logo
Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by zoomer260
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts
260 Stick Kits

Anyone make a stick kit 260 that would not cost more than a comparable ARF to complete ?

At this point I'm open from 25% to 35%. I just want to glue some sticks together again. But if I have to pony up over $500 for a kit in the 33% range I'd just go buy an ARF.

The most popular kit makers just want more than I am willing to go for a kit.

Good plans with glass parts available would maybe fit my bill.

One of the kit cutters was coming out with a new 260 not that long ago but I can't find it anymore.

Thanks in advance.
zoomer260 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer260
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Re: 260 Stick Kits

I am looking for the same thing. I don't think it exists. I would like a 35% kit extra or edge. Cheapest I can find is Dalton for $799. Like you said I might as well get an ARF.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 04-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by smokin
clinton, ia. usa
Joined Oct 2007
5,198 Posts

spend the little extra, build it yourself to your own specifications and give it a one of a kind scheme!!!! these higher priced kits end up being worth it to EVERYONE that buys them. treat yourself, give one a shot. the longevity of one that you build yourself (and build right) is significantly better than that of a chinese arf in most cases. the reason that the kits are as much or more than some arfs is simple... great designs and great fit and finish. not to mention.... MADE IN THE USA!!!

one of the unfortunate parts of kit production is that the 30 and 35% planes cost very close to what the bigger 40% plus size cost to produce. that is just one of the catch 22's of the kit world. again, just try one... you won't regret it!
smokin is offline Find More Posts by smokin
Last edited by smokin; 04-08-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Find More Posts by DAGONZ
Japan, Kanagawa Prefecture, Ayase
Joined Mar 2008
79 Posts

I have been looking at Wendell Hostetler plans and Belair Kits. 33% Extra 300 plans $50, partial kit $300. Partial kit is just lazer cut parts, sheeting and stick you have to supply. They have 540's Extra 300 and Giles 202.

Sure Hostetler plans may be dated but you can modernize as you build, just need the plans for a starting point/outline reference. Plenty of good builds on FG to get ideas from as far as the modernization especially Sensei's diet planes. If you already have the saws and such wouldn't need the partial kit. Just figure the cost of hand selectiong your own ply/sticks/sheets. Heck even hot wire your own cores. I think you could wind up way below big name kit suppliers.

what do you think?
DAGONZ is offline Find More Posts by DAGONZ
Old 04-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Find More Posts by smokin
clinton, ia. usa
Joined Oct 2007
5,198 Posts

price it all up and you'd be surprised what you come up with... it'll be more than you think i bet!

there is gear, all fiberglass pieces, lexan for the canopy, phenolics, wing/stab tubes, etc... all of the "other" parts of a kit that you don't think of right off the bat. and good laser cut pieces make a better airplane due to a better fit than hand cut pieces.
smokin is offline Find More Posts by smokin
Last edited by smokin; 04-09-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGONZ View Post
I have been looking at Wendell Hostetler plans and Belair Kits. 33% Extra 300 plans $50, partial kit $300. Partial kit is just lazer cut parts, sheeting and stick you have to supply. They have 540's Extra 300 and Giles 202.

Sure Hostetler plans may be dated but you can modernize as you build, just need the plans for a starting point/outline reference. Plenty of good builds on FG to get ideas from as far as the modernization especially Sensei's diet planes. If you already have the saws and such wouldn't need the partial kit. Just figure the cost of hand selectiong your own ply/sticks/sheets. Heck even hot wire your own cores. I think you could wind up way below big name kit suppliers.

what do you think?
I know I could but I was kinda hoping to find something modern in a plan. But I guess I could try my hand at bashing plans. And I reckon the outlines of are the part that I would need if I did that. Actually I like the looks of the older designs outlines better anyway.

Tools I got.

I have looked at Belair also.
Last edited by zoomer260; 04-09-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
price it all up and you'd be surprised what you come up with... it'll be more than you think i bet!

there is gear, all fiberglass pieces, lexan for the canopy, phenolics, wing/stab tubes, etc... all of the "other" parts of a kit that you don't think of right off the bat. and good laser cut pieces make a better airplane due to a better fit than hand cut pieces.

This is why I mention plans WITH availability of molded components. I don't want to go there on a scratch build ! I do like laser cut formers etc. also so a short kit isn't out of the question.

This is why I was looking to see what the "new" 260 this kit cutter had that I Can Not Remember who it was ? I'm thinking that maybe this one was a 30%.

Anyone got any ideas who I was thinking of ? It was posted here on FG and I did some searching ( I can't seem to find much on here that way) but I cannot find it.

Extra, 260 etc. too common and kit cutter did not do it but I know it was here. Maybe smeone could list all the kit cutters they know of ?

Anyway thanks for the response. I'm goin' now to check out Hostetler.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

Quote:

You may be right in the end but I have to have my starting point (plans) to find out.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by angelob
United States, WI, Stoughton
Joined Mar 2009
133 Posts

Is this what you are looking for:

http://www.precisioncutkits.com/202.htm
angelob is offline Find More Posts by angelob
Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by Balsadustt
Muncy,pa
Joined Oct 2006
119 Posts

If you are willing to build from plans (not a kit), maybe you could modify a Hurley Extra 300s into a 260 or 300 midwing design. Plans available from AMA.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/hurley/hurleyindex.asp
Balsadustt is offline Find More Posts by Balsadustt
Last edited by Balsadustt; 04-11-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Find More Posts by extra330ss
Bored Diesel Mechanic
north of the former nonsoviet republic of massachusetts, or just massachusetts, north america, earth
Joined Sep 2008
3,234 Posts

design your own.... then you can get everything you like in a plane.
extra330ss is offline Find More Posts by extra330ss
Old 09-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelob View Post
Is this what you are looking for:

http://www.precisioncutkits.com/202.htm
I've decided to bring this thread back to the front page. I'm getting desperate.

No, this is not the kit I read about it was something "new" being offered by some one. Although this is the only plans maker I can find that comes close. The one I am interested in finding out about was posted here on FG a year or so ago.

In the end it cost too much. I could buy a Godfrey kit for the deluxe kit price and if I can commit to that kinda $$$ for a kit that is the route I will go. A couple hundred more and I could have a Dalton 35%.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsadust View Post
If you are willing to build from plans (not a kit), maybe you could modify a Hurley Extra 300s into a 260 or 300 midwing design. Plans available from AMA.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/hurley/hurleyindex.asp
I have looked at this one but I can't seem to get logged on. It remembers me but it keeps giving me the log in page over and over again. I've read the articles before but I can't get ot the plans or plans offering stuff.

Actually though it's been too long since I've built from sticks to scratch build the 33%-35% stuff by myself. I'm positive I could do it though given enough time.
Last edited by zoomer260; 09-28-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Find More Posts by Sly3D
Woodland Hills CA
Joined Apr 2009
985 Posts

If your looking for a great flier here is is. http://www.daltonaviation.com/35extra.htm
Sly3D is offline Find More Posts by Sly3D
Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

Quote:
spend the little extra, build it yourself to your own specifications and give it a one of a kind scheme!!!! these higher priced kits end up being worth it to EVERYONE that buys them. treat yourself, give one a shot. the longevity of one that you build yourself (and build right) is significantly better than that of a chinese arf in most cases. the reason that the kits are as much or more than some arfs is simple... great designs and great fit and finish. not to mention.... MADE IN THE USA!!!

one of the unfortunate parts of kit production is that the 30 and 35% planes cost very close to what the bigger 40% plus size cost to produce. that is just one of the catch 22's of the kit world. again, just try one... you won't regret it!

You most likely have the only real solution to my dilemma. Your catch 22 is just that. I may stick build something small to satisfy that monkey and get an ARF to for the twin size plane.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't cut up my cards and swore off them for life. But I did on both counts. An RC junky has no business with a credit card ! Hah ! Not that anything plane related got me to do that just the ease I can get into trouble.

Quick Reply