logo
Old 07-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Find More Posts by MINI30BOB
United States, MI, Clinton
Joined Jul 2016
136 Posts
Question
Top Flite P-47 cockpit kit decals

Hello. I'm in the process of building a Top Flite P-47 cockpit kit that I have modified to fit into a Hangar 9 60 size P-47 razorback. After measuring the decals themselves and the spaces on the instrument panel itself it appears to me these will be a really tight fit within the bezel for each gauge. Is there a trick to getting these individual decals cut out in such a way that they fit nicely? Is there another alternative to using these decals or a better instrument panel out there? Appreciate any help I can get from those who have experience with this cockpit kit or who have had this issue with others. Thank you.
MINI30BOB is offline Find More Posts by MINI30BOB
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-26-2018, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by Wrbrdluvr
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined May 2017
9 Posts
Hi there.
I personally prefer to make my own instrument panels but I have built up a couple of the TF kits. If I did one again, I would just use the bezels and make my own panel.
What I did with my last TF panel was to mount the individual guage faces from behind the panel. It was a bit of work but it made a nice panel. Wish I still had the plane so I could show you the results.. Heres what I did.
I cut some light ply (balsa will work) to mount the instrument faces and painted it black. I cut the faces with scissors and just glued them to the wood. I found a clear plastic package (the ones we all fight to get into) that had a large flat section I could cut into oversize squares to lay over the faces. On the back of the TF panel, it has indents for the bezels. I cut the clear acetate package into a size and shape to fit the outside dimension for the bezel. You want for example the full square of the bezel, not just the round guage. Once you open the hold for just the guage, the acetate sheet behind will simulate the glass in the guage. Now take the guage thats glued to the wood and cut it to the same size as the acetate sheet but with the guage face centered on where the opening is for the face in the TF panel. Once youre happy with how the wood fits the back of the panel (snug is good) and the alignment of the instrument face with the opening, you can glue it in. Place the acetate in first with the guage behind it. Hold it down tight so it all fits snug against the opening and the place a few drops of 5 min epoxy around the edge of the wood. The idea is to hold the wood from falling away from the back of the panel. Once thats set, I usually went around and added more epoxy around the outside of the wood to make pretty much a full bead of epoxy around the edge. Try to be careful not to allow the epoxy to seep past the wood and mess up the face. Thats why keeping the wood a tight fit in the recess is a good idea.
Hope that helps you in your quest. Its a bit of a project on its own but youll be happy with your results.
Good luck. Kevin
Wrbrdluvr is offline Find More Posts by Wrbrdluvr
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply