Find More Posts by ampEater
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2006
485 Posts
Re: A good reason not to buy cheap ARF's

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
X-jet, I can get a crank from A***n m****ls for about $75,
Dont even mention that place here Ac**n Mo**ls ain't helping our hobby in any way. I can get 2 servos from the states for the price of one at Ac**n. Same goes with all their products. They dont even put any effort into helping any of their customers. We refer to them as the Manchester Bandit.

Anyway that's my opinion and rant. Sorry. Just warning ya

Your with CMAC right?
ampEater is offline Find More Posts by ampEater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-01-2006, 04:33 AM
Joined Jul 2006
485 Posts

Wow that one sounded a bit worse than i meant. Makes me sound like a real angry guy lol Im not really haha
Old 12-01-2006, 05:54 AM
Find More Posts by XJet
Uber Contributor
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
886 Posts

Quote:
X-jet, I can get a crank from Acorn models for about $75, I figure If I go to the trouble of pulling the engine apart I might as well give her the full rebuild and put in new bearings and piston and liner depending on what condition they are in.
I think you'll be shocked at the price of a piston/liner pair. With most ABC engines these two parts come to about 80% the price of a whole new motor. Besides which, a good engine should last around 350 hours of use, if not more. I've got a TT46Pro that's nudging 300 hours and it's only a couple of hundred RPMs down on the new one I bought a few months back. The only work that old engine's had was a new set of bearings ($18) at 200 hours or so.

Quote:
The other problem is that I have never dismantled one of these tiny little engines before, someone said you have to heat them up in the oven to get the liner out?.
It depends -- sometimes the liner slides right out, other times it needs a bit of heat. The bearings will certainly require heat to remove, but it's a simple job -- throwing the crankcase in an oven at around 180 deg C for 10 minutes usually does the job.

However, if you're worried, you can send me the whole moter and i'll throw a dial indicator on the crank to see if it's worth fixing and let you know. I've got a full workshop up here -- I build jet engines and UAVs for a living so piston-engine stuff is easy-peasy :-)

Quote:
Roll around Sunday!.
If we get some decent weather -- man it's been windy as hell up here and on Thursday it rained so hard that visibility was less than the width of our runway.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old 12-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Find More Posts by XJet
Uber Contributor
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampEater View Post
Dont even mention that place here Ac**n Mo**ls ain't helping our hobby in any way. I can get 2 servos from the states for the price of one at Ac**n. Same goes with all their products.
Most retail hobby shops are the same now.

I went to a certain NZ agent for Hitec servos (and Thunder Tiger) a while back, wanting to buy four digitals (HS5925). Their price was exactly *twice* the price I'd have to pay to import them directly from somewhere in the US like ServoCity.

I suggested that if I was about to drop around $800 on servos, perhaps they could see their way clear to offer a little discount -- especially bearing in mind the 100% premium being demanded.

"No can do, those are the prices, take it or leave it" was the response.

So, although I'm always really keen to support local retailers, I imported directly and got them for a shade over NZ$450 including freight. Hell, if they'd said "okay, we'll give you 15% for cash" I'd have been glad to pay a bit more and avoid the hassle of importing -- but they didn't, so they lost the sale (and any chance of future sales to me) completely.

Meanwhile, I've since spent about US$2K with Servo City, mainly on servos, receivers and the like.

The same goes with other stuff like engines etc. Instead of pricing their products *realistically* and making modest but livable margines, most retailers seem hell-bent on achieving 100% markups. I don't mind paying more to support the local model industry but I'm blowed if I'm going to pay twice what something's worth.

Lots of the model-shops cry poor and claim that the internet (through private imports) is taking their business away. I'd argue that it's their rip-off pricing that's driving customers to the Net.

Mind you, there are still a few that keep their prices realistic (albeit not "cheap"). I buy a snot-load of stuff like clevises etc from 436. They offer great service (most stuff arrives the day after it's ordered through the Net) and for small stuff (clevises, horns, etc), it's just not worth importing direct at their prices.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:20 AM
Find More Posts by coaster
Yakkin!
Christchurch New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
49 Posts

Well here is AT-40 #2, ASP 52 up the front. Hope it's a good day tomorrow so I can fly her!.

Quote:
Dont even mention that place here Ac**n Mo**ls ain't helping our hobby in any way. I can get 2 servos from the states for the price of one at Ac**n. Same goes with all their products. They dont even put any effort into helping any of their customers. We refer to them as the Manchester Bandit.
I agree their prices are a bit steep and their product knowledge sucks, but they do have most of the little bits on hand and I can drop in and get most things immediately so it's not all bad, If a little hard on the wallet!.

Quote:
I think you'll be shocked at the price of a piston/liner pair.
X-jet, There is an outfit called Just Engines in the UK that will do a "Short motor"(Crankcase, Crank, Bearings, piston/liner and conrod) with supposedly better porting and a better liner coating than the O.S. version for around 50 Pounds shipping included, http://www.justengines.unseen.org .

I had already ordered the crank through Acorn when you made your kind offer so I will have a crack at replacing it myself, I might send the bent one to you though, never hurts to have a spare, Where do you get your bearings at $18 (a pair?), Cheapest I have seen is about $50. I was thinking that if the old ones are buggered I would just take them into a couple of places in town and see if they had any to match.

Got the car packed for tommorow already!!!.
coaster is offline Find More Posts by coaster
Old 12-02-2006, 02:51 AM
Find More Posts by XJet
Uber Contributor
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
886 Posts

Quote:
Well here is AT-40 #2, ASP 52 up the front. Hope it's a good day tomorrow so I can fly her!.
I hope you're going to put more rubber bands on than that before you fly :-)

Quote:
X-jet, There is an outfit called Just Engines in the UK that will do a "Short motor"(Crankcase, Crank, Bearings, piston/liner and conrod) with supposedly better porting and a better liner coating than the O.S. version for around 50 Pounds shipping included, http://www.justengines.unseen.org
That's still around NZ$150 -- hell, I can buy a brand new TT46Pro for that and the TT is every bit as good an engine as the OS.

Quote:
I had already ordered the crank through Acorn when you made your kind offer so I will have a crack at replacing it myself, I might send the bent one to you though, never hurts to have a spare, Where do you get your bearings at $18 (a pair?), Cheapest I have seen is about $50.
I buy my bearings from RC-Bearings in the USA. A set of OS46 bearings is US$$6.97 (NZ$10 or so) and he sends them out via USPS Priority mail (the other $8 or so) which means they take less than a week to arrive.

Paul, the guy who runs RC-Bearings is an excellent bloke to deal with and stands behind his products 100%. You can also opt to upgrade to stainless or ceramic bearings at a really good price too.

Quote:
I was thinking that if the old ones are buggered I would just take them into a couple of places in town and see if they had any to match.
When I priced the same bearings locally they wanted about NZ45 -- way expensive?

Quote:
Got the car packed for tommorow already!!!.
There were four AT40s flying at our field today with power-plants including TT46, OS46FX, TT61 and ASP61FS. Everyone had a ball and the only minor damage was to my own one, when flutter took out the elevator servo after (yet another) full-throttle dive from about 600 feet. Fortunately it just pulled out and, through judicious use of the throttle, I was able to land with minumal damage -- just a broken firewall caused by the nose-leg being bent back a bit hard.

These are tough planes -- but use *lots* of rubber bands on those wings!
Last edited by XJet; 12-02-2006 at 02:52 AM. Reason: got the quote tags wrong
Old 12-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Joined Jul 2006
485 Posts

Yeah 436's service has been flawless. Orders always arrive the next day. Galtech, Watts Up, and Bandit are also very good. We just got the short end of the stick down here in ChCh

Bit windy this morning for flying Oh well went out to the CMAC patch yesterday morning nd had a good fly
Old 12-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Yakkin!
Christchurch New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
49 Posts

Well, She flies great!. Went down to the field this morning and sat around for a couple of hours waiting on the weather, Came in good just before lunch, race for the starter and off she goes. Thanks for convincing me to have another crack at the AT-40, It flies beautifully!.

X-Jet, I have attached a pic of my bent crank. Do you think it's worth a go at straightening it?.

Thanks, Pete.
Last edited by coaster; 12-02-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Find More Posts by XJet
Uber Contributor
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
886 Posts

Well that sure is bent, you don't do things by halves :-)

It's hard to tell if it's able to be saved -- I'd have to check the area where the thread ends to see if there are any obvious stress cracks.

Straightening would involve heating that part of the crank to anneal the metal then straightening it and re-checking for cracking.

The problem is that if the crank has been hardened during manufacture and not tempered properly at the thread-end, it will have been weakened by the bending but the only way to tell is to do a hardness test of the material immeditely before the bent bit. Most cranks are pretty well made these days and the threaded portion is left fairly soft so they straighten quite well.

If you want to fire it off to me I'll take a look and let you know. I don't charge for such things, it's just a service to the hobby and I'm glad to help others out when I can.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:45 AM
Yakkin!
Christchurch New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
49 Posts

Sounds good to me, Where do I send it to?.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by 3Dman
Israel
Joined Jan 2006
303 Posts

Here some advice:

After a cheap pruduct cheap is getting expensive

Sorry for the lost man

3Dman