logo
Old 08-02-2020, 09:15 PM
Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Dec 2014
338 Posts
That is a freaking cool sport, speed is addictive.
Funny how some of us switch from extreme sports to a more relaxing RC hobby. I was a very active skydiver and BASE jumper until a few years ago. I'll probably return to the dropzone as soon as this pandemic is over but I doubt I'll be jumping from cliffs anymore.
The Slick will look awesome in that scheme.
Ronaldo
ronaldopn is offline Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-04-2020, 09:20 PM
Joined Dec 2014
338 Posts
Finished stabs/ elevators

My grey covering film arrived today so I could finish the stabs/ elevators.
Oracover would take forever to arrive so I ordered chinakote locally.
I'll probably order a new roll of black as the one I had is old and degraded making it very hard to apply correctly.
Ronaldo
Old 08-04-2020, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
I’m not quite sure why you demand so much elevator throw! Beyond a certain point, excess throw just produces drag rather than aerodynamic deflection. Perhaps you could explain your reasoning for the increased throw. Curious.

Large control surfaces were utilized for this very reason .... to create the desired aerodynamic deflection without using excessive throws. Are you wanting to go into the region of high drag for particular maneuvers? Again, curious. I’ve enjoyed following this thread.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 08-04-2020, 10:07 PM
Joined Dec 2014
338 Posts
Yes, in certain maneuvers drag is exactly what I want. For an instance, you could drop almost vertically in an elevator if you had close to 90 degrees. Although 90 is not practical, the more the better.
A Knife Edge spin or crankshaft with 60 deg or more will put the plane in a very tight and fast spin (which looks really cool). A simple tumble or a waterfall is much more impressive too, as it will result in a very tight loop.
Basically if you want drag or much more rotation with little forward movement then you need more throw than the usual 45 degrees.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
[QUOTE=ronaldopn;3008271]Yes, in certain maneuvers drag is exactly what I want. For an instance, you could drop almost vertically in an elevator if you had close to 90 degrees. Although 90 is not practical, the more the better.
A Knife Edge spin or crankshaft with 60 deg or more will put the plane in a very tight and fast spin (which looks really cool). A simple tumble or a waterfall is much more impressive too, as it will result in a very tight loop.
Basically if you want drag or much more rotation with little forward movement then you need more throw than the usual 45 degrees.[/QUOTE

Cool, I see what you’re saying. Thanks
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 08-05-2020, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by sensei
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts
sensei is offline Find More Posts by sensei
Last edited by sensei; 11-04-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:50 PM
Joined Dec 2014
338 Posts
Tail setup

Tail setup finished.
Servo arms fit almost perfectly perpendicular and I managed to get near perfectly equal throws and max servo resolution (around 124%).
The current setup is giving me 60deg and turned out so good that I'll leave it as it is but there's room to increase if I feel the need after some flights.
Fine tuning the elevator's travel was extremely easy as geometry was almost perfect.
Ronaldo
IMG 7376 (0 min 11 sec)

IMG 7377 (0 min 8 sec)
Last edited by ronaldopn; 08-05-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:10 PM
Joined Dec 2014
338 Posts
Slick 580 CG

Hi folks, does anyone know if when balancing the plane according to the manual (and checked with Phoenix supplied CG tool) it flies neutral, slightly nose heavy, very nose heavy, etc?
I assume Phoenix provides a conservative CG position (nose heavy) like most manufacturers but it would be great if I could get a more accurate position.
If I can't get any info I'll balance it 10mm behind the listed CG for the first flights and adjust from there.
Ronaldo
Old 08-10-2020, 12:22 AM
Find More Posts by Laserdude
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Oct 2015
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldopn View Post
Hi folks, does anyone know if when balancing the plane according to the manual (and checked with Phoenix supplied CG tool) it flies neutral, slightly nose heavy, very nose heavy, etc?
I assume Phoenix provides a conservative CG position (nose heavy) like most manufacturers but it would be great if I could get a more accurate position.
If I can't get any info I'll balance it 10mm behind the listed CG for the first flights and adjust from there.
Ronaldo
I cannot give you first hand knowledge on your plane but I have a flying buddy who is a long term rc builder and pilot. He built the 35 cc Extra 260 and balanced it using the supplied tool. It was very tail heavy and he was lucky to get it back on the ground in one piece. I certainly would not go behind their recommendation and if it was my plane I would go forward of their recommendation for the maiden.
Laserdude is offline Find More Posts by Laserdude
Old 08-11-2020, 04:43 PM
Joined Dec 2014
338 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Laserdude, I'll do the old school method, measure the wings and find where is 30-33% of the MAC.
I'm very comfortable flying tail heavy planes and I harrier land 99% of the times so maiden is not really a concern.
The main reason I try to get CG as close as possible on the first shot is that I don't attach Velcro to the batteries or the battery tray, instead I glue balsa stops and one or two straps around the packs (see pictures).
After maiden I have to reposition the stops and straps 2 or 3 times until I reach my preferred CG.
Removing the balsa blocks glued with CA is a tedious process, lately I've been using aluminum L-bars fixed with screws/ nuts. If I have to move the packs I just drill holes in the desired position.
Ronaldo
Last edited by ronaldopn; 08-11-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:36 PM
Joined Dec 2014
338 Posts
Installed the CF LG I ordered from China, fits perfectly. I saved 162g by replacing the aluminum LG.
Ronaldo
Last edited by ronaldopn; 08-14-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:42 PM
Joined Dec 2014
338 Posts
I noticed the wing tube support laterals were too flexible and weak. They were also so poorly glued that I was able to detach both sides from the formers (virtually no glue there).
I added some reinforcement and re-glued all the joints. The whole structure feels much stiffer now.
Ronaldo
Old 08-13-2020, 09:56 PM
Joined Dec 2014
338 Posts
Maiden may happen sooner than I thought since I've just sold my Goldwing Yak-55M 60cc kit and I'm moving the complete 14S setup to the Slick.
Motor is the same (GA6000) but rewound to 164kV. I should be ready to maiden Sunday (maybe Saturday),
My only concern is CG since I had to move packs all the way back against the wing tube to get the CG slightly behind the manual. This means that if the plane is too nose heavy I'll have to do some magic to move weight to the tail.
Unfortunately, this plane does not have an option for a rudder servo on the tail (push pull)
Ronaldo
Last edited by ronaldopn; 08-15-2020 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Added more pictures after completion.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by Laserdude
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Oct 2015
102 Posts
Nice work. Can you please share a link for the cf gear?
Laserdude is offline Find More Posts by Laserdude
Old 08-14-2020, 06:21 AM
Joined Dec 2014
338 Posts
Thanks, put a link in the post.
Ronaldo

Quick Reply