrew a good few beers for saving his butt.

But having said all that its the only time I have seen it and I know guys who talk on the darned phone while flying, Bluetooth earpiece of course.

Look: the reality is nothing is really infallible and even less so when you get a human bean in the middle of the equation. (no thats not a typo). There are so many things that can go wrong and do go wrong and when all said and done gravity (sucks) always wins out.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old 12-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by Craven
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Feb 2006
10,852 Posts

I won't fly 2.4 during a blizzard, hurricane, tornado or driving rainstorm.
Craven is offline Find More Posts by Craven
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 12-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by MadMonkey
That's "MISTER" idiot to you!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2007
1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2walla View Post
Because the honest truth is most modelers are not that smart...
Yes, only idiots have problems with 2.4 because it is 100% reliable.

Give me a break.
MadMonkey is offline Find More Posts by MadMonkey
Old 12-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by Tweaker
Flyin' Around
United States, AR, Lowell
Joined Jun 2006
184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven View Post
I won't fly 2.4 during a blizzard, hurricane, tornado or driving rainstorm.
Hmm you may have found my other issue with 2.4ghz, in winds 20+ mph it seems to "scramble" the 2.4 signal. I can hardly control the airplane in winds above 20 mph, it's like something else is moving the airplane around. Makes me feel anxious.
Tweaker is offline Find More Posts by Tweaker
Old 12-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by ken6881
Henderson, Ky
Joined Aug 2008
1,767 Posts

I lost a plane to both 2.4(33%suhkoi) and to 72(40size profile). I guess you can have failures with eather system. Just to clarify on the 2.4 it was not a power system issue. Both batteries load checked fine before and after the flight and both regulators and switches are working perfectly. All of which were fromeco. I am still flying 2.4 and with only one issue and no one else with the same problem on the same receiver I assume it was an isolated event.
ken6881 is offline Find More Posts by ken6881
Old 12-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts

ken yours really did seem to be a radio issue. it had what 2 miles to reconnect and didn't.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 12-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Suspended Account
SanAntonio,TX
Joined Jun 2006
3,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgold View Post
They will use a motor with 80 pounds of thrust to fly a 39 pound airplane and use a battery that's 3.3 ounces lighter because they don't want to slow the plane down on vertical and then wonder why they browned out and had a lockout.

WTF???
MikeC3D is offline Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Old 12-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by ljaganna
phoenix, arizona
Joined Nov 2006
367 Posts

I was nervous as well about switching to 2.4. The nervousness was partly why I chose to go with JR receivers with the 12X transmitter. The reason is that JR/spectrum recievers can have multiple remote receivers, and also have the dataport. You do not have to wonder how good your radio uplink is.....you can see the numbers for yourself....after every flight if you choose to check.
It's been about 7months now, and I have converted all my 4 gas planes, 2 electrics & 1 heli to JR 2.4Ghz.
I've checked the dataport for all these planes so many times now....I have never seen even a single frame loss(let alone holds), so I have used the dataport to build my confidence, and at this time I am quite comfortable with it.

(I never used the JR wall charger that came with the 12X....that has been known to overcharge the Tx battery and mess it up)
ljaganna is offline Find More Posts by ljaganna
Old 12-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Find More Posts by ken6881
Henderson, Ky
Joined Aug 2008
1,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
ken yours really did seem to be a radio issue. it had what 2 miles to reconnect and didn't.
Yeah it had about 15 min to reconnect and never did. Tried everything turning the radio on and off. Shoot we even pulled out the 72mhz antenna for a while.
ken6881 is offline Find More Posts by ken6881
Old 12-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
Yes, only idiots have problems with 2.4 because it is 100% reliable.

Give me a break.
No, but I guarantee more than 85% of the problems are user induced. No one I know has had an issue with 2.4 since they began flying it, but they all have solid, quality setups. I have both Futaba and Spektrum, with 1000s of flights, and not ONE issue. Unfortunately, not all modelers take the proper time or car to set things up correctly. Unfortunately, that is not 2.4, 72mhz, or Ham-Bands fault...
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 12-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Tex
Find More Posts by Tex
Tex
United States, TX, Iowa Park
Joined Aug 2007
2,478 Posts

I wouldnt fly a $10,000 dollar plane like this if I had an ounce of doubt.......It works great....
Tex is offline Find More Posts by Tex
Old 12-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by 3ddd
tissue ? cry baby jack wagon!
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
2,886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I wouldnt fly a $10,000 dollar plane like this if I had an ounce of doubt.......It works great....

i will have to ask on that,your builder i think told his wife he only made 500 dollars on that build
3ddd is offline Find More Posts by 3ddd
Old 12-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Tex
Find More Posts by Tex
Tex
United States, TX, Iowa Park
Joined Aug 2007
2,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ddd View Post
i will have to ask on that,your builder i think told his wife he only made 500 dollars on that build
What he tells is wife and what I tell my wife...is 2 worlds apart.......My wife knows I spent 8 grand on parts that I ordered.......she dont know about the builders fee.
Tex is offline Find More Posts by Tex
Old 12-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by Superrmario
Man Up!!
The beach, in NJ
Joined Feb 2009
784 Posts

I have to be honest and hate to be negitive, but I have had Multiple issues with my 2.4 setup.

Now with that said, I am the FIRST person to say that I Dumb Thumbed an airplane and put it in, and I have done it a few times

I have been flying exclusivly with JR. First with a DX7 and AR7000 receivers, and than with a X9303 with the AR7000's I have, as well as a microlite, AR500 Fullrange, and a JR921 that came with my 9303.

The DX7 had MULTIPLE failures. Called up HH and the told me to send the radio back. Verdic: They replaced the RF board as well as the antenna and mast, 1 week after I sent it back, I got a call, repaired, sorry for the inconvienience and they shipped it back no charge.

I had multiple AR7000's go back, and they either replaced them or updated them with the quick connect.

My AR500 5 channel I use in my Big Stick for fun flys just Failed on me on the ground. Though it was a battery, checked it, and it was fine. Though it was a switch, and routed a diffrent switch to it, same thing. The control surfaces would just flutter slowly. Pulled the receiver out, and it was RED hot. Thats going back this week.

Now that I have moved to the gas realm, I am a bit off set with trust. HH service is 200% and the best I have EVER worked with. There is never a problem with them.

My 9303 is binding funny now. I always bind the first time out of the plane directly off the receiver. Bind plug into the power port, and the battery into any open channel, bind, set up plane, and then bind again with the failsafe and my own throttle cut.

This time around I tried to bind my 921 and it bound no problem. Put it into the airplane, hooked a few servos up and keyed up the radio. Nothing. Hmm. So i rebound while in the aiframe, same thing. Here is the funny thing. If I cycle the power switch back and forth rapidly, the receiver will blink as if there was a brown / blackout, and then it will connect.

I am jsut a bit apprehensive now...
Superrmario is offline Find More Posts by Superrmario
Last edited by Superrmario; 12-06-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply