logo
Old 04-30-2019, 01:28 PM
Find More Posts by kwilson
Drone pilot since 1979
Jacksonville, FL
Joined May 2006
1,163 Posts
Well I guess I still don't understand the logic. There are many distinctions with full scale aircraft, each having their own sets of rules, and I see no reason not to have distinctions within the UAS regulations. The FAA is fully capable of understanding and making rules to cover both LOS and BLOS aircraft, and the fact that the AMA won't push that distinction is very short sighted.
kwilson is online now Find More Posts by kwilson
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-30-2019, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by MarksHangar
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined May 2014
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilson View Post
Well I guess I still don't understand the logic. There are many distinctions with full scale aircraft, each having their own sets of rules, and I see no reason not to have distinctions within the UAS regulations. The FAA is fully capable of understanding and making rules to cover both LOS and BLOS aircraft, and the fact that the AMA won't push that distinction is very short sighted.
I must agree with you on this.
MarksHangar is offline Find More Posts by MarksHangar
Old 04-30-2019, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,637 Posts
You guys are acting like the AMA included "drones" first.

The FAA from the start never made any distinction other than professional and hobby

The AMA at that time offered to bring them in and educate before they did something that got us all shut down.
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 04-30-2019, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
28x Fanboy
United States, KS, Topeka
Joined May 2014
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Who is "Josh at Flite Test" and how is he an effective representative for giant scale planes?

He isn't. I was joking. They make Youtube videos of mainlly somewhat humorous RC stuff. Alot of scratch made foam stuff. Entertaining but not NOT effective Giant Scale representation.
Mr. Scary is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
Old 04-30-2019, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
I would argue that today, Flite Test is more influential than AMA.

AMA has historically mishandled legislative representation for the last 10 years.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 04-30-2019, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,637 Posts
You're right, 336 was terrible
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 04-30-2019, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by astrohog
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
You're right, 336 was terrible
Keyword: WAS

Astro
astrohog is offline Find More Posts by astrohog
Old 04-30-2019, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilson View Post
Bottom line is AMA failed to do so early on. End result is Section 349 of P.L. 115-254 which no longer uses the terms "hobby" or "model aircraft". Everything is either civil (Part 107), public (police, fire, etc.) or Recreational sUAS. FAA can only work within the framework established by the Congress.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 04-30-2019, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Bottom line is AMA failed to do so early on. End result is Section 349 of P.L. 115-254 which no longer uses the terms "hobby" or "model aircraft". Everything is either civil (Part 107), public (police, fire, etc.) or Recreational sUAS. FAA can only work within the framework established by the Congress.
I think you will see this continuously change over time.
Luchnia is online now Find More Posts by Luchnia
Old 04-30-2019, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
You guys are acting like the AMA included "drones" first.

The FAA from the start never made any distinction other than professional and hobby

The AMA at that time offered to bring them in and educate before they did something that got us all shut down.
The mistake AMA made up front was not drawing a clear line for the FAA to discern that the A-10 in your avatar and a Phantom are not the same. Instead AMA tried to be an inclusive "big tent" in hopes of attracting more members, strengthening their sphere of influence, and projecting a larger footprint for the FAA.

336 which the AMA was extremely proud of was quickly turned on its head by every checkbook drone "pilot" who could afford a Phantom or similar drone. Again the AMA tried to coddle this group and convince the FAA that they could help educate and control the rogue drone pilots. That failed.

And now we have Section 349 complete with testing, altitude limits, and permission to operate in controlled airspace replacing the previous inform only approach. Again, none of this was brought on by guys flying planes at AMA club fields.

AMA then brought in MultiGP, the drone racing group, as a SIG. The only one I might add that AMA does not enforce the requirement of ALA AMA SIGs to require AMA membership. MultiGP only "suggests" it for their members. IMAC, NSRCA, NMPRA, LSF, etc., etc. all REQUIRE AMA membership. Not MultiGP and AMA seems not to care. I cannot fathom why, but there it is.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 04-30-2019, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by astrohog
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,122 Posts
Quote:
Not MultiGP and AMA seems not to care. I cannot fathom why, but there it is.
It’s part of what I affectionately call, “Romancing the Drones”.

Astro
astrohog is offline Find More Posts by astrohog
Old 04-30-2019, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by Harold Smith
United States, TX, Chandler
Joined Dec 2009
599 Posts
A.M.A. actually thinks it can boost their membership if they embrace drones, while in truth very few of drone flyers even know of A.M. A.---Smitty
Harold Smith is offline Find More Posts by Harold Smith
Old 05-01-2019, 05:49 AM
Word up!
Joined Oct 2010
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Smith View Post
A.M.A. actually thinks it can boost their membership if they embrace drones, while in truth very few of drone flyers even know of A.M. A.---Smitty
Agreed, and very few even care at all about AMA. The logic behind the concept of membership growth was not followed by some solid analytics so was faulty from day one. What is the percentage of millions of multi-rotor owners have an AMA membership?

You could put join AMA on the outside of the box, join AMA cards inside the box, and even throw in some free memberships, etc., and you would only get a tiny percentage of folks. Most toss the stuff in the trash and move on.

I imagine there are a lot of RC plane flyers out there that simply joined the AMA because it was required by their local RC club in order for them to fly. That was the case for me. This is not to imply that AMA is good or bad, just the facts in my case and some others have told me the same thing when they started flying.

When we look back at all the changes that affected us in years to come, I wonder how many will change their opinions about the AMA and what it has done for the membership and the hobby?
Old 05-01-2019, 06:55 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Feb 2013
2,697 Posts
Judge and Luchnia (and others) are spot on, very well said could not agree more.

BTW, Jim T Graham wrote an excellent article about trends going back to fixed wing in the new AMA magazine. The first article in that mag I've enjoyed in a while.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 05-01-2019, 07:22 AM
Word up!
Joined Oct 2010
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttdog View Post
Judge and Luchnia (and others) are spot on, very well said could not agree more.

BTW, Jim T Graham wrote an excellent article about trends going back to fixed wing in the new AMA magazine. The first article in that mag I've enjoyed in a while.
I just got the mag and haven't had time to read it yet. I will have to take a look at that.

Quick Reply