logo
Old 03-19-2018, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by CHAD VEICH
ARIZONA
Joined May 2007
54 Posts
Removing the old hinge points is easy with a piece of sharpened brass tube chucked up in a drill. Find a tube that just fits over the hinge and sharpen it on the inside. I also like to use the dremel to cut a few teeth into the tube. To plug the resulting holes left after the hinge is removed use the next size up brass tube to cut some balsa dowels that will be a perfect fit. Done it many times and it almost takes longer to explain it than to do it.
CHAD VEICH is offline Find More Posts by CHAD VEICH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-19-2018, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
8,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuStOnE View Post
That's the first P-51 I've ever seen with split flaps!
I know!! cool right!
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 03-19-2018, 08:42 PM
I hammer at 1500 feet
Joined Apr 2012
8,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planebender View Post
I’ve removed a million pin style hinges and reinstalled new ones due to the same issue your faced with. For a easy method simply use a 3” long piece of brass tube approximately 3/8” diameter and sharpen it with your belt sander. Install the non sharp end in your hand drill and simply drill out the hinge , glue and all. Then using the same brass tube in your drill press I make new plugs with a 1” block of balsa drilled into the end grain and thin CA them in leaving about a 1/16” to sand. Then just redrill new holes using a Robart hinge drill guide.
This works great every time.

Dave

thank you so much Dave, I will definitely try this out. Sounds easy enough to do.. Turn the brass tube into a trephine.

I appreciate you

Cam
Old 03-19-2018, 08:43 PM
I hammer at 1500 feet
Joined Apr 2012
8,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAD VEICH View Post
Removing the old hinge points is easy with a piece of sharpened brass tube chucked up in a drill. Find a tube that just fits over the hinge and sharpen it on the inside. I also like to use the dremel to cut a few teeth into the tube. To plug the resulting holes left after the hinge is removed use the next size up brass tube to cut some balsa dowels that will be a perfect fit. Done it many times and it almost takes longer to explain it than to do it.
will do. thank you. Sounds like great advice.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:50 PM
I hammer at 1500 feet
Joined Apr 2012
8,226 Posts
can you believe, I still have not finished this airplane. Plan to do it this winter. I am still upset that the surfaces were all hinged so crappy! I wish he would have let me do that. What a mess. Oh well. I need to get this done. I need some encouragement!

Quick Reply