logo
Old 01-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
I even know a pilot that demands that you stand directly behind him and not let him see you or
the call sheet in his peripheral or he come unglued. He also insists for example that you don't call
"half Cuban starting with a 4 of 8 to upright"...You need to say "4 of 8 into a half Cuban" or
he goes off the edge again. You just need to learn the quirks of some pilots and also perhaps try to
avoid calling for the few that give you grief. Callers and pilots both make mistakes and both need
to give a degree of grace to each other.
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-05-2019, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
I am also one of those that does not want to see you in my peripheral. Not sure why it bothers me but it does.
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 01-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheliflyer View Post
I am also one of those that does not want to see you in my peripheral. Not sure why it bothers me but it does.

LOL I can do a pretty fair roller but if my caller tries to "call" me through it, I usually don't fair as well. Maybe we're just old
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 01-05-2019, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post
Aresti is a graphical language..... while there are widely accepted English terms, you can call the maneuvers absolutely anything you want.. including these above... but your caller better call them the exact same thing and you understand that no one else will be able to call for you......
Where's the "like" button when you need one.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 01-05-2019, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by Mooney 78865
Joined Dec 2018
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheliflyer View Post
I'm totally with you on that as well! On the odd day my wife doesn't come to the field for practice, and I have someone else call for me, I find it very distracting to have someone in my peripheral vision. Almost as much as when they want to have a conversation while you are flying!
Mooney 78865 is offline Find More Posts by Mooney 78865
Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 AM
Find More Posts by Wade77
United States, OR, Rogue River
Joined Mar 2016
48 Posts
The guy who is teaching me calls the reverse half Cuban with a 45 degree down line and a half roll in the middle. He does the counting and tells me when to roll and pull level. I’ve had some others call for me and I don’t do very good. Find an experienced caller you can trust if possible.
Wade77 is offline Find More Posts by Wade77
Old 01-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Joined Dec 2018
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade77 View Post
The guy who is teaching me calls the reverse half Cuban with a 45 degree down line and a half roll in the middle. He does the counting and tells me when to roll and pull level. I’ve had some others call for me and I don’t do very good. Find an experienced caller you can trust if possible.
My wife is very good at calling F3A. I'm not one to have my caller, call my positions in the maneuver. Is this done a lot in IMAC? I'm more like the caller would say: "Double stall turn, 3/4 roll up, 1/4 roll down" and at a point towards the end of the maneuver I would say "next" to be prepared for the entry into the following maneuver. Granted, we rarely fly "unknown" sequences. Although we did this year at a couple contests.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:35 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
I have a basic understanding of Aresti symbolism, but my wife doesn't. I'm sure she'll pick it up. I was hoping that there was a written narrative on the maneuvers some where as well.
I can get one for you.

Tell me which class and I will PM them to you.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 01-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by Beavis
Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2006
183 Posts
Always call at least one figure something funny to break the tension. Reverse Ball Sack was always my favorite. Always did better if the funny looking figure was early in the flight. Listened to music during the flight while flying unknowns there towards the end. Sometimes helped, sometimes not.

Never disagree. caller should always be faster at the upcoming figure. Pilot should always be thinking about positioning for 4 figures ahead.

Always fly higher than you think. Both of you should be able to do it from memory. Never make a change on the sheet without both of you agreeing. Direction first then roll or snap element.

We made not a single mistake that I can remember as a team in 12+years. Mistakes were not getting tailslides. Only had 2
Mechanicals in all those years.

Caller and pilot are so important. If I had to use the restroom, I trusted T to hold it for me and to make sure the plane was ready. It’s never one person, never.
Beavis is offline Find More Posts by Beavis
Old 01-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Team JR Propo
Antarctica
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
Always call at least one figure something funny to break the tension. Reverse Ball Sack was always my favorite. Always did better if the funny looking figure was early in the flight. Listened to music during the flight while flying unknowns there towards the end. Sometimes helped, sometimes not.

Never disagree. caller should always be faster at the upcoming figure. Pilot should always be thinking about positioning for 4 figures ahead.

Always fly higher than you think. Both of you should be able to do it from memory. Never make a change on the sheet without both of you agreeing. Direction first then roll or snap element.

We made not a single mistake that I can remember as a team in 12+years. Mistakes were not getting tailslides. Only had 2
Mechanicals in all those years.

Caller and pilot are so important. If I had to use the restroom, I trusted T to hold it for me and to make sure the plane was ready. It’s never one person, never.
+1
Sounds like Chuck Edwards and I . The friendship and trust goes a long way. #teamchuck
Surfer Dude is offline Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Old 01-13-2019, 12:38 AM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
It is true that Chris and I are great friends and I am a great caller! Lol. JK, I do ok. I find that one of the most important things you can have with your pilot is honesty. You need to be able to give critical feedback to the person you are calling for, not all maneuvers are 10’s!
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 01-15-2019, 11:00 AM
Joined Dec 2018
33 Posts
I managed to make it out over the weekend and flew the Giles 202. Only 3 flights and limited IMAC. The last flight a Buddy called the Sportsman sequence. While the maneuvers are not difficult, my understanding of what was being called was. I didn't know what the next maneuver was and we had no "timing" so to speak. I suspect this is what flying the unknown sequence will be like! Is the "unknown" sequence one of the published ALT sequences?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
IMAC NE RD
United States, VA, Gainesville
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
Unknowns are just that. The maneuvers are pulled from many of the ALT sequences, but the combinations are new every week. In addition to practicing the standard Sportsman sequence, it is also good to run through several of the practice sequences you will find on mini-lac.com.
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old 01-15-2019, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,508 Posts
If you don't have a permanent caller and your dependent on a variety of callers, I would advise you
to do the very best you can to memorize the sequence and require only basic prompts from a caller.
Also learn the exact proper name for the Aresti maneuvers in your sequence. I believe this is especially important for those new to IMAC so you don't have to unlearn things later on.
The last thing you need is to break your concentration during a sequence in order to figure out what your caller means from what he or she is saying.
Try hard to make your caller nothing more than observer.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 01-15-2019, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,508 Posts
Something else that kind of relates to the "calling" questions.
If you are new to IMAC, you can create an enormous advantage over your competitors if you can do three things.
1. Get competent help in setting up and trimming you plane. Get it trimmed out down to the inth
degree with the help of someone who really knows what they're doing. It could take you 100
flights to get your plane to the point where you don't have to compensate for faults in the
performance of the plane.
2. Go to judging school and learn what you are being judge for. What you think might look like
a good maneuver may not be that good at all.
3. Memorize the sequence you are flying to the degree where your total concentration is on flying
the plane through the maneuvers.
I have a friend who flies in the Advance Class and does very well at it. The first thing he tells
his caller as they are going to the flight line; don't say a word while I'm flying unless I'm in
immanent danger of a mid air collision.
His total concentration is on flying the plane.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve

Quick Reply