Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyguy View Post
I wish it would stop raining.
I think this year is the least I have flown my planes so the AMA/FAA has not really come to my mind much at all. I think at times this thread is rather amusing watching the jabs go back and forth.

I am an RC weekend warrior and the weekends around here have had rain, wind, and other things have robbed my flying time. Now we jump into summer and see how that turns out.

Hopefully the fall season will be extra nice this year and I can make up for lost time.
Luchnia is offline Find More Posts by Luchnia
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by franklin_m
Joined Aug 2016
153 Posts
NEW RULES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrat View Post
Frankiln has too much free time.
The advantage of working only every other month and being an early riser. I’ve been to the range 8 times over the past two weeks. Flew three times in a park mid-week when I had the place to myself. Also painted the front door and garage door frames, moved my boat out of storage, and replaced carbs on two lawn mowers.

Quote:
Franklin is not tactful.
I prefer blunt or direct. But ok.

franklin_m is offline Find More Posts by franklin_m
Last edited by franklin_m; 06-17-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by astrohog
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Astro points this out - and for the first time ever, I agree with Astro. I know, I cant believe it either.
astrohog is offline Find More Posts by astrohog
Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 PM
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothata540 View Post
We donít require a federalist attitude to be governed. Do it at the club level is all Iím saying. Those that stay with the times and rules will succeed and those that donít will fail. Membership numbers will show success. The EC and AMA is going to be the Standard Minimum. Itís up to the club and itís leadership to fit in to the surrounding communities. But in order to change Congress, steps forward must be taken at the town and state level for a congruent ruling or interpretation. AMA is our advocate to continue the hobby, itís up to us to be ambassadors and take a democratic approach. If youíre looking at AMA as the dictator and end all say all, you may be taking the wrong approach.
Well, right now, (at least seemingly) the AMA is directing its membership to, "fly as you always have", which conflicts with what the new Sherriff in town has outlined.

You talk about the AMA being the standard minimum. Did you miss that it is now the FAA's job to do that?

Astro
Old 06-17-2019, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by Toothata540
Huckin', Learnin', & Burnin'
United States, MA, Montague
Joined Dec 2013
588 Posts
Astro

I do understand where you’re coming from. “Fly as you always have” doesn’t necessarily mean the same thing for all of us as we have different sites and conditions. It happens that by our club, the newest set of rules are what we always have flown by since the knock on the door in 2014 with the FAA’s interpretation of model aircraft, registration and the whole nine. . For those in controlled airspace this does have a different meaning, especially if the LOA’s aren’t fully established and agreed upon.

AMA is the minimum standard for our hobby community by the Code, which is recognized as a “CBO’s community guidelines” as stated in the reauthorization. FAA is certainly now able to make more rules and promote laws which after AMA advocates for us (whether or not they reach concessions) will then be the new minimum. But the simplification of the “Code” was meant to be just enough but not incriminate us immediately as modelers and allow us to be site specific at our club level to comply and operate safely. By the language in the reauthorization the CBO is more thoroughly recognized as the minimum.

It’s going to take a bit for things to shake out and see what kind of guidance the FAA compliance officers receive to be consistent in enforcing the laws and regs. I think that’s where AMA is coming from right now. It’s the same thing with EPA regs when they come out. It usually takes several months to a year before you see EPA agents in the field inspecting and enforcing the new regs due to the implementation of suggested guidance documents, practices and training. Inconsistency on this would be a mess in the courts if the officers aren’t congruent.
Toothata540 is offline Find More Posts by Toothata540
Last edited by Toothata540; 06-17-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 PM
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothata540 View Post
By the language in the reauthorization the CBO is more throroughly recognizes
I think what Franklin has been trying to warn about (and I tend to agree), is that many AMA members are assuming that the AMA is still relevant in the eyes of the FAA and that they will be granted, "Grand Poobah CBO status".

It is my opinion that the AMA has lost its focus over the last several years, and does not seem to have the same relevance with the Government that it once did. It is for this reason that I believe the AMA should be spending some effort in being proactive by Implementing some changes in its, "safety programing" in order that it be taken a little more seriously by the Feds.

BTW, I HATE rules...Ö.If only we all could be responsible enough to act in ways which would preclude the necessity for rules.....

Astro
Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by Toothata540
Huckin', Learnin', & Burnin'
United States, MA, Montague
Joined Dec 2013
588 Posts
10-4. AMA certainly has earned a seat at the table, but if there is a safety concern, the FAA will address as they did in this case with Controlled airspace. So going back to my comment from a previous post, I think we can agree that they aren’t the “end all” for guidance.

With Franklin's comments he brings up a few safety concerns he’s run into, bypassed the club level and tried to go right to the top. This approach generally gets shot down no matter what business you’re in. My point to him was he needed to get involved in the club to make the change and forward the safety culture, rather than saying “THEY didn’t do anything about it”. Seems like from a couple of bad experiences and disagreements he’d love for nothing more than to see the whole community fail, give us all the finger and fly erroneously under part 107 to have fun? This is where I disagree with him and it’s up to us to be ambassadors to promote what we all enjoy in this hobby. I do understand a few bad apples can ruin it for the rest of us, but don’t come to the table with a chip on your shoulder and tell us we’re all irresponsible idiots.

I agree with you, I too hate too many rules, hard to remember them all and still have fun.

AMA has to watch out too, more rules can decline membership and deter new members, but a lax approach will get them in trouble. It’s a thin line they walk to advocate for us and they won’t please everyone. They do seem to have less relevance, but are still at the table. Now that table has commercial advocates with boku bucks lobbying for their airspace and money usually wins. 20 years ago AMA was the only one at the table but that’s not the case now. The whole game board has changed.
Toothata540 is offline Find More Posts by Toothata540
Old 06-17-2019, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
815 Posts
Please judge for the love of God shut it down
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 06-17-2019, 10:37 PM
Find More Posts by Judge