logo
Old 01-14-2018, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by tchanter
United States, NC, Stanley
Joined Jan 2008
325 Posts
No - Scheduled for Tuesday - There was a video of a guy flying the plane with a 5000 mah HK Graphene and it didn't look nose heavy - That sucker weighs 980 grams!
Jason wasn't kidding about needing nose weight.
tchanter is offline Find More Posts by tchanter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-14-2018, 05:00 PM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchanter View Post
No - Scheduled for Tuesday - There was a video of a guy flying the plane with a 5000 mah HK Graphene and it didn't look nose heavy - That sucker weighs 980 grams!
Jason wasn't kidding about needing nose weight.
Oh, alright cool and yes, but that was a 3 cell (455grams) over a 4s. Glad to see some videos showing up now. I will be doing hopefully the maiden flight
According to the HK site the turnigy graphene 5000 mah 4s 65c is 612grams
If the CG is bad off with my 3000 4s i think i will add a extra 3s 800mah for RX pack with separate BEC just to correct the weight. until i can get a bigger battery really hoping the 3000 is good enough tho like to keep as light as possible
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Last edited by epoweredrc; 01-14-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Joined Jan 2008
325 Posts
You are right - it was a 3s - forgot - which would explain why it wasn't nose heavy. Battery should be here Wed - So I'll have an idea of where the CG is with a 5000 mah 4s Gens Ace 45C in it and amperage / watts then - but no flying till Friday or Saturday when it gets above 50 here in Charlotte, NC.

You may want to consider this instead of a BEC.

https://www.scorpionsystem.com/catal..._Backup_Guard/
Old 01-14-2018, 08:05 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
723 Posts
Quote:
You are right - it was a 3s - forgot - which would explain why it wasn't nose heavy. Battery should be here Wed - So I'll have an idea of where the CG is with a 5000 mah 4s Gens Ace 45C in it and amperage / watts then - but no flying till Friday or Saturday when it gets above 50 here in Charlotte, NC.

You may want to consider this instead of a BEC.

https://www.scorpionsystem.com/catal..._Backup_Guard/
Understand that its cold here also. Friday and Saturday is suppose to be back in the 50s here. sure hope it is. i plan to fly , hopefully with the Extra
My buddy runs the backup guard on his helicopter. I'm not really a fan. a External BEC is fine with me i use one on my 48" edge.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by 3ddave
United States, MN, Eagan
Joined Jun 2008
170 Posts
On the Hobby King site (US) it looks like shipping is free on the 330LX by USPS. Am I reading that right?
Thanks
3ddave is offline Find More Posts by 3ddave
Old 01-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Joined Jan 2008
325 Posts
Mine was shipped free - got it yesterday
Old 01-18-2018, 11:19 AM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ddave View Post
On the Hobby King site (US) it looks like shipping is free on the 330LX by USPS. Am I reading that right?
Thanks
Yes it is USPS and mine was free shipping also.. i also only had to pay $310.62 for mine.. it was advertised as $120 not sure why maybe i had enough reward points to get cheaper.
Quote:
Mine was shipped free - got it yesterday
Glad you got it, my tracking hasn't updated in 3 days. supposed to be here tomorrow but we just had that bad weather so not sure it going slow down i sure hope not suppose be nice Saturday
Old 01-18-2018, 01:34 PM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,160 Posts
Any unboxing pics???

Tony
vatechguy3 is offline Find More Posts by vatechguy3
Old 01-18-2018, 02:20 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatechguy3 View Post
Any unboxing pics???

Tony
I will once i get mine.. hope tomorrow..
Old 01-18-2018, 05:29 PM
Joined Jan 2008
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatechguy3 View Post
Any unboxing pics???

Tony
Jason's photos at the beginning are what you get - double boxed with a custom Styrofoam cradle - no damage at all - Them folks are getting pretty good at boxing these critters.

There are as number of things that should be done better - I'll list those after I maiden the puppy on Saturday - mid 50s here in Charlotte
Old 01-18-2018, 08:26 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
723 Posts
Quote:
Jason's photos at the beginning are what you get - double boxed with a custom Styrofoam cradle - no damage at all - Them folks are getting pretty good at boxing these critters.

There are as number of things that should be done better - I'll list those after I maiden the puppy on Saturday - mid 50s here in Charlotte
I know you posted on RCG about the CG.
How does your Elevator rod seem? one guy over there on the other thread was trying to blame his for a crash but just looking at it online it looks heavy enough

don't want to call anyone else but i feel he crashed and just want to blame theplane
Old 01-22-2018, 09:06 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
723 Posts
Well I finally got mine this morning had to go mail a pakage and it was at the post office only took 11 days for me to get it. Anyhow got put together and I had a driffrent issue from everyone else. My pull pull wires were way way to long I was trying to turn them in to shorten them. The back and front both I think would need to be screwed all way In no threads showing to be short enough well one side I did fine. While I was screwing in the other side the wire broke.. then the ball and link snapped right off. Well I dug around and found a old metal Clevis and threaded rod with a hole perfect for the pull pull. Along with piece of small tubing to crimp the wire back together.. this is a temp fix and I'm trying to decide what to do about it. I really hate pull pull but no way a Servo could go in rear as I don't wanna have to fly 5000mah packs. My 3000mah 4s along with the bec and 800mah 3s flew it fine. Didn't get 2nd flight on video but have first take off then I landed to move battery foward a hair. It was better and try. I think I'm going to enjoy this plane it was cold and windy and raining but got in 2) 4.30 flights. Batter at 3.77 per volt good with me. I could maybe go 5 mins if I wanted to but I never discharge my battery's past 3.77 the 800mah rx pack is at 4.13 per volt I'm sure I could get 5-7 flights before it needs charging. I'm relative happy with this plane so far.
My cowl was glued on also, it took some messing with to get it off, I took it off took few pictures in case anyone wondered what the motor mount looked like from the front. I am still wondering why they didn't use a Wood firewall. but long as it holds i don't care.
I decided to velcro my ESC in place so it wouldn't just be flopping around inside.
And yes I left the SFGs off for first flights wanted to see how flew with them, i never liked the ones on my Mini showtime for my 48" EF Edge 540.

Avios Extra 330lx Maiden flight. 1-22-18 (3 min 42 sec)
Old 01-23-2018, 10:53 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
723 Posts
Well.. I think i'm the most unlucky person in the world. While working on my rudder. The horn snapped off right at the hole. ( so be careful taking the ball link on and off and i wouldn't try to adjust anything with it connected to the horn must be super fragile plastic they used for the control horn. )

I am going to try gluing a thing piece of Clear Plastic ( like things come in from the store) to the bottom to see if that stiffen it up. the piece was a clean break so i glued it back on just want a little extra something to be there.

So far I have had the Stop in the right wing , I guess break, cause the wing tube will go almost all the way into that one wing. the other wing it stops as it should. so i have to make sure i put the tue in the right wing first then other wing on or i wont get it centered.

The Pull pull cable snapped with me, then the ball link broke.
The rudder control horn broke on one half. ( i guess when parts are available i could just order the whole new rudder and replace) but shouldn't be so fragile it was in the house its not like i was outside working on it.

The servo screws holding the aileron servos in don't seem to tighten i used just a bit of my small screw driver to not over tighten and they keep turning I'm not sure they are screwing into foam or plastic.

The springs for the tail wheel were WAY to short/tight. I stretched them after taken them off and my rudder moved so much better. not sure I am going to put them back on or just let the tail wheel free wheel.

Others had other issues.My spinner seems to run pretty darn straight. i didn't feel any vibrations.

I would recommend everyone checking your motor screws, and everything else just incase. a couple mine felt a tiny bit loose.

Maybe tomorrow i can check the watts and amps of my motor i just wanted to fly the other day.

Overall I give it a 8 out of 10.. Its not a bad plane. I wish i didn't have to work on it before i could even fly it but i hope the way i fixed the pull pull today works for many many flights on it.

Just checked the Amps/watts I was getting 761.9 watts at 56.44 amps with my Turnigy 30C 4s 3000 battery, as i said before battery and C ranting will differ from each person a little. mine didn't feel to have the punch out from a hover as some videos i have seen.
Last edited by epoweredrc; 01-24-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:13 PM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
723 Posts
I got to fly 2 more flights today, It was Extrmely WINDY! like 13 with gusts to 23 or more... I do have more rudder now after removing the pull pull and adding push rods, and removed the springs for tail wheel now the servo isn't as stressed. I wish we would get some nicer days but i think im not going to get any for a while. not the best video got to field and found out my holder for my hat cam was broke so got my woman to video i guess with being so cold and windy she couldn't keep still lil jerky it still needs more elevator and i do think a higher c battery would have a lil more power it doesn't jump out of a hover like i like my planes to.
4:30 minute flights and both battery's were at 3.79
Avios Extra 330lx in the wind 1-29-18 (4 min 58 sec)
Old 01-30-2018, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,160 Posts
How would a 5s 3600 or 3000 work?

Tony
vatechguy3 is offline Find More Posts by vatechguy3

Quick Reply