logo
Old 06-22-2019, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Our society is collapsing
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,711 Posts
Wishing you the absolute best of luck with this endeavor!
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-23-2019, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by Brandon97
United States, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Apr 2018
3 Posts
Please oh please bring the ultimate in all of its sizes back!
Brandon97 is offline Find More Posts by Brandon97
Old 06-23-2019, 01:58 PM
Find More Posts by columbo
IMAC
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Jan 2006
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye Steve View Post
Hi Mark, Good luck on your start up. I think you have the right idea in asking for suggestions and acquiring a variety of feed back.
Here's my suggestion: I've competed in IMAC for about 12 yrs with a variety of both ARF's and
professionally built Daltons and one Carden. I've also judged at the Nat's and the Worlds.
I'm going to say that there are a good number of potential IMAC competitors who are cost conscious and would like to compete with smaller planes that fall within the 30 to 35% class.
There are some very good planes available from several vendors however, the ones I've had the privilege of owning and competing with have been "compromise designs". These planes are designed to please both the 3D enthusiast and the precision aerobatic competitors.
For the average competitor, these planes, as nice as they are, will not compete with professionally built precision aerobatic planes.
I think they could be designed to be more competitive if the design included a way to select an optional set of components when the plane is purchased.
Example; If your into precision aerobatics and have no interest in 3D, you would select the plane with perhaps a set of wings and stabs designed for that discipline.
This approach may add to the cost, but it would still be far less than the cost of a professionally built Carden, Dalton or others planes in that class.
If the components were interchangeable, that would be even better.
Just a thought.
Agree, there are VERY few (maybe 1 or 2) ARFs that are purpose built and optimized for precision! Like you mentioned most aerobatic planes try to be the jack of all trade (3D and precision) but lean more heavily toward the 3D side. Bottom line is there are lots of 3D ARFs on the market, but very few that are optimized for precision.
columbo is offline Find More Posts by columbo
Old 06-23-2019, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by Show871
Joined Oct 2007
1,776 Posts
Hey Mark that's awesome......good luck with things. I always liked how stout the AW finish was, man if you could do that and shave a few pounds with all the new build tech your going to really have something great.
Show871 is offline Find More Posts by Show871
Old 06-23-2019, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbo View Post
Agree, there are VERY few (maybe 1 or 2) ARFs that are purpose built and optimized for precision! Like you mentioned most aerobatic planes try to be the jack of all trade (3D and precision) but lean more heavily toward the 3D side. Bottom line is there are lots of 3D ARFs on the market, but very few that are optimized for precision.
You guys mean an aileron spanning the full wing is not for precision? LOL!!! I totally agree with this subject. I am not a 3D'er nor a competition pilot but I have never liked the full aileron and how much the linkage and radio have to be scaled back to get better "small movement" control.
On my 105" AJ Laser (of which I thoroughly love) I even gave a lot of consideration at splitting the ailerons and make the inboard stationary.
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Last edited by acerc; 06-23-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by columbo
IMAC
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Jan 2006
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
You guys mean an aileron spanning the full wing is not for precision? LOL!!! I totally agree with this subject. I am not a 3D'er nor a competition pilot but I have never liked the full aileron and how much the linkage and radio have to be scaled back to get better "small movement" control.
On my 105" AJ Laser (of which I thoroughly love) I even gave a lot of consideration at splitting the ailerons and make the inboard stationary.
I have the AJ 105 Laser, and though it is one of the better flying planes for precision, it is still not optimized or purpose built for precision flying. It was designed with 3D in mind as well. I get it, there is a much bigger market for 3D compared to precision. AJ Laser does a pretty good job though. The guy who finished #1 in the world competition intermediate IMAC class last year was flying a 40% AJ Laser.
columbo is offline Find More Posts by columbo
Old 06-23-2019, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by cherrybomb48
Geaux Lower!
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Oct 2010
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show871 View Post
Hey Mark that's awesome......good luck with things. I always liked how stout the AW finish was, man if you could do that and shave a few pounds with all the new build tech your going to really have something great.
This right here ——^^^
cherrybomb48 is offline Find More Posts by cherrybomb48
Old 06-23-2019, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
That CG tool that came with AeroWorks planes was a nice touch.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 06-23-2019, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Nobody has more fun than me!
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
3,140 Posts
Mark I wish you the very best of luck. I know you will deliver on your end.

How about a Draco STOL for turbine power. I don’t know if anyone would buy one but you’d be the only one making it! Maybe a gas powered firewall as well.

Looking forward to seeing you and flying together soon.
AeroSheldon is offline Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Old 06-24-2019, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Joined Jan 2018
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dennis View Post
The solid color thing has been done by a lot of companies over the years, all of them have the same results; the planes dont sell. The cost for a solid color would be the same as the normal ARF scheme, and when faced with the choice, customers would rather just throw on a custom decal package to personalize the plane.

I do plan to offer ARC’s BUT they will be special order only with a 50% non-refundable deposit, it’s too much of a risk to take up space on a container for an airplane that may sit on the shelves for a year
Awesome the ARC is a great alternative......I am tired of the same color schemes on every plane I see.....maybe the ARC can be offered without hardware too .
Justwantafly is offline Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Old 06-24-2019, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,508 Posts
I had a foam core/sheeted wing built for my 105" AJ Laser. It was awesome. Can't imagine why only one vendor has offered this option. The list of advantages provided by split ailerons is long
and meaningful. It also offers significant advantages for fine tuning the plane for both 3D and precision aerobatics. Give this one some serious thought.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 06-24-2019, 03:02 PM
Find More Posts by Obby1
Joined Dec 2011
402 Posts
Like the split aileron, even if you do not split them install 2 hinges close together and say cut here for split ailerons. And add a spot under the covering for the horns. Sure we can handle that.
Obby1 is offline Find More Posts by Obby1
Old 06-24-2019, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by Vtach688
Vtach688
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Jun 2019
7 Posts
great news can't wait.
Vtach688 is offline Find More Posts by Vtach688
Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obby1 View Post
Like the split aileron, even if you do not split them install 2 hinges close together and say cut here for split ailerons. And add a spot under the covering for the horns. Sure we can handle that.
+1
I don’t see any downside to this.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 06-25-2019, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by muzamilabbasi
United States, NJ, Wayne
Joined Dec 2017
30 Posts
Good luck looking forward
muzamilabbasi is offline Find More Posts by muzamilabbasi