1Corinthians 3:18
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Discussion
SKYWING 104" EXTRA NG

SKYWING 104" EXTRA NG
Assembly/Build/Discussion

skywing 104"Extra NG 120cc gp123 (2 min 51 sec)

PRODUCT DATA & LINK
Wingspan;104 in./2641mm
Lenqth:102.6 in./2608mm
Wing Area:1920.5sq in/123.9dm²
Weight:28.22 lbs/12.8kg
https://www.skywing-rc.com/product_72034.html

Product Information from the MFGR:
1. Advanced construction for today's demanding pilots
2. PATENTED quick assembly canopy, wings and elevator systems EXCLUSIVE to Skywing
3. Fast assembly time with pre-hinged and pre-sealed ailerons and elevators
4. Factory assembled detailed canopy interior.
5. Removable rudder with single pin assembly
6. Incredible value NOW WITH MATCHING SPINNER, fuel tank, fuel line, fuel and vent dot, wing and stab bags, as well as preinstalled high-quality extensions.
7. cowl prefabricated cooling baffle

REQUIRED HARDWARE:
1. 100-120cc Gas Engine
2. Carbon Propeller (27x11, 28x10, 29x9)
3. Digital High Speed Throttle Servo
4. Digital High Torque Metal Gear Servos (38kg or above) 7-8
5. Arms - tapped for 3mm hardware (ailerons 4/1.75", elevator x 2/1.75", rudder x 1 or2/1.75") *7-8
6. Extensions - throttle(450MM) *1
7. Extensions - outer ailerons (600mm/2pcs 100mm/2pcs) *4
8. Dual Servo Harnesses - easy assembly at the field Receiver, Battery Packs, Switches, ETC.

Packaging Size/ Weight:
Fuselage=214*55*42cm/16.5kg
Wing=132*70*18cm/8.0kg
Cowl=46*42*42cm/3.1kg

Extra NG-A(White) Oracover: white-10, red-23, pearl blue-57, corsair blue-19, Skywing Customized Metal gray-sw04

Extra NG-B(yellow): Oracover: cub yellow-30, red-23, pearl blue-57, corsair blue-19, silver-91

I'm just starting my assembly and since it's something I enjoy sharing and posting about.... why not start a thread!!!! Don't worry, lots of pictures and videos to come...
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-15-2023, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by AKNick
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Had Tim whistle a RWB scheme up from NWRC to Alaska in the beginning of the year, Unboxed and hung it up for a bit so I could gather all my goodies to start the build. I'm going to kick this one off by sharing photos from the manufactures website and post my favorite videos of this plane in action. This will be my first 120cc if you can believe it and I'm pretty excited about it!
Old 04-15-2023, 11:07 PM
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Some Videos I've been watching to maintain my enthusiasm to get this bird airborne and some nice unboxing videos to enjoy from other people.

Flying Videos:

Jonathan Bossion
Skywing rc extra 330 NG 104 Jonathan bossion (4 min 30 sec)

Neal Kapaloric
Skywing Extra NG 104" - Neal Kapaloric (10 min 38 sec)

SkyWing
skywing 104"extra NG (1 min 57 sec)

Unboxing & Building Videos:

AJ Hobby Unboxing
Unboxing the Skywing RC 104" Extra NG at A&J Hobbies www.HobbyProsDepot.com (19 min 18 sec)

Joey Tavora Unboxing & Building
Unboxing and a detailed look at the Skywing RC Extra NG 104" (22 min 4 sec)

Part1
104" Skywing Extra NG build part 1. Landing gear, rudder and tail-wheel assembly. (22 min 8 sec)

Part2
104" Skywing Extra NG build part 2. Elevator, control horns and aileron servo matching/setup. (14 min 29 sec)

Part3
104" Skywing Extra NG build part 3. Engine, cowl and first start. (9 min 48 sec)
Old 04-16-2023, 06:26 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
Interesting pics of the new SW Yak. Check out the dual wing connectors and the stab connector setup.
ghoffman is online now Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 04-16-2023, 07:48 AM
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
I saw that! Yes, Skywing continues to innovate and improve existing construction. It’s pretty amazing the added value of their products that I think is overlooked by so many. Just thinking about how they include most of the wiring, carbon spinner with a jig alignment tool, fuel tank, fuel lines and plugs, foam baffles, wire looming, ect. At no added cost unlike most other manufactures. Now they are selling balsa plug and play versions up to 67”… it’s just a matter of time before the gasser PNP becomes a thing. Their quick connections are top shelf along with their fit and finish. They’ve won me over as a customer.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by kenbry
United States, AZ, Surprise
Joined Jan 2023
516 Posts
I’ll be watching this build with interest. So bummed over EF and NW joining. Pretty sure EF will kill the Skywing brand same as they have with others. They could learn a thing or two from SW. That or make sure there is no overlap of product.
kenbry is offline Find More Posts by kenbry
Old 04-16-2023, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Hey Nick, you'll love this plane
Flying characteristics are half way between the aggressiveness of the ARS300 and the precision / refined nature of the EDGE 540.

It's fantastic!!!

As per the AJ Hobbies / Hobbyprosdepot video you posted, I use the DLE130 with 29x10 Mejzlic prop, M52 Bluebird Servos, it's an amazing setup. Cg will be slightly behind the wing tube.

Looking forward to your build.
JoeT is offline Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 04-16-2023, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by always flying
Brow Beatin'....
Lethbridge,Ab
Joined Jan 2006
387 Posts
Thanks for starting this Nick! - I’ve had mine for almost 2 yrs waiting to be built. Your the inspiration I needed Ha!

Da 120cc & MTW headers and cans
Futaba 9177 servos
Let’s go!!
always flying is offline Find More Posts by always flying
Old 04-16-2023, 07:06 PM
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbry View Post
I’ll be watching this build with interest. So bummed over EF and NW joining. Pretty sure EF will kill the Skywing brand same as they have with others. They could learn a thing or two from SW. That or make sure there is no overlap of product.
Great!! Hard to say the outcome of Skywing with Extreme Flight, but it allows them to stock products on the shelves while innovating and building their brand. I think it's a win for them for quite some time. I love Tim's NWRC and am sad to have him leave the west coast. I'm equally bummed that with VVRC moving to Indiana, NWRC closing and joining up with EF in Georgia, Chief Aircraft leaving Pilot products and the new location for the distributer to be in Florida.... All of this has left a HUGE gap for the West Coast. It blows my mind that NWRC isn't viable, and the answer was to merge rather than expand operations as I Truley believe that the demand is there. Anyways! Enough of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
Hey Nick, you'll love this plane
Flying characteristics are half way between the aggressiveness of the ARS300 and the precision / refined nature of the EDGE 540.

It's fantastic!!!

As per the AJ Hobbies / Hobbyprosdepot video you posted, I use the DLE130 with 29x10 Mejzlic prop, M52 Bluebird Servos, it's an amazing setup. Cg will be slightly behind the wing tube.

Looking forward to your build.
Thanks Joe! I've been eyeing the airframe for a while and believe it is floaty and can do all the break free aggressive tumbles all while being stable and predictable. what more can a guy ask for!?!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by always flying View Post
Thanks for starting this Nick! - I’ve had mine for almost 2 yrs waiting to be built. Your the inspiration I needed Ha!

Da 120cc & MTW headers and cans
Futaba 9177 servos
Let’s go!!
Awesome!! Feel free to share your build here as well man! I bought it in December/January and been gathering my goodies. I'll be adding all my intended build items in the near future.

Thanks for all the posts fellas! Can't wait to get this puppy airborne. If it's like any other skywing product I've owned the builds are pretty fast and everything just fits
Old 04-16-2023, 07:53 PM
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Those with headers. What drop did you go with? I've been told 85mm??
Old 04-16-2023, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by Lojik
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Sunbury
Joined Dec 2009
180 Posts
104" Yak...... when

Love the yaks, kind of hoping SW will take on a Sukhoi or a Yak 55M, now that would be a model I'd snap up
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Old 04-17-2023, 03:55 AM
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Not sure how many of you out there in TV land wait until the kids are asleep to resume putting together your planes but that’s me these days! Lined things up for a “photo shoot”, and started in some stuff. More to come

You yak guys need to start a yak thread love me a yak though! Just another squirrel to look at lol!
Old 04-17-2023, 05:43 AM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNick View Post
Yup, JMB canisters. 85mm drop on the DLE130
JoeT is offline Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 04-17-2023, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by always flying
Brow Beatin'....
Lethbridge,Ab
Joined Jan 2006
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNick View Post
Nick,

I went with the MTW knuckle headers that you form the drop then solder. hope this helps?
always flying is offline Find More Posts by always flying
Old 04-17-2023, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by cale10
Free Beer
Joined Sep 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbry View Post
Not to keep the thread too off topic, but SkyWing and EF both are two separate companies, with two separate factories but they’re working together. Unless one buys out the other, I’m sure we will continue to see both brands for the foreseeable future. Both are fantastic companies and I’d be very disappointed if either disappeared.
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10

Quick Reply