logo
Old 08-09-2009, 04:54 AM
Find More Posts by Aussieaero's
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts
50% Hempel Edge 540

Hey Guys
I have finally started to put my 50%er together so I thought I would put up some pics of my progress. Still got a lot to do but I think it is working out ok. I know some off you guys have built them and are flying them so I would be grateful for any advice. One thing I need to know is where to start with the c of g. I guess one third of the wing, but if some one has a measurement that would be a big help.
Itís a Hempel 50% Edge 540 with a 3W 275cc TS. I have Hitec 5955 on all surfaces 6 aileron,4 rudder with the SWB tray and 4 on the elevator. I am using the powerbox royal and fromco batteries. I have fitted 2 1500mlt tanks just for fuel as I hear the3W likes to drink a bit.

Mike
Aussieaero's is offline Find More Posts by Aussieaero's
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-09-2009, 05:04 AM
Find More Posts by ferocious frankie
Huck Yeah!!!
California
Joined Mar 2006
1,675 Posts
Re: 50% Hempel Edge 540

Very clean set-up! Looks great!
ferocious frankie is offline Find More Posts by ferocious frankie
Old 08-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Find More Posts by Talbs
Uber Contributor
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Jan 2006
593 Posts

Good to see it getting to gether as i thought i was going to have to break in to your house and start building it so i could see how it would fly!!!
Nice job
Talbs
Talbs is offline Find More Posts by Talbs
Old 08-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbs View Post
Good to see it getting to gether as i thought i was going to have to break in to your house and start building it so i could see how it would fly!!!
Nice job
Talbs
Thanks Talbs

Dam now ya tell me, I will leave the key under the mat, if you want to finish it of

Mike
Old 08-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Find More Posts by austerj5b
Flyin' Around
Adelaide
Joined Jun 2008
20 Posts

sweet sweet build top quality workmanship raised the bar for sure for all of us mate well done looks like it will be a lot of fun
austerj5b is offline Find More Posts by austerj5b
Old 08-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Find More Posts by Hogboy
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra3w View Post
Thanks Talbs

Dam now ya tell me, I will leave the key under the mat, if you want to finish it of

Mike
So Mike, are we going to see this bird at Dubbo?
Hogboy is offline Find More Posts by Hogboy
Old 08-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogboy View Post
So Mike, are we going to see this bird at Dubbo?
Hi Michael
Hope to have it going for our state champs in october but not sure about Dubbo as I would have to tow the trailer as it is to big for the van. It would be funny flying the basic schedule with it though.
Mike
Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Hey talbs I showed ya mine so where is yours. Have we got a new 260 yet???
Old 08-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by gargajm
Watervliet,Michigan,U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2006
233 Posts

I built one of the first batch's of Edge's Bill produced. Has he changed anything with the construction? I noticed you have a pull pull rudder set up. If he hasn't changed anything then you will come out nose heavy. All my rudder servos are mounted in the back and I still had to move my batteries way back almost to the tail.
There were some build threads out there where guy's were making hatches just in front of the vertical fin from underneath.
Make sure you have your ignition modules mounted with a piece Dubro half inch foam. I hard mounted them with the rubber grommets that were supplied and according to the directions in the manual. It didn't last but a few flights and the bases of the module's cracked and broke.
Now for the engine. If you don't want dead sticks and possible damage to your plane I would ignore what the manual says on needle settings. Other guy's have had the same problems. If your manual says 1 3/4 on the low and 3/4 on the high you could get dead sticks. My recommendation is open the low to 1 1/4 turns and 2 turns on the high and start from there. I use the pinch method from Don's Hobby shops book Giant scale planes and Gas Engines. This method works, no matter what you may here. You will need a good tack, not the ones you get from the hobby stores, they don't have a very good sensor. Fromco has a good one. I recommend it. Start by warming your engine up. The cowl needs to be on to keep the air flow over your carb consistent with actual flying. Go to full throttle tack on. Pinch the line to your carb totally off. You can do this from inside your hatch. Note the RPM increase or no increase. If it increases more than a hundred rpm you are to rich on the high end. Sorry I didn't mention. Do the high needle first. If you get no increase you are to lean. You are looking for a hundred rpm increase both on the high and the low. If you want to use this method on a glow engine look for a two hundred rpm increase. When you get your one hundred rpm increase go to the low. Start by getting a good idle. Pinch the line. You will notice it takes the engine a lot longer to react. That is because it is only idling. I know it went faster on the high end. Again look for your one hundred rpm increase. Once you get it go back to the high and make sure it hasn't changed. This method will get you very close. You can fine tune it from there. I hope this helps!!!!
gargajm is offline Find More Posts by gargajm
Old 08-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargajm View Post
I built one of the first batch's of Edge's Bill produced. Has he changed anything with the construction? I noticed you have a pull pull rudder set up. If he hasn't changed anything then you will come out nose heavy. All my rudder servos are mounted in the back and I still had to move my batteries way back almost to the tail.
There were some build threads out there where guy's were making hatches just in front of the vertical fin from underneath.
Make sure you have your ignition modules mounted with a piece Dubro half inch foam. I hard mounted them with the rubber grommets that were supplied and according to the directions in the manual. It didn't last but a few flights and the bases of the module's cracked and broke.
Now for the engine. If you don't want dead sticks and possible damage to your plane I would ignore what the manual says on needle settings. Other guy's have had the same problems. If your manual says 1 3/4 on the low and 3/4 on the high you could get dead sticks. My recommendation is open the low to 1 1/4 turns and 2 turns on the high and start from there. I use the pinch method from Don's Hobby shops book Giant scale planes and Gas Engines. This method works, no matter what you may here. You will need a good tack, not the ones you get from the hobby stores, they don't have a very good sensor. Fromco has a good one. I recommend it. Start by warming your engine up. The cowl needs to be on to keep the air flow over your carb consistent with actual flying. Go to full throttle tack on. Pinch the line to your carb totally off. You can do this from inside your hatch. Note the RPM increase or no increase. If it increases more than a hundred rpm you are to rich on the high end. Sorry I didn't mention. Do the high needle first. If you get no increase you are to lean. You are looking for a hundred rpm increase both on the high and the low. If you want to use this method on a glow engine look for a two hundred rpm increase. When you get your one hundred rpm increase go to the low. Start by getting a good idle. Pinch the line. You will notice it takes the engine a lot longer to react. That is because it is only idling. I know it went faster on the high end. Again look for your one hundred rpm increase. Once you get it go back to the high and make sure it hasn't changed. This method will get you very close. You can fine tune it from there. I hope this helps!!!!
Hi, I think this plane could well be from the first batch as it has been in Australia for some time. I did not buy it from Bill and I am not sure who bought it in originally. I have looked at some of the forums for these planes and see that people have put the rudder servo's rearward. Can you recall where you set the cg, was it on the wing tube or more forward? It looks like I will be looking for tail wait. Thanks for the tuning advice. I have tried the ignition mount this way as I have had the same problems as you with the base plate's breaking, they are on foam.
Thanks again
Mike
Old 08-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Joined Feb 2006
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra3w View Post
Hi, I think this plane could well be from the first batch as it has been in Australia for some time. I did not buy it from Bill and I am not sure who bought it in originally. I have looked at some of the forums for these planes and see that people have put the rudder servo's rearward. Can you recall where you set the cg, was it on the wing tube or more forward? It looks like I will be looking for tail wait. Thanks for the tuning advice. I have tried the ignition mount this way as I have had the same problems as you with the base plate's breaking, they are on foam.
Thanks again
Mike

I will check and let you know. I believe I wrote it on the top of my hatch area and it is still there.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Joined Feb 2006
233 Posts

Quote:
I will check and let you know. I believe I wrote it on the top of my hatch area and it is still there.
I checked the CG I started with. It is 5 7/8" from the leading edge.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by Gaaaz
Belgium
Joined Feb 2006
73 Posts

Quote:
That's right, it's about 4" in front of the centerline of the wingtube. With the SWB-tray it should be a bit nose-heavy. Our batteries are in the same place as yours, but we have the rudderservo's in the tail. The SWB tray is very nice, we're planning to put one in the Edge too...some day
More Pics, including building pics on http://www.harofly.be -> pictures
Have Fun!
Gaaaz is offline Find More Posts by Gaaaz
Old 08-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for that, I will make that my starting point.

Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaaaz View Post
That's right, it's about 4" in front of the centerline of the wingtube. With the SWB-tray it should be a bit nose-heavy. Our batteries are in the same place as yours, but we have the rudderservo's in the tail. The SWB tray is very nice, we're planning to put one in the Edge too...some day
More Pics, including building pics on http://www.harofly.be -> pictures
Have Fun!
Thanks for the link. I have read your build thread here in giants and watched the vids Great stuff.
Mike