logo
Old 06-14-2019, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
1,960 Posts
Cool
3W 150 rpm, what, a timing light!

Anyone happen to now how the rpm is wired? I want to hook it up for telemetry but don't know which set of wires or how it is wired.
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Last edited by acerc; 06-26-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-14-2019, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
Anyone happen to now how the rpm is wired? I want to hook it up for telemetry but don't know which set of wires or how it is wired.

https://www.aircraftinternational.co...to_150_eng.pdf
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Last edited by epoweredrc; 06-14-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,960 Posts
Yep, I have it. All rpm meters have a three wire this is only two. Are they ground and signal, positive and signal, a positive and negative break type. If I plug it in and it is wrong in a bad way can it fry the ignition or just shut it down.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,288 Posts
You using a IIS ignition, or an aftermarket one?

If using the IIS ignition, I dont think you can hook it up to telemetry. 3W has their own onboard tach that plugs into the ignition. But offers no telemetry.

Aftermarket would be just to plug into the RPM port with your telemetry module, I think.

Only telemetry I use is Rx battery. And then on my jet, I have an actual air speed sensor. Im just cuirous to see how fast my fet is.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 06-15-2019, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,960 Posts
It is the stock ignition, and it won't work. I tried every variation of the two wires into the tele. So I am going to change it out with an RCEXCEL. A friend recommended it when I bought this engine and I had not got to it yet as the stock system runs so very well I was to busy having fun with it. But being as it has been raining the last several days I figured I'd fool with installing the recorder. I like to track the battery power going through the Rx, the rpm's, and temps on all my engines. No better way to take the guessing out of what is going on in the air. On a few models I also have airspeed and altitude.
Really cool to sit down after a flight and see what everything was doing. I use the elogger from Eagle Tree, I could use Futaba's sensors but I don't want to be tempted to look at the radio while flying.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,960 Posts
Timing made easy.

Well, as a few of you know I found out the new RCEXCEL ignitions have to be turned faster to be activated. This makes the previous method of timing impossible to do so I started down the rabbit hole to make a timing light. Well, I did make one and it worked really well although I do not know exactly how. My jumbled up wiring with a battery and an led was not very pleasant but I recently come to know someone capable of taking what I discovered and doing something more with it. So if I may I would like to introduce the prototype timing light, a HighPoint production. All one does is install two AAA batteries and hook it up to the Hall sensor, of course the plugs have to be removed for easy rotation and the timing marks made on the prop hub and engine case as usual. I use a drill on the prop shaft to spin the engine and watch the timing marks, the flashing will highlight the marks just like timing an automotive engine.
A special thanks to Scott.
Last edited by acerc; 06-26-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,091 Posts
This look Promising, Great little idea. Do we a video of this in action?
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 06-26-2019, 09:20 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
This look Promising, Great little idea. Do we a video of this in action?
It is in the works, maybe the end of next week. I have already timed two engine's using this method, the 3W 150 and a GP 123. It was wickedly cool!!!! The 3w needed an adjustment, it was at 31°, so I loosened the Hall screws put the light in to action and slowly slid the Hall until the marks lined up.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,560 Posts
Or you could just buy the Rcexl timing tester. A very neat little toner device that sells for $10 or less. They also sell a timing kit. I give you high marks for ingenuity! Some time back I made a plug wire adapter so I could use an automotive timing light. It just confirmed what the tester had already told me. But I felt rewarded that it worked.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-26-2019, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,107 Posts
Quote:
Well, as a few of you know I found out the new RCEXCEL ignitions have to be turned faster to be activated. This makes the previous method of timing impossible to do so I started down the rabbit hole to make a timing light. Well, I did make one and it worked really well although I do not know exactly how. My jumbled up wiring with a battery and an led was not very pleasant but I recently come to know someone capable of taking what I discovered and doing something more with it. So if I may I would like to introduce the prototype timing light, a HighPoint production. All one does is install two AAA batteries and hook it up to the Hall sensor, of course the plugs have to be removed for easy rotation and the timing marks made on the prop hub and engine case as usual. I use a drill on the prop shaft to spin the engine and watch the timing marks, the flashing will highlight the marks just like timing an automotive engine.
A special thanks to Scott.
When will it be available for purchase Robert?

Bill
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 06-26-2019, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Or you could just buy the Rcexl timing tester. A very neat little toner device that sells for $10 or less. They also sell a timing kit. I give you high marks for ingenuity! Some time back I made a plug wire adapter so I could use an automotive timing light. It just confirmed what the tester had already told me. But I felt rewarded that it worked.
All I saw was an ignition tester which fires the plugs and the sensor tester simply says the Hall is working, Neither will time the engine as far as I know and I have both.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:35 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill View Post
When will it be available for purchase Robert?

Bill
I have no idea when, or even if, it will become available, that is up to HighPoint.
Also not positive about the video, was assuming it might be next week could be later.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:40 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,560 Posts
Quote:
All I saw was an ignition tester which fires the plugs and the sensor tester simply says the Hall is working, Neither will time the engine as far as I know and I have both.
The sensor tester used in combination with a degree wheel works very well for setting the timing. They use to package the two together with instructions. The ignition fire point is when the sensor turns off after the magnet passes under the sensor when the engine is turned in the normal direction. I haven’t used the ignition module to set timing for years.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-27-2019, 06:06 AM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,960 Posts
All I know is the new RCEXCEL ignition would not fire turned slowly. Milton at RC eXtreme Power said this was done intentionally for safety reasons. So I set out to find another way to do it. This is my solution and it works extremely well.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,960 Posts
If there is any interest in this device send him an inquiring email. [email protected]

Quick Reply