Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by pfoot748
Nevada, Ohio
Joined Oct 2007
410 Posts
Re: Extreme Flight 58" Extra Glow version

I've had one for awhile now but haven't flown it lately. I don't have anything against Saito engines but I started out with the 82 in this one and got tired of the deadsticks. Power and weight was about perfect... right at 5 lbs with a 14x4 apc. I mainly fly gas but like to keep 1 or 2 glow planes going and have always had great experiences with O.S. so I think the Extra is getting the new 81 4 stroke if I can find a decent deal on one. It's 2 ounces heavier but the power should be insane. In the pics it is 3 lbs 13 oz with everything but motor and prop. I'm running 3 Hitec 5245 (ele.&ailerons) 1 Hitec 81 (throttle) and 1 Hitec 5625 on the rudder, electron 6 RX, Flight Power 800mAh Lipo w/ Smartfly regulator and 11oz tank but will probably go to 8oz tank depending on fuel consumption of new motor. The approx 10 flights I have on it were enough to know that this is no different than any other E.F. plane with awesome flight performance and I couldn't believe how light it is on the wings, it reminded me of my profile on the first liftoff.
pfoot748 is offline Find More Posts by pfoot748
Old 01-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by nitrobeast
NJ
Joined Oct 2007
100 Posts

I have one too but have not gotten much time on it. Looking at your pic maybe your tank is too far back?
I have 2 5245 on the elevators and 2 on the ailerons, hs81 for throttle and 645mg for the rudder.
I went with the fromeco battery and regulator. I dont know my weight but ill guess its heavier then yours.

I ran a 13x6 on my 82 but i think i have to try a 14x4 too. Did you like that prop on it? I think the 13 is to small for the 82.
nitrobeast is offline Find More Posts by nitrobeast
Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Nevada, Ohio
Joined Oct 2007
410 Posts

I think that maybe the saito needed a pump or the fuel tank moved ahead to shorten the lines like you said but I also want the tank as close to the wingtube as possible. I was turning the 14x4 @10,200 on the ground. The bigger the prop the better imo. My battery and reg setup is 2oz. Any problems in flight with your motor and is your tank up at the firewall?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by BR289
Pro Pit Biotch
United States, PA, Whitehall
Joined Jan 2006
4,073 Posts

I have been thinking of getting one together myself and converting it to glow with maybe an OS .55AX
Blair
BR289 is offline Find More Posts by BR289
Old 01-28-2008, 02:49 PM
NJ
Joined Oct 2007
100 Posts

Mine has only flown 3 times. On the third flight i had a dead stick about 10 feet off the ground and nose in it went. I think it was my niddle settings. I have since ran it on the ground and all was well. Hopefully this weekend ill get it in the air and be able to report more info.

I hear you on wanting the tank back. Mine was really nose heavy up there. I replace the stock tank with a 12oz tank and it was better.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Nevada, Ohio
Joined Oct 2007
410 Posts

That stock tank they send sure is on the hefty side compared to a dubro or similar. I didn't even think twice about where I mounted my tank because I'm so used to gassers with pumping carbs. I plan to leave it where it is with the new motor and think it should work. I have a cracked cowl thanks to a deadstick in a hover. New cowl goes on once its dialed in.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:02 PM
NJ
Joined Oct 2007
100 Posts

Same for me on the cowl. I also cracked the canopy a little. Im gonna see how the 12oz goes this weekend hopefully and ill let you know. I was gonna try and stay away from the pump but ill sell
Old 01-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by kolarshooter
Paso Robles, Ca.
Joined Mar 2006
112 Posts

Time to cannibalize the gear from my old EF profile...this Extra is exactly what I've been looking for. IMAC practice without towing my trailer! My Saito .72 and electronics might have a new home!

Question...I've been spoiled with gas...are any of the newer generation small gasser engines appropriate for .40 or .60 size planes? I know everyone's looking at electric, so maybe small gassers are off of peoples' radar screens, but I like "fill-n-fly" instead of "fly-then-charge (for hours)" or replace battery packs ($$$) which have a finite lifespan. I suppose going to electric might be inevitable, and there are plenty of advantages, but if the weight "penalty" of watts vs. gas is comparable...I'm still inclined to go gas. Any thoughts?
kolarshooter is offline Find More Posts by kolarshooter
Old 01-29-2008, 10:59 AM
NJ
Joined Oct 2007
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolarshooter View Post
Time to cannibalize the gear from my old EF profile...this Extra is exactly what I've been looking for. IMAC practice without towing my trailer! My Saito .72 and electronics might have a new home!

Question...I've been spoiled with gas...are any of the newer generation small gasser engines appropriate for .40 or .60 size planes? I know everyone's looking at electric, so maybe small gassers are off of peoples' radar screens, but I like "fill-n-fly" instead of "fly-then-charge (for hours)" or replace battery packs ($$$) which have a finite lifespan. I suppose going to electric might be inevitable, and there are plenty of advantages, but if the weight "penalty" of watts vs. gas is comparable...I'm still inclined to go gas. Any thoughts?
If there is a gasser for this plane im in!!!! I want a gasser but not ready for a plane of that size.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by krayzc
Kannapolis, North Carolina
Joined Mar 2007
2,871 Posts

nice looking bird....
krayzc is offline Find More Posts by krayzc
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by kolarshooter
Paso Robles, Ca.
Joined Mar 2006
112 Posts

Maybe the BME .90 ST conversion?
kolarshooter is offline Find More Posts by kolarshooter
Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
NJ
Joined Oct 2007
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolarshooter View Post
Maybe the BME .90 ST conversion?
The saito 72 and 82 come it at 16-17oz. the bme one is 26oz. Not sure how thats gonna work out. It would be cool.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Nevada, Ohio
Joined Oct 2007
410 Posts

I found an individual selling a brand new O.S. 81FS-a for 60 bucks less than what tower wants for it and I should have it by the weekend. These are supposed to be very clean for glow motors with no breather and a v. stack to keep the carb from spitting fuel and have the power of the 91 to boot. Not as cheap or clean as gasoline but I think any gasser for a 4-5 pound plane is going to affect the cg and wingloading and limit the planes performance.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by main_gears_bent
Joined Jul 2006
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfoot748 View Post
I found an individual selling a brand new O.S. 81FS-a for 60 bucks less than what tower wants for it and I should have it by the weekend. These are supposed to be very clean for glow motors with no breather and a v. stack to keep the carb from spitting fuel and have the power of the 91 to boot. Not as cheap or clean as gasoline but I think any gasser for a 4-5 pound plane is going to affect the cg and wingloading and limit the planes performance.
If your Saito keeps dying it either needs adjusted or the valves need ran, Saito's just dont die. OS makes and ok engine, but they are heavier and dont put out the power of the Saito (size for size), however, i dont think you could go wrong with the new OS. If you want to sell the .82 pm me. Good luck with the new power, let us know how it performs.
main_gears_bent is offline Find More Posts by main_gears_bent

Quick Reply