logo
Old 03-02-2020, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by superleccy68
United Kingdom, England, Framlingham
Joined Jan 2018
93 Posts
thanks for the heads up Ronaldopn. I will study that blog post in detail and all the info. If required I am quite happy to change the set up, so will see. Hopefully the maiden will be on Wednesday if the weather proves correct
Video clip to follow
superleccy68 is offline Find More Posts by superleccy68
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-04-2020, 10:01 AM
Joined Jan 2018
93 Posts
Cracking day for a maiden flight after weeks of rain and wind so I "got it done" and pleasing it was too. I always take a few stills prior to a maiden in case it's never like that again!! Bear in mind that I flew very cautiously for the first two flights - nothing too wild - just enough to test her out. CoG seems about OK with the lipos positioned as per the build. Only some small trims required with 2 clicks of right rudder, 3 clicks of up elevator and right aileron. Vertical flight better than I expected which suggests the 28x10 prop does the job. I could have squeezed a bit more duration out of the new lipos, but called a landing after 6 minutes to be safe. The video clip here is pretty average bearing in mind it was a head cam GoPro (much better if I had somebody to video it separately on a better camcorder. I could get closer then) The main interest is in the take off and landing I guess!! It show the first of two flights.
Extreme Flight 104" Extra 300 100cc Electrified - Maiden Flight (6 min 58 sec)
Old 03-04-2020, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by rclad
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2016
168 Posts
Congratulations on the maiden! Looks like you had a good day for it. What was the temperature?
rclad is offline Find More Posts by rclad
Old 03-04-2020, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by rclad
Joined Sep 2016
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleccy68 View Post
Thank rclad. Sadly no maiden yet as we are still under the jet stream in the UK and weather is rubbish. Might be a window of opportunity next week on Wednesday fingers crossed.
Sounds good to get 10 minutes although I must admit I will be surprised to get that. I am using Overlander lipos. Which brand of Lipo are you using?
As to your question about weight, I haven't assessed it as all EF airframes are as light as they can be for their size. I know that's a cop out! I think if I need to shed weight I will save myself at least 1/2 kg by ditching the Turnigy CA motor and replacing it with a Hacker Q100-7M beastie. Will see how it goes though. I will have a look at your blog to view your maiden. Good one!

I'm using Glacier 30C 8,000 mAh LiPos in my 95" and Dinogy 65C 10,000 mAh packs in my 104". Both are 12s setups, so I can use the FrSky voltage sensors.

I didn't get a video of my maiden. Just as well. My plane was badly out of trim on takeoff, as I was in a bit of a rush and didn't thoroughly check all surfaces were exactly at neutral. Once trimmed out in the air she flew very well. You did a much better job getting yours set up before take off!
Old 03-04-2020, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by rclad
Joined Sep 2016
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldopn View Post
rclad, I saw the EF Extra build log on your blog, what a fantastic and well documented project, congrats!
Ronaldo

Thanks! (Sorry I didn't see your post until now.) As you mentioned, Aeroplayin's StinGR really makes an electric version of this plane practical for IMAC aerobatics, or the 3D flying you guys do.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:04 AM
Joined Jan 2018
93 Posts
Thanks for the comments, rclad not many days like it here. Temperature was 4-6c, bit warmer when the clouds came over. Also thanks for the lipo info the Dinogy 65C 10A packs look the business. I will try and find some.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Dec 2014
338 Posts
Congrats on the successful maiden, Adrian!
That is an awesome flying field, I think I would get dizzy with that much space.
I also use an action cam and head strap to video my flights, they do make the plane look like it is miles away. I had 2 GoPros and now use a SJ5000X elite which I like a lot. I'm able to get a slightly narrower FOV with it.
Ronaldo
ronaldopn is offline Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Old 03-05-2020, 06:24 AM
Joined Jan 2018
93 Posts
Cheers ronaldopn. I am very lucky with the field as I have permission to fly off a private light aircraft strip. It used to be an old USAAF airbase in WWII. The farmers either side of the grass strip like my R/C flying over the fields as it keeps the pigeons off at certain times of the year!!
I am interested in your choice of SJ5000X elite and the spec looks good too. Unsurprisingly the battery life is shorter on the highest definition, but that's to be expected. I thought I might consider it for an upcoming snorkelling trip. Good price too.

Quick Reply