logo
Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Sep 2009
3,319 Posts
Could a jig of some sort be made on the trailing edge of the wing where scale flaps can be used, change out a part and reconnect for aerobatic flaps?
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-01-2018, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Team Hitec, Sales
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2008
2,764 Posts
Oh boy!!!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old 10-01-2018, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Sep 2009
3,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Oh boy!!!
Ya darn right!
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 10-01-2018, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by LRFitch
United States, WA, West Richland
Joined Sep 2011
105 Posts
Timber XL

Ali, I want one! I'd prefer electric version with a nice front hatch to make battery changes simple and easy. I'd prefer one without wing struts to make field assemble a bit easier. Wingspan isn't much of a concern to me, 100" to 110" are both fine.

I've been flying the small version all Summer and love the little bird. This larger one can only be better. Now that you have input from the Nall attendees last week, where do you see this going. Any chance it will be available before Spring of 2019? I'm hoping so!!

Larry
LRFitch is offline Find More Posts by LRFitch
Old 10-01-2018, 04:24 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,534 Posts
Seems like an odd airplane to make considering you already have the X-Cub which is basically the same role/function airplane.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 10-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2015
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
Seems like an odd airplane to make considering you already have the X-Cub which is basically the same role/function airplane.
Not really. Thatís a 60cc bird. These are 30cc class and from the looks more likely to perform aerobatics.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old 10-02-2018, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by twest
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
I vote for the flaps that can double as ailerons. This isn't a scale airframe, so I personally don't see the point of using "scale" like hinging for the flaps.

Obviously, the only thing needed for both gas and electric availability is to have hatch access for the batteries- other than that I have built a hundred "gas only" planes, and the 'electric conversion' consists of bolting on the correct motor to the firewall, and finding a place for the batteries.

I see this plane at this size to fit what I was looking for- a high wing that can do some "low and slow" aerobatics, that is bigger than the legacy 85" bushmaster (6 cell electric) but much smaller than the 120" bushmaster (60cc gas or electric). Sorry to bring up a competitor's design, but their is a bit of a comparison there.

Electric or gas, 30cc is such a sweet spot for airframes. Big enough to fly 'big', small enough to break down to fit in a hatchback, long flight time with gas, not too expensive if electric using 12s cheapo hobbyking cells.
twest is offline Find More Posts by twest
Old 10-02-2018, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by twest
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
X-cub is scale. Timber is not.

X-Cub is 60cc. Timber xl looks like 30cc ish. If you see planes of these two sizes next to each other, you will see the size difference.

X-cub flies like a cub. Timber flies like a highly overpowered sport plane with flaps that excels at low speed flight, STOL flying, and (hopefully) a bit of slow "3D" flying.
twest is offline Find More Posts by twest
Old 10-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by Steve-GS
United States, NY, Westchester County
Joined Feb 2008
26 Posts
PLEASE don't forget to either include or offer floats. That's the only reason I bought mine and it's so much fun to fly on the lake at Joe Nall.
Steve-GS is offline Find More Posts by Steve-GS
Old 10-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by webad2
Joined Oct 2018
1 Posts
HH Timber

As a happy owner of the 30cc Valiant with a DLE35RA in the nose I love the floatiness of that plane and the sportiness of it. Said that to say this......Love the bigger wheels on the Timber. Love the white on the ground.....gunna suck in the air for visibility. I don't agree with the twin comments (for weight) but for sales it should be an option. Not a fan of the struts (too much work) I could fly a cub if I wanted struts. But nice touch if it's an option. Don't try to make it a 100 mile an hour 3D bird. Plenty of options out there for that. Keep it a 5-40 mile an hour stunt capable plane. That's the beauty of the Valiant. But for us guys who don't need a mammoth bird. I would love to see this in a capable (as the 30cc valiant) in a 20cc size. P.S. Absolutely love my new H9 20cc P-47 now I'm waiting for the 20cc Spitfire. Hint Hint.
webad2 is offline Find More Posts by webad2
Old 10-02-2018, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by bjw4072
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2009
44 Posts
Removable tail surface(s) is critical for transportation.
bjw4072 is offline Find More Posts by bjw4072
Old 10-02-2018, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by AKNick
It's Tougher in Alaska
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
228 Posts
Timber XL Feedback

Want some feedback 'eh?? Here we go!

-Double Beveled Hinges. Robart style hinges. Although pocket style hinges are cool, fowler flaps, and drooping ailerons would be a neat alternative.
-Love the LE Slats
-Please utilize a carbon wing tube
-Insert wing attachment hardware on the inside of the fuse that is easy to reach via top hatch removal with a spring loaded latch.
-Float kit is a must
-Solid firewall, no removable style like some models currently offered... Anything to make it lighter than the scale planes actually
- Cantilever wing is nice, although if wing struts are needed, they should be easily removed, think thumb screws, not necessarily nylon. Fast assembly at the field.
-MAKE YOUR OWN BUSHWEELS!!!! please! The there are a few on the market, but they are super expensive. I'm talking 7-8" somewhere in between Kavan and Dubro but they stop around 6", no idea what the tires are currently, but they look different?
-Offer or include a wing/tail bag.
-If the landing gear is aluminum redesign it for a more functional modern style like the Just Aircraft SuperStol which is related to the PC-6 and Storch. Also make it a little taller so the LE slats are more effective and will give more ground/terrain clearance. check out the videos of a mackey SQ2 or SuperStol landing at high alpha and you'll see the need for that style landing gear system.
- Other powerplant options to include a single cyl 35cc or a twin 40cc.
-Feel free to add splates and stall fence options.

The Timber XL looks GOOD, I love the lines, and excited to see this plane move up in scale and thankful to see Horizon Hobby reaching out to the people for input! Especially thankful to see another balsa plane!
Saw the yellow version has a removable tail with dual elevator servos, folks here seem to like that.
Glad to see a Pull Pull for the rudder, is there an option to use a push pull?
No idea what the inside looks like, but I hope the electric version has an decent battery tray placement option, would love to see people take input on how it flies with battery placement testing and design the tray after that, Feels like I need to modify planes battery location for the CG, seems to be more of an after thought these days.

Looks like a winner!!
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Old 10-04-2018, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by RDWilson6612
Joined Oct 2018
1 Posts
Looks Good

I am definitely interested in the electric version! Flaperons?
RDWilson6612 is offline Find More Posts by RDWilson6612
Old 10-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by gmccluskey
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
37 Posts
Make the LE slats and wing struts optional. Also, like the idea of removable stabs, with the servo in the stab halves.
gmccluskey is offline Find More Posts by gmccluskey
Old 10-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by Camper Bob
United States, OR, Lake Oswego
Joined Mar 2018
1 Posts
Wow. I am a relatively new pilot, and have been flying for about two years. Not sure age 75 classifies as a new pilot but here I am. I have the Timber and enjoy flying it daily. I would prefer the electric in yellow. Currently learning to fly my new electric Ultrastick with my instructor. I will be attending the AMA West and wondering if you will bring these along and fly them. Been a Horizon supporter and love my IX 12. Keep up the good work.
Camper Bob is offline Find More Posts by Camper Bob

Quick Reply