logo
Old 10-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by guitar dave
Castlegar,B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2006
45 Posts
Discussion
Lipo batteries for transmitter

How do you guys that are using Lipo batteries in your transmitters charge them ? Do you remove them from the transmitter or not ? Do you just use the charging system that came with the transmitter ? I have a JR XG11 that came with Life batteries but am considering switching to LIPO primarily because they cost a lot less. I am concerned about safety of charging as I always remove and charge my receiver LIPO,s in a safe charging environment using balance charge. Is this necessary with the transmitter ? It seems to that the same fire dangers that exist with flight pack LIPOs would occur with the transmitter.
guitar dave is offline Find More Posts by guitar dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-07-2019, 07:21 PM
Find More Posts by Airiley
United States, VA, Lynchburg
Joined Jul 2016
241 Posts
Safest of course is to remove and charge in a lipo safe bag whilst standing over it the whole time with a fire extinguisher in one hand and your cell phone in the other with the fire department on speed dial.
That being said, I never remove any lithium chemistry for charging. Most batteries I charge at a low rate 1/2C typically. If the pack shows any type of puffing, that's another story.
I trust my charger, not all do a great job of balancing and staying below peak voltage. I actually set mine to charge to 4.17. The big heli packs I will charge at around 3C rate, they are quality brand packs.
Just what I do since you are asking.
I do not remove transmitter pack from transmitter, but since I have to hook up the balance leads I take off the battery cover.
Airiley is offline Find More Posts by Airiley
Old 10-07-2019, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
The XG11 wont handle LiPo. Best bet is to find a little larger capacity LiFe or an A123 pack.

Now, if you said you had a JR 11X, I would say, go LiPo, all day long.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 10-08-2019, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
JR DA 215 Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,829 Posts
There's absolutely nothing wrong with stock OEM batteries,,, keep it simple

BV
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 10-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
2 wings are better than 1
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Stick wit the LiFe pack. If you go LiPo, not only do you have to worry about charging safety, but you also need to storage charge them for good lifespan, worry about cold weather performance, etc.

The cost of a LiFe is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of a high end transmitter... and LiFe last so much longer than LiPo you might upgrade to a new TX before you wear that battery out. Really making an issue out of nothing IMHO.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Old 10-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
Stick wit the LiFe pack. If you go LiPo, not only do you have to worry about charging safety, but you also need to storage charge them for good lifespan, worry about cold weather performance, etc.

The cost of a LiFe is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of a high end transmitter... and LiFe last so much longer than LiPo you might upgrade to a new TX before you wear that battery out. Really making an issue out of nothing IMHO.

How exactly does LiFe last longer than LiPo? If you have the same capacity of each type, then its a non issue. I have LiPos that are over 6 years old, and I couldnt get 1 season out of LiFe or A123 packs.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 10-08-2019, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
ToI have 2 life packs that are 8 years old...and several 6 years old... They usually last me so long I write the date on them in permanent marker so I can remember. They always last longer than the plane I bought them for....lol
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Last edited by ponyboy082662; 10-11-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by dusturbd
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2015
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky F. Knuckle View Post
How exactly does LiFe last longer than LiPo? If you have the same capacity of each type, then its a non issue. I have LiPos that are over 6 years old, and I couldnt get 1 season out of LiFe or A123 packs.
I have nothing but LiFe and A123 battery’s and all of them are at least 4 years old some are older
dusturbd is offline Find More Posts by dusturbd
Old 10-09-2019, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airiley View Post
Safest of course is to remove and charge in a lipo safe bag whilst standing over it the whole time with a fire extinguisher in one hand and your cell phone in the other with the fire department on speed dial.
That being said, I never remove any lithium chemistry for charging. Most batteries I charge at a low rate 1/2C typically. If the pack shows any type of puffing, that's another story.
I trust my charger, not all do a great job of balancing and staying below peak voltage. I actually set mine to charge to 4.17. The big heli packs I will charge at around 3C rate, they are quality brand packs.
Just what I do since you are asking.
I do not remove transmitter pack from transmitter, but since I have to hook up the balance leads I take off the battery cover.
good points , Advanced Radio has a new micro charger that can be mounted in the plane for Rx batt charging of 2batts or more at same time with different chemistry , LiPo,LiFe, LiIo.
use good batts and good chargers ! stay away from the crap at discount store
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 10-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
2 wings are better than 1
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky F. Knuckle View Post

Lots of published test data on A123 from evaluations NASA did for space applications is freely available online:

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...pl_dcarmen.pdf
See slide 9 for testing of A123 M1 cells out to 5000 cycle lifespans. The reference LiIon (probably a laptop cell) didn't even make 1000. A lot of hobby LiPos Ive used puff before 250.

If your batteries didn't last a year they must be generic cells, old stock or counterfeit A123. All the genuine A123 cells I've ever used last pretty much forever. I switch them out after 5 years just to be cautious, but I still have old DeWalt power tool pulls that have to be close to a decade old that test OK, I keep them around the shop for bench testing.

I even accidentally left a pack turned on all winter once, discharged to zero, and was able to recover it using the restore mode on a FMA Powerlab. It still shows 80% of factory new capacity, though I would not trust it in the air.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin

Quick Reply