logo
Old 07-26-2019, 01:28 PM
Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Feb 2016
366 Posts
Its hard to see Jaketab but do you have the Comp Arf cockpit yet? I understand they are in production and shipping.
Renegadeflyer is offline Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-26-2019, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by Jaketab
Escape From Gravity!
United States, WV, Charleston
Joined Aug 2007
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegadeflyer View Post
Its hard to see Jaketab but do you have the Comp Arf cockpit yet? I understand they are in production and shipping.
No cockpit for me just yet. Possibly somewhere down the line.
Jaketab is offline Find More Posts by Jaketab
Old 07-27-2019, 11:32 PM
Escape From Gravity!
Joined Aug 2007
595 Posts
Maiden flights today at Butler Airfield in Summersville, WV. Home of Wally’s Squadron Fly In. Truly one of the best annual fly in events in the east. (August 14 – 17, 2019)

Got in 3 flights and each got better as I became familiar with the plane. The plane flies where you point it and has no bad stall tendencies. It flies very well even with the gear down. Flaps down cause a slight pitch up easily corrected with down elevator mixing.

Landing was different from what I’m used to. With landing flaps deployed, it slows down quickly requiring throttle to bring it in without stalling. The best landing of the day was with one wheel touching down slightly before the other. Landing is easy once you get the speed and timing right.

I found the plane to be nose heavy – based on the CG reading taken from the Xicoy CG Balancer. The pic of the elevator shows how much up elevator it required for level flight. To confirm this – when flying inverted 45 degree up-line at full throttle, the plane arcs downward to the canopy. A slight rearward repositioning of the batteries will correct this.

The only downside of the day was the tailwheel slipping out of position. There are (2) 6-32 set screws that hold the tailwheel pivot shaft in the housing. (Not the tailwheel axle) The set screws hex where you insert the 1/16” Allen wrench deformed before the screws could be tightened enough to prevent the shaft for slipping out of positon. Flat spots on the shaft will be needed to prevent the shaft for slipping.

The Moki 250 radial engine performed very well with plenty of power. The pic of the plane shows the rear section of the sliding canopy not installed. I did this on purpose to give the hot air from the engine a place to escape to prevent engine overheating. I plan to install a small vent louver just aft of the mid-wing on the underside of the fuse.

Sorry – no video today. May get the lights, (landing spot, navigation, and beacon) installed by next week.

Regards - Jaketab
Old 07-28-2019, 12:13 AM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,255 Posts
Congrats of the Maiden Jaketab, She looks great. Glade it all went well.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 07-28-2019, 05:58 AM
Find More Posts by IFLYBVM2
United States, SC, Georgetown
Joined Nov 2007
8 Posts
iflybvm2

Congrats Jake-Well done. How were the temps on the Moki ?
IFLYBVM2 is offline Find More Posts by IFLYBVM2
Old 07-28-2019, 09:56 AM
Escape From Gravity!
Joined Aug 2007
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYBVM2 View Post
Congrats Jake-Well done. How were the temps on the Moki ?
With the cowl installed, I only monitored the temps with a heat gun through the spinning prop. The readings were in the range of 215 F. The engine ran very well through all 3 flights even at full throttle and showed no sign of heat sag. With the fuel pump, the carb needle settings were at 7/8 & 1-7/16 for L & H respectively. A 12 minute flight will use about 16 oz of fuel.

Slowing the speed of the throttle servo to 1 - 2 seconds helps give a smooth engine transition.

Upon 1st start up of the day the engine makes an oily mess of the right mid wing. When the engine warms up the exhaust discharge is normal. Fuel mix is Amsoil Dominator at 48 to 1. The engine still exhibits a slight intermittent miss or popping about every 1 second.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:29 AM
Escape From Gravity!
Joined Aug 2007
595 Posts
Little more to add. The low rates I set for the controls were too docile. The plane needed more up elevator to hold the engine up on landing. Medium and high rates were much better, especially when I programed in the gyro.

I have not installed the gear doors as of yet. Still need to figure the correct linkage hook up.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by Show871
Joined Oct 2007
1,717 Posts
Looks awesome
Show871 is offline Find More Posts by Show871
Old 07-31-2019, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by yakdriver
Joined Jun 2019
53 Posts
Upon 1st start up of the day the engine makes an oily mess of the right mid wing. When the engine warms up the exhaust discharge is normal. Fuel mix is Amsoil Dominator at 48 to 1. The engine still exhibits a slight intermittent miss or popping about every 1 second.[/QUOTE]

Very scale like. If I hand't flown for a couple of weeks mine would puke out a bunch of oil all over the side of the fuselage. The Avenger had stacks on both sides and it would take an hour or so to clean that mess. Nice to know it flys nice. The full scale T-6 had some nasty stall characteristics built in. Full flaps were 45 degrees and it was tough to do a nice three point. It wheel landed very nice. If I knew I was very close to the ground I would lower one wing and touch on that main. FYI on the full scale ailerons were 15 degrees up and down and on the Harvards they were 25 down and 30 up. Most of us changed to the Harvard bellcranks. Wish mine would get here. Thanks for posting all the pics and info.
yakdriver is offline Find More Posts by yakdriver
Old 07-31-2019, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by kork
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Nov 2011
887 Posts
One of the best looking t6's i have seen!! nice bird Jake!
kork is online now Find More Posts by kork
Old 08-01-2019, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Feb 2016
366 Posts
Congrats on the maiden and keep the pics coming. Cockpit, lights and wheel doors to go yet! Not surprised you need power to land, I heard the land on one wheel trick before. I'm still waiting for mine to make the next container.
Renegadeflyer is offline Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
Old 08-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by yakdriver
Joined Jun 2019
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegadeflyer View Post
Congrats on the maiden and keep the pics coming. Cockpit, lights and wheel doors to go yet! Not surprised you need power to land, I heard the land on one wheel trick before. I'm still waiting for mine to make the next container.
Have they updated you at all? Mine is supposed to be in the next shipment also.
yakdriver is offline Find More Posts by yakdriver
Old 08-02-2019, 11:35 AM
Escape From Gravity!
Joined Aug 2007
595 Posts
Quote:

Have they updated you at all? Mine is supposed to be in the next shipment also.

You Guys hurry up and get your planes built so I won't be the Lone Ranger anymore. LOL

Found the solution to the 1st cold start up of the day to keep the oil off the wing.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,255 Posts
Thats a good idea Does the Moki Make a bit on Initial start?
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 08-04-2019, 08:51 AM
Escape From Gravity!
Joined Aug 2007
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
Thats a good idea Does the Moki Make a bit on Initial start?
Yes, it's a new engine. But not as bad once the engine is run in.

Quick Reply