logo
Old 08-31-2006, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by Cobra1
Fuel Burner
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Aug 2006
215 Posts
Re: USRA Giant Scale race "THE VIDEO!"

Question: Do these planes have a movable rudder? steerable tail wheel? I ask because for what they do - go fast, turn left - they really don't need either. Thanks. By the way, I will be attending one of these events next year. This is my kind of flying!!
Cobra1 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by Biff
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,223 Posts

Easy fellas! You guys are both right in that racers AND 3D planes have the potential for bad things. Statistically it's the .40 size plane that's the biggest problem. Having attended Rantoul last year, I can say the efforts the racing crowd go to in the name of safety is beyond what any other facet of RC is doing. Log books of every airplane, tethered motors, safety inspections, distance from flight line to spectators, Bill H. running the flight line, the list goes on and on. As far as pilot skill, I felt very safe at the event. I'm very impressed with the efforts that go into safety at races.

Mike and Craig are both well respected and experienced pilots. Let's slow it down boys. It's all about flying safley and respecting other forms of our hobby. It's all good!

Hey Mith, don't go watch,,GO RACE!!!!
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Old 08-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff
........ Hey Mith, don't go watch,,GO RACE!!!!
Are you kidding... My little 40% SX has nearly BK'd me and my reflexes are way too slow!!! That is why I fly the big slow easy flying 3D planes...
Plus... I can't take the stress....... I would have to take some Valium after every flight just to calm down!!!
Leave it for the young guys!!!
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 08-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by Tom_E
United States, AZ, Mayer
Joined Jan 2006
34 Posts

Heck let me jump in here with some comments/answers.
As an unlimited and F1 stick, feel I have some insight

Deadstick/long landings:
The motors in these bad boys won't idle and with a 29 pitch prop on the front a 2500 rpm throttle down won't let you land, so we always shut them off. Secondly we are almost always out of fuel. I carry 80 oz for the 1:20 race and use it all.......
Given we fly at full size airports and have 3000 ft of runway plus, we usually have a whole bunch of adrenalin and are trying to get the airplanes on the ground quickly so the next heat can go don't try to put right in front of us on the landing. Like someone else said we have recovery vehicles so no big deal.

Comments here about the bad takeoffs.
You will notice that all the edge of runway takeoffs were AWAY from the pilot/spectator line and that is because we have a VERY hard safety line that will DNQ us if we cross. Someone else was right in that the torque of these big beasts coupled with any kind of gusty Xwind will most always bite you. I lost my unlimited at the Ohio race and it wasn't because I am a bad pilot; but if you aren't perfect every single time, just like any RC model, they will bite you, and it did!. This was my fourth season and over 100 flights on this airplane so if I was a weak pilot it wouldn't have lasted that long.

Skill level:
RC was right, the USRA has very strict safety rules and I have seen the flight line judges put more than one pilot on the ground for unsafe/unpredictable flying. We have pilots get DNQ'd for just "touching" the deadline - even if your in control. There have been a lot of very good pilots fly erractic from time to time, so you just need to get on the course to see for yourself how challenging this is. On flying ability, again RC is right, pilots will tend to start/move up to the class that they can handle. Skill level is very tough to define/judge - has every flight you had been "perfect"? Given that the flight line bosses do a commedable job in watching for pilots who consistently fly erratic/unsafe and are talked to and grounded if necessary.

Cobra1:
Yes we have rudders and steerable tailwheels; it is required in the rules.

I would invite anyone who wants to experience the thrill of what we do to stop by our tent and any of our team will answer all your questions and show you anything you want to see.
Tom_E is offline Find More Posts by Tom_E
Old 08-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by Tailchaser
Joined Jan 2006
649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcign
Anybody here know Mike Stroup ? I heard he made some comments about my favorite sport, Giant Scale Racing...I would like to read the post to make appropriate comments...
Thanks, Ralph Cunningham, RC Ignition, Giant Scale racing engine inspector and flight line official..
Thanks in advance....

I wouldn't worry too much about Mikes comments, he said a few bad things about the war bird crowd also and got them all riled up. No matter what RC Group you fly with or follow we all should support each other, Heck I LOVE speed, and raced the little guys for fun, but you guys are in a league of your own and are an asset to the RC sport!
And welcome to our little corner of the RC world.

Chuck
Tailchaser is offline Find More Posts by Tailchaser
Old 08-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by Toro
Joined Jan 2006
2,431 Posts

MY 2 cents...

Safety is subjective, yet is objective based on statistics. Anything we do in the RC world next to RC cars has an element of danger. Whether it be hovering 2' in front of you TR'n next to your buddies as they are doing the same thing, or 3D'n a righteous chopper on the deck... It all has an element of danger... The world today has safetyd' itself into a scared little lamb. People these days are litigious, and will sue over a broken finger nail, hence all the safety stuff... The bottom line is be responsible for your own action, own up to your mistakes, and learn from them.

Like I said about being subjective... One guys level is so much different than another guys level, and because the more cautious, careful one is the most conservative, that is usually the route taken. We have become accustomed to following the "dumbed" down way of thinking, and arbitrarily call the unfamiliar unsafe or dangerous. This goes for everything in life. My job is a fireman, you think its unsafe, I think its perfectly safe. I think a police officers job is unsafe and crazy, they think the same about my job. I think if we take the time to really look at all the stats, pre-established policies, and procedures, and records we will see that most all of "OUR" activities are relatively safe. If you want to be totally safe, dont leave your house... Although, statistics say your more likely to die in your home from an accident, than get killed traumatically outside your house.

"safety never sleeps until I go to bed"

T
Toro is offline Find More Posts by Toro
Old 08-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by Sparky69
WWW.USRAINFO.ORG
Unionville, IN
Joined Aug 2006
88 Posts

I love the comments about ESPN!
While it is expensive it is still is the best bang for the buck out there. Great people that do care about you and the sport. There is always an exciting race that comes along. Last year at Parker in one of the F1 heat races we had 3 planes break the existing world record. You could have thrown a blanket over all three planes. Can you imagine walking off the flight line and someone says to you congratulations you broke the world record uh... you got third place.
Sparky
Sparky69 is offline Find More Posts by Sparky69
Old 08-31-2006, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by Cole Thornton
Joined Aug 2006
11 Posts

man ur lucky i edited this
Cole Thornton is offline Find More Posts by Cole Thornton
Last edited by Cole Thornton; 08-31-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by TeamJR98
Peter Goldsmith Horizon Hobby
CMI IL
Joined Sep 2006
15 Posts

Guys, you need to come racing, it's all true. it's the most fun I have had in RC for many years.
I have been involved with these guys for 3 years now and they are like family to me.
Just a note on skills, I have flown in all the races since 2003, and never one a overall weekend in any of the classes I have flown in. There are a lot of pilots in this group that are much more experienced than I am, especially when it comes to landing and taking off. I was the guy in the video that rolled for 200yards, and probably did the left hand turn on take of <Grin>
But don't be alarmed, the GT class is still one of my favourites, it easy, inexpensive, stock motors, props, and fuel, it's all about the pilot. They are easy to take off and land, not unlike a IMAC type model, perhaps a little faster. Cost for a GT plane are in the range from $800 (Glass and Foam) to $2000 for moulded. Add Engine (Zenoah 80) and radio and your racing. You don't need to practice, just turn up, chew some gum, and go racing. Every person I have introduced to this form of RC sports has stayed doing it, that must say something about these great group of guys.

I hope all that have read these posts are interested enough to attend a race, I know if you have an open mind with no expectations, you will be extreemly joyful of the experience,

PS sorry about the bad spelling, just woke up. 'hey Biff, where is the spell checker in this thing?"

Peace out

pete
TeamJR98 is offline Find More Posts by TeamJR98
Old 09-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by Larry Lewis
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2006
2,887 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think I might just try this stuff!!!!!!!!!! Think I'll like it Pete? lol

By the way,,,,,,,,,Does Peace Out mean the same thing down under?
Larry Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Larry Lewis
Old 09-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by Sparky69
WWW.USRAINFO.ORG
Unionville, IN
Joined Aug 2006
88 Posts

Larry,
You have an airplane and as I have called you from the last two venues wondering were you are I think you are just too skeerred to come out and race with us any more! Your plane is now faster than Roberts.
I got to land Friday morning at RDU in the Tropical storm. Talk about a challanging landing, I'd rather be racing. I left my cell phone at home otherwise I would have called when I was out in your neck of the woods. So why does Iced Tea ALWAYS come with sugar in it?
Sparky
Sparky69 is offline Find More Posts by Sparky69
Old 09-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by Larry Lewis
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2006
2,887 Posts

Dude,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ever hear of a PHONE BOOK???????????? lol

Ice Tea answer,,,,,,,,we love Hum'm bird food down here! lol
Larry Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Larry Lewis
Old 09-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by RobertV
increasing thrust........
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2006
7,139 Posts

how does that song go? ...."and on the eighth day, God made sweet tea"....
RobertV is offline Find More Posts by RobertV
Old 10-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts

I got a special invite in the mail last week!!!

Bummer... it is the same week as TAS

When/Where is the one after Parker????? Next year???
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 10-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by KennyMac
Diving for the Start!
Chino, CA
Joined Oct 2006
61 Posts

The next scheduled race after Parker will be Rantoul IL in June....

Why not stop by Parker on your way to TAS? We tech on Thurs and race on Friday,Sat,Sun. It's about 2 hours from Parker to Phoenix...

KennyMac
KennyMac is offline Find More Posts by KennyMac

Quick Reply