logo
Old 10-23-2019, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2006
3,408 Posts
FYI, first shipment is nearing sold out. We only have a couple left of each color, so if you want one from the first shipment, please pre-order. Second shipment is estimated to arrive Summer of 2020.

https://www.flexinnovations.com/Articles.asp?ID=281
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-23-2019, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by old nitroman
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2015
515 Posts
wish i could get one, very nice , have the 70 mamba
old nitroman is offline Find More Posts by old nitroman
Old 10-23-2019, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by The Count
Germany
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsflyboy View Post
Are they still using the same black covering that was used on the Red 70 Mamba? Remember that stuff delaminated the clear from the black pigment.
Interesting question
The Count is offline Find More Posts by The Count
Old 10-24-2019, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by Challenger
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2008
78 Posts
Delaminating Dark Ultracote

Whether it came off a roll from the Hobby Shop, or came on an ARF from any manufacturer, I consistently have a problem with delamination of the dark colors of Ultracote, especially black.

At this point, I just assume it is going to happen when I leave my plane out in the sun for protracted periods of time. A sun cover, all be it a little inconvenient, is the only thing that I have found to mitigate the issue. I have a sun cover for my Yellow Mamba 70, and heard that Flex will be marketing one for the M120, as well.

I love the dramatic high contrast color scheme of the new M120, and just assume a sun cover will have to be part of the program. If someone has a better solution, please share. Thanks!
Challenger is offline Find More Posts by Challenger
Old 10-24-2019, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by gmorales83
Carbon Fiber Everything
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Mar 2008
557 Posts
The nice thing about covering....you can always re-cover it, and BAM ! New airplane !

GM
gmorales83 is offline Find More Posts by gmorales83
Old 10-24-2019, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by Buzzed
3D Sunset Flier!
Joined Dec 2008
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorales83 View Post
The nice thing about covering....you can always re-cover it, and BAM ! New airplane !

GM
Yeah, but a yellow/metallic blue/white ARF from the factory is a lot less work!
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old 10-24-2019, 11:04 PM
Find More Posts by The Count
Germany
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post

At this point, I just assume it is going to happen when I leave my plane out in the sun for protracted periods of time. A sun cover, all be it a little inconvenient, is the only thing that I have found to mitigate the issue.
Thanks, that could be the reason. Especially first at the thin black stripes, I haven't issue at the cover which is in the shadow (bottom side of the wings)
The Count is offline Find More Posts by The Count
Old 10-25-2019, 09:02 AM
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2008
78 Posts
Agreed! I never have a problem with delamination on the underside or in the shadows of the aircraft. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2019, 01:54 PM
Carbon Fiber Everything
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Mar 2008
557 Posts
soooo......are they on the boat yet? Hahah
Old 10-28-2019, 02:38 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,855 Posts
Quote:
Whether it came off a roll from the Hobby Shop, or came on an ARF from any manufacturer, I consistently have a problem with delamination of the dark colors of Ultracote, especially black.

At this point, I just assume it is going to happen when I leave my plane out in the sun for protracted periods of time. A sun cover, all be it a little inconvenient, is the only thing that I have found to mitigate the issue. I have a sun cover for my Yellow Mamba 70, and heard that Flex will be marketing one for the M120, as well.

I love the dramatic high contrast color scheme of the new M120, and just assume a sun cover will have to be part of the program. If someone has a better solution, please share. Thanks!
I have fought black Ultracote for years. It seems to delaminate regardless of how it is cared for .... sun exposure or not. I try to keep my planes out of the sun as much as possible except when in the air of course. For this reason, I try to avoid buying or building planes with any black covering or trim. I have never had much trouble with any other colors. Sad because I like black trim but on a plane I build I usually substitute dark or metallic blue or something similar in its place.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 10-29-2019, 10:03 AM
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2008
78 Posts
You would be a perfect candidate for the Red, White, and Blue version! Thanks for your thoughts and observations!
Old 10-29-2019, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by crosswind
Never hover on an empty tank
Sacramento, California
Joined Nov 2009
474 Posts
Quote:

I think we all have the same problem with Ultracote. I keep my planes in the shade until I'm ready to fly. Even in the shade on a 90 degree day it will loosen up a little here and there and need some attention when I get it home after I clean it up. Out of the box on all my planes I go over all the seams and tighten up the covering before I start the assembly. I use a trim tool, Iron with a sock and a heat gun depending on the area needing attention. Ultracote is a strange animal...

This will bring a bunch of different opinions I'm sure but a far better covering is Monokote. Ultracote is "rubbery" compared to monokote, pulls at the seams much easier than monokote and definitely won't take the kinda heat Monokote will. I haven't in my 40 years of modeling had Monokote de-laminate from the color. Recently I had a repair to do on a plane that is covered in Ultracote. The color was white so instead of Ultracote I used Monokote. It handled just like the old days, went on with no problems, does not pull at the seams and to this day remains the only part of the plane that never loosens up. If I were given a choice by ARF manufacturers of Ultracote or Monokote at check out it would be Monokote every time.

Jmo, I'm sure there are those that will disagree but this has been my experience with both types of covering.
crosswind is offline Find More Posts by crosswind
Old 10-29-2019, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by bmclaughlin
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Mar 2008
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
I think we all have the same problem with Ultracote. I keep my planes in the shade until I'm ready to fly. Even in the shade on a 90 degree day it will loosen up a little here and there and need some attention when I get it home after I clean it up. Out of the box on all my planes I go over all the seams and tighten up the covering before I start the assembly. I use a trim tool, Iron with a sock and a heat gun depending on the area needing attention. Ultracote is a strange animal...

This will bring a bunch of different opinions I'm sure but a far better covering is Monokote. Ultracote is "rubbery" compared to monokote, pulls at the seams much easier than monokote and definitely won't take the kinda heat Monokote will. I haven't in my 40 years of modeling had Monokote de-laminate from the color. Recently I had a repair to do on a plane that is covered in Ultracote. The color was white so instead of Ultracote I used Monokote. It handled just like the old days, went on with no problems, does not pull at the seams and to this day remains the only part of the plane that never loosens up. If I were given a choice by ARF manufacturers of Ultracote or Monokote at check out it would be Monokote every time.

Jmo, I'm sure there are those that will disagree but this has been my experience with both types of covering.
agree 100%!
bmclaughlin is offline Find More Posts by bmclaughlin
Old 10-30-2019, 10:49 AM
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2008
78 Posts
Airfoil Horizontal and Vertical Stabs

All great points on the covering, but I think it will be Ultracote, at least for the foreseeable future.

What do you folks think about the airfoil stabs, horizontal and vertical?

Given their size, I think it brings a lot of strength to these surfaces. I also like the servos housed in the horizontal stabs with the direct drive geometry to the elevators. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2019, 04:15 PM
Carbon Fiber Everything
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Mar 2008
557 Posts
Nice to have removable stabs like our monoplanes, what i'm wondering is whether to use pull-pull, or linkage for the rudder. I'm thinking the CG won't care too much. If I used a motorized-head pilot then the weight up front will probably lean me towards a direct link rudder.

GM

Quote:
All great points on the covering, but I think it will be Ultracote, at least for the foreseeable future.

What do you folks think about the airfoil stabs, horizontal and vertical?

Given their size, I think it brings a lot of strength to these surfaces. I also like the servos housed in the horizontal stabs with the direct drive geometry to the elevators. Thanks!

Quick Reply