logo
Old 05-31-2014, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by jim52919
United States, IL, South Holland
Joined Oct 2013
38 Posts
Discussion
DLE 111 failure,Help!

I have a dle 111 with Serial # B0354. It was purchased in the fall of 2010. I am pretty sure it is a V1. Can anyone confirm that?
One of the needle bearing cages on the crank throw came apart and ran through the engine. It ruined both pistons, both cylinders, and of course the crank shaft .
Looking on line it looks like the V1 parts are not available. Does anyone know where to get v1 parts?
Also Is the DLE 120 trouble free?
Jim
jim52919 is offline Find More Posts by jim52919
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-31-2014, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by FLYMAN022
Aviatorplus
ohio
Joined Jun 2007
829 Posts
If you look between the prop hub and case close, the v1 has a nut on the crankshaft..The current cylinders and piston are the same.. you can get them at tower or vv..If you want the crankshaft rebuilt pm me I can press it apart and replace the pins and needle bearings..You might be able to dig around and find a crankshaft
FLYMAN022 is offline Find More Posts by FLYMAN022
Old 06-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by Diablo
Hammond, Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYMAN022 View Post
If you look between the prop hub and case close, the v1 has a nut on the crankshaft..The current cylinders and piston are the same.. you can get them at tower or vv..If you want the crankshaft rebuilt pm me I can press it apart and replace the pins and needle bearings..You might be able to dig around and find a crankshaft
Do you have a source for the con rod lower needle bearings? Since the crank hasn't been pressed apart on Jim's engine, the crank may be reusable if new caged needle bearings could be found.
Tower shows the wrist pin bearing as available, but they don't list the needle bearing for the crank throw.
Diablo is offline Find More Posts by Diablo
Old 06-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Aviatorplus
ohio
Joined Jun 2007
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Do you have a source for the con rod lower needle bearings? Since the crank hasn't been pressed apart on Jim's engine, the crank may be reusable if new caged needle bearings could be found.
Tower shows the wrist pin bearing as available, but they don't list the needle bearing for the crank throw.
I have a few sets here, I will check to see if they are still availalbe here locally..If not im sure they can be bought through any bearing manufacture like boca..I will get the bearing specs and check and post here later. Most of the 100 - 120 cc range engines are using 12 mm crankpins with the same id on the rods so the are a real common bearing
Last edited by FLYMAN022; 06-01-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Joined Oct 2013
38 Posts
My engine is definitely a V1. I can see the nut behind the prop hub. According to the tower web site the pistons are the same for all versions of the 111. However the cylinders say they are for V2&V3 for engines manufactured after April 2011 and with S.N. B4100 and above. My S.N. is B0354. So I am not sure the V2V3 jugs would work.
Also Any thoughts as to why the bearing came apart? I am using Stihl HP Ultra oil at 32:1. The engine probably has 25 or 30 gallons of gas through it. It has never been run lean. Any thoughts?:
Jim
Old 06-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Aviatorplus
ohio
Joined Jun 2007
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim52919 View Post
My engine is definitely a V1. I can see the nut behind the prop hub. According to the tower web site the pistons are the same for all versions of the 111. However the cylinders say they are for V2&V3 for engines manufactured after April 2011 and with S.N. B4100 and above. My S.N. is B0354. So I am not sure the V2V3 jugs would work.
Also Any thoughts as to why the bearing came apart? I am using Stihl HP Ultra oil at 32:1. The engine probably has 25 or 30 gallons of gas through it. It has never been run lean. Any thoughts?:
Jim
They are the same trust me...The bearing retainer seems to be the week link on the early 111, I have changed the bearing in quite a few of them the needle were ok but the retainer let loose ,to soft of steel was used and they wasn't hardened
Last edited by FLYMAN022; 06-01-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by shimano
I just wana fly airplanes!
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Apr 2012
1,408 Posts
The bearing you are talking about, is it the connecting rod needle bearing? I had one blow apart too, on a DLE 20 though. I guess it had ruined just about everything inside.. I have a couple new ones, and looking at them it almost looks like plastic retainer housing, looking through the plastic package.
My concern with replacing the needle bearings are using the same quality DLE brand bearing.. Just to have it blow out again?
Anyways, you are not alone I guess is my point.
shimano is offline Find More Posts by shimano
Old 06-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by imacool
Joined Sep 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
One of the needle bearing cages on the crank throw came apart and ran through the engine. It ruined both pistons, both cylinders, and of course the crank shaft .
Did the engine have any symptoms before failure, i.e. more noise, vibrations, more play on the crankshaft?
My DLE 55 had developed a lot of play (looseness when turning the prop by hand back and forth) on the shaft and clicking noise while idling. It turned out to be a big end conrod bearing failing, but luckily I changed the crankshaft assembly before it actually failed and ruined the engine.
I assume it would be more difficult to diagnose a play in big end conrod bearing on two cylinder engine.
Good luck with the repair!
imacool is offline Find More Posts by imacool
Old 06-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by rcflyguy
workin on rollers!!!
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
2,203 Posts
Can't go wrong with Flyman. Great motor guy.
rcflyguy is offline Find More Posts by rcflyguy
Old 06-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Aviatorplus
ohio
Joined Jun 2007
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimano View Post
The bearing you are talking about, is it the connecting rod needle bearing? I had one blow apart too, on a DLE 20 though. I guess it had ruined just about everything inside.. I have a couple new ones, and looking at them it almost looks like plastic retainer housing, looking through the plastic package.
My concern with replacing the needle bearings are using the same quality DLE brand bearing.. Just to have it blow out again?
Anyways, you are not alone I guess is my point.
The bearings are replaced with IKO needle-bearings which in my opinion are some the best you can buy...One of the engine that were done was at are club and was for a good friend. This engine has been tortured with no problems.. I also wanted to add that most of these early 111 had better cylinders than the later ones. They were closed port while later they opened them up.
They will interchange from engine to engine because the porting was the same but instead of windows they just open the entire transfer port up
Old 06-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Aviatorplus
ohio
Joined Jun 2007
829 Posts
Crankshaft rebuild

Heres some pictures of what happens to the bearings
Your good to go Jim Ill get it back to you tomorrow , I also used v2 rods and coupler
Last edited by FLYMAN022; 06-04-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Joined Oct 2013
38 Posts
Thanks Joe,
Your service is fantastic, you really got me out of a bind. I could be flying again this weekend! I have the new pistons and wrist pin bearings from tower and am expecting rings from Frank Boman any day. Have you ever seen the needle bearing on the rear end of the crank go bad? Should I try to replace that bearing as well?
Thanks again
Jim
Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Aviatorplus
ohio
Joined Jun 2007
829 Posts
Your welcome ,Im glad I could help

I have,But there is usually evidence on the cranshaft end...Yours looked good..I have a couple if you need one later on..You should have it saturday

Quote:
Thanks Joe,
Your service is fantastic, you really got me out of a bind. I could be flying again this weekend! I have the new pistons and wrist pin bearings from tower and am expecting rings from Frank Boman any day. Have you ever seen the needle bearing on the rear end of the crank go bad? Should I try to replace that bearing as well?
Thanks again
Jim
Last edited by FLYMAN022; 06-05-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Joined Oct 2013
38 Posts
Joe,
I put 5 flights on my rebuilt DLE111 yesterday and it was back to it's old reliable self. Thanks!
Jim
Old 06-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Aviatorplus
ohio
Joined Jun 2007
829 Posts
Quote:
Joe,
I put 5 flights on my rebuilt DLE111 yesterday and it was back to it's old reliable self. Thanks!
Jim
Your welcome Jim. Those bearings should last you alot longer

Quick Reply