Old 01-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Find More Posts by vbortone
Olathe, Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 2007
53 Posts
Re: Extreme Flight 78" Extra 300 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bwana1 View Post
My Neu motor is performing perfectly as one would expect from a Neu. I should be getting 2 props to test this weekend. I post my results. Also, Scorpion has just released a new motor that is designed for F3A. It is light, and should put out the power you are looking for. One of the guys here is picking one up today to install on his 78" Extra. I should have details by the weekend on flight performance.
This is great. Let me know when you have the data. Try to do snaps going up hill and on 45 and let me know how is the recovering. I wish that I could fly this weekend.

Thanks,
vbortone is offline Find More Posts by vbortone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-13-2010, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbortone View Post
This is great. Let me know when you have the data. Try to do snaps going up hill and on 45 and let me know how is the recovering. I wish that I could fly this weekend.

Thanks,
I can already answer your snap question. I have been flying the IMAC Advanced sequence, and even propped with the 20 X 11 the snaps are not an issue. One of the guys with the Scorpion setup has been flying the IMAC Unlimited sequence on a 20 X 12, and he recently switched to a 19 X 12. Still flying Unlimited with authority. He says he likes the 19 X 12 better. I may fly a 20 X 13 on the Neu setup tomorrow if I get the time.

Of course we haven't had any winds over 10 mph here in San Diego for the last month, so we can't comment on windy day performance yet.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old 01-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Closet Jesus Freak
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2006
3,557 Posts

lol

Stop rubbing it in for us cold-weather guys .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old 01-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Find More Posts by vbortone
Olathe, Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 2007
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bwana1 View Post
I can already answer your snap question. I have been flying the IMAC Advanced sequence, and even propped with the 20 X 11 the snaps are not an issue. One of the guys with the Scorpion setup has been flying the IMAC Unlimited sequence on a 20 X 12, and he recently switched to a 19 X 12. Still flying Unlimited with authority. He says he likes the 19 X 12 better. I may fly a 20 X 13 on the Neu setup tomorrow if I get the time.

Of course we haven't had any winds over 10 mph here in San Diego for the last month, so we can't comment on windy day performance yet.
I think I should move to SD. You need to come to Kansas in summer so you can check at 25-30 mph....
vbortone is offline Find More Posts by vbortone
Old 01-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by Hammbone
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jan 2006
1,117 Posts

It looks like we are not supposed to cross the rudder cables on this plane?
Can someone please verify this for me?

Thanks, Jim
Hammbone is offline Find More Posts by Hammbone
Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 PM
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

Jim,
We all crossed our rudder cables. With a 3" straight arm, or the recommended 3.5" SWB bent arm it all lines up perfectly with no slack.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by Hammbone
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jan 2006
1,117 Posts

I didn't have the patience to wait for a response.
I installed my cables uncrossed, and it works fine that way. I used the SWB 3.5" offset arm, and I have no slack at all throughout the movement.
I noticed that crossing the cables on my plane would cause the cables to rub on the sides of the slots in the air exit baffle, but running them straight put them in the center of that slot.

Thanks for the response though. I guess it works either way.

Jim
Hammbone is offline Find More Posts by Hammbone
Old 01-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by Wojcigitty
THROTTLEMELON
Fremont, NH
Joined Aug 2006
1,180 Posts

When I set up the 58" EF Extra I crossed the pull-pull wires. To prevent rubbing, I took two 3" lengths of inner pushrod (like Gold'N'Rod, but this stuff was clear) and slipped a little ring of fuel tubing over them to keep them together. I ran each wire through one of the pushrods. It will automatically center when the wires are tight and it has held up very well so far.

It's important to prevent rubbing because there is a plastic coating on the wires. If the wires rub, the plane will work fine when you first get it together, but after a while, the plastic will wear off and there can be serious interference or the wires can break.
Wojcigitty is offline Find More Posts by Wojcigitty
Old 01-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,596 Posts

hmm decisions decisions...
Jkoch713 is offline Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Old 01-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by mxcop
Team Extreme/Team Horizon
Tuckerton, N.J.
Joined Mar 2006
1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkoch713 View Post
I couldn't justify the cost of that plane, the airframe alone would be $1,128.35 USD, not even including shipping....

Lee
mxcop is offline Find More Posts by mxcop
Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 PM
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkoch713 View Post
I don't think the choice here is apples to apples for most of us.

That Krill Thunder is a unique looking plane, loaded with the "cool factor".

Krill is known for very high quality airframes, and that has been my experience with them. They now make the airframes for the ZN-Line planes, like my primary IMAC ride the 40% ZN-Line Extra 330s.

There is a huge price difference.

The Krill is not really an ARF. The level of completion is somewhere between an ARF and a kit. No way you are going to get one in the air as quickly as the EF.

The Krill Thunder is a purpose designed 3-D only airframe, with unique flight characteristics. Designe to fit the rules of the new F6A class. By Krills own description it will not fly precision well.

I think the Krill, and the EF Extra, were designed to apeal to entirely diffferent users, and for entirley different uses. I would love to have a chance to fly the Thunder, it looks like fun! However, I think most of us want to do some mixed flying. It's hard to beat the EF 78" Extra for that. There were a bunch of us out throwing ours around today. The more we fly them, the better we like them.

If you do get a Thunder, and decide to do it electric, please do a build thread. I would follow it for sure!
Last edited by 1bwana1; 01-16-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,173 Posts

any more info on the 78" gas version?

will a dle 30 work?

will there be a pipe tunnel?

thanks
tony
vatechguy3 is offline Find More Posts by vatechguy3
Old 01-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by mxcop
Team Extreme/Team Horizon
Tuckerton, N.J.
Joined Mar 2006
1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatechguy3 View Post
any more info on the 78" gas version?

will a dle 30 work?

will there be a pipe tunnel?

thanks
tony

They should be here in the near future. The DLE 30 should be a good motor for it, and yes it will have a pipe tunnel and I would recommend using something like the ES Composite pipe.

Lee
mxcop is offline Find More Posts by mxcop
Old 01-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcop View Post
They should be here in the near future. The DLE 30 should be a good motor for it, and yes it will have a pipe tunnel and I would recommend using something like the ES Composite pipe.

Lee

When there are soooo many other Good Choices out there?
Jkoch713 is offline Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Old 01-17-2010, 01:58 AM
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

I did some prop testing on mine today.

Setup: Neu 1515-3D, CC HV-110, 10S 20C 4900 Rhino Packs

All numbers Static on ground. Winds were about 10 to 15 mph cross wind from behind. Finally some good windy condition testing, and it kept some people on the ground so good flying time.

20 X 11 Mejzlik CF Prop: 69 AMPS 37V 2553 WATTS
Very nice constant speed prop, great down lines, best of the three for 3D, and hovering. Too slow, and lost punch on long up line with multiple elements. No so good for sequence work.

19 X 12 APC: 71 Amps 37V 2623 Watts
I liked it Ok at first because it flew a little faster, with what felt like higher RPM than the Mejzlik. Still lacked a little punch on busy up lines. Not the right prop for this setup.

20 X 13 APC: 81 Amps 36V 2910 WATTS
Great sequence prop, and actually OK for hovering, a little touchy during high alpha. Could probably make it better with a throttle curve. Tons of punch on up line even with double snap, fol owed by roll. Rarely had to use full throttle even on the most demanding maneuvers. I will have to use some throttle management to make two sequences on windy days like today. I used 3700 mah on 7 1/2 minute flight. Currently my favorite prop for this setup, but who wouldn't like all that power. LOL!

Still trying to find a 20 X 12 APC to test, but everyone around here is sold out. My prediction is this one, to quote Goldilocks, should be just right.

Quick Reply