logo
Old 02-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by POWERPLAY
CA
Joined Jun 2006
101 Posts
This is your captain speaking

This is your captain speaking.

The weather is overcast and windy, and we will be landing at 45 degrees. Enjoy the view of the runway. Please change your underwear at your earliest convince. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8WhBIz60Ko&eurl
POWERPLAY is offline Find More Posts by POWERPLAY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Chile, Antofagasta, Antofagasta Province
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts
Re: This is your captain speaking

Mmmmm,

The sale of clean underwear skyrocketed when that plane unloaded thats for sure.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by tailwheelteacher
United States, MS, Sumrall
Joined Dec 2006
165 Posts

wow......i heard the airbus is a handful in a crosswind, check out his flap position or lack thereof i guess the flight computer on these things dont really like to kick the rudder at the end!!!
tailwheelteacher is offline Find More Posts by tailwheelteacher
Old 02-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Chile, Antofagasta, Antofagasta Province
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts

I never gave that a thought. The computers in those things limit a lot of pilot input I understand. Never gave it much thought on cross controlling it in a good cross wind.

Now if that was in my old cub it would be a no brainer. That runway is plenty wide enough.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old 02-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by vsnap
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jun 2006
2,224 Posts

Alot of larger airliners have gear that swivel for crosswind landings. This way they don't have to kick it at the last minute as that can put alot of stress on the gear legs if still in the twisting moment upon touchdown. You can't do much of a wing low approach to touchdown with engines hangin on both sides either.
When you taxi behind them if they have not been able to bring them back it will sorta remind you of an old Nova with a sprung body driving down the road.
vsnap is offline Find More Posts by vsnap
Old 02-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by POWERPLAY
CA
Joined Jun 2006
101 Posts

I did not know that the gear could swivel on airliners, that's very cool. I've noticed that they come in with the wings level. It would seem that the pilots instinct would be to drop the wing. I'm sure that they have to be trained not to do it especially if they have any time in a high wing plane.

This illustrates why you don't drop a wing with an airliner. Most of you have probably seen this. I can't imagine landing anything in this kind of wind. Even Captain Sully might have puckered up in these conditions.

Plane landing on heavy wind, almost crashes (1 min 6 sec)
POWERPLAY is offline Find More Posts by POWERPLAY
Old 02-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Find More Posts by jmoesdad
Chicks dig the beard
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2007
634 Posts

other then the b52 the only airliner that has castering main wheels is the early boeing 737, thats because it could land in a crab in an auto land because it only had a 2 axis autopilot. the b52 gear can be dialed in to stay parallel with the runway while the fuselage is pointed into the wind.
the airbus really does hand fly like any other airliner, it does transition from one computer law to another but that landing was just beyond pilot/ aircraft abilities. they probably should have gone around. just my .02
jmoesdad is offline Find More Posts by jmoesdad
Old 02-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by citrus
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined May 2006
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsnap View Post
Alot of larger airliners have gear that swivel for crosswind landings. This way they don't have to kick it at the last minute as that can put alot of stress on the gear legs if still in the twisting moment upon touchdown. You can't do much of a wing low approach to touchdown with engines hangin on both sides either.
When you taxi behind them if they have not been able to bring them back it will sorta remind you of an old Nova with a sprung body driving down the road.
737's are the only airplane I have ever seen that taxi sometimes with a bit of a "crab", they seem to have some "swivel" to them. Someone told me once what the deal was but I forget why they do it. No airliners have pilot controlled swiveling landing gear. All but the largest airliners still to the drop the wing and straighten it out method (slip). I am very surprised that guy didn't straighten her out some.
citrus is offline Find More Posts by citrus
Old 02-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by citrus
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined May 2006
646 Posts

Well that answers that..
citrus is offline Find More Posts by citrus
Old 02-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoesdad View Post
other then the b52 the only airliner that has castering main wheels is the early boeing 737, thats because it could land in a crab in an auto land because it only had a 2 axis autopilot. the b52 gear can be dialed in to stay parallel with the runway while the fuselage is pointed into the wind.
the airbus really does hand fly like any other airliner, it does transition from one computer law to another but that landing was just beyond pilot/ aircraft abilities. they probably should have gone around. just my .02
Agreed.
Dan767 is online now Find More Posts by Dan767
Old 02-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Feb 2006
729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsnap View Post
What? Where, exactly did you get that info? As an airline pilot, to not align directionally before touchdown is extremely poor form unless winds don't allow a full decrab. With that much wind you have to wonder about whether you should be landing. That video shows a complete lack of decision making unless the crew was in a low-fuel no divert condition (which isn't impossible, I guess)

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old 02-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Feb 2006
729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I never gave that a thought. The computers in those things limit a lot of pilot input I understand. Never gave it much thought on cross controlling it in a good cross wind.

Now if that was in my old cub it would be a no brainer. That runway is plenty wide enough.
I'm currently flying the Airbus 319/320, and the flight control laws don't limit bank angle until it reaches 67 degrees in normal law at normal speeds, and never limits yaw in the low speed regime. That isn't a player. The big issue is decision making in what were obviously severe crosswind conditions. I can't comment on that specifically, as I wasn't sitting there, don't know the fuel state, etc... that caused the crew to continue that approach in those conditions.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Last edited by sukhoi26mx; 02-13-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by pitviper51
Burn Gas.. Bend wings.
Kentucky
Joined Apr 2006
9,354 Posts

oh i remeber coming in slip all the time flyign sailplanes.. we would be in ever more cross angled then the videos here.. and would hold the slip until we cross 3 meter high fence at the end of the taxiway we landed on. neat about the swivel gear.. shopping cart with wings! tho sometimes i wonder why they down try to make another aprouch..
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old 02-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by jmoesdad
Chicks dig the beard
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2007
634 Posts

hey scott...did i get that 737 stuff right? its been a while since ive flown the guppy.
jmoesdad is offline Find More Posts by jmoesdad
Old 02-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Find More Posts by vsnap
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jun 2006
2,224 Posts

Seems I saw more then 73's, But now you say that you are right. I really stopped looking at types after a while. Airliners really never peeked my interest so I really only pay attention to what I am flying . And yes they are suppose to straighten out upon roll out if I remember correctly, and they do look like a sprung nova. Guess I will sit back and just listen on this one.
vsnap is offline Find More Posts by vsnap

Quick Reply