Old 05-02-2019, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I know the 400 ft is an issue for iMac gliders and a few others. I have a laser range finder I occasionally take to the field. I fly 35 percent and up, I am currently building a 43 percent. For general flying and 3D I find I am hardly ever going up to 400 ft. O suggest if you can obtain one it can be informative. I personally thought I was flying up around 600 ft to set up a blender or knife edge spin but I was going up between 375 to 450 ft on average. I do my best now to stay below 400 ft especially since our grandfathered field is less than 5 miles from DTO airport
450 is still over 400
Luchnia is offline Find More Posts by Luchnia
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-03-2019, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by scootr
2 many planes 2 little time
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Sep 2015
1,063 Posts
This could get interesting.
My car has a built in speed limit.
It simply will not go faster than the set limit.
What if new models got similar vertical limits?
scootr is offline Find More Posts by scootr
Old 05-03-2019, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by dusturbd
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2015
789 Posts
This is a good reason to stock up on rx and electronics now before new crap gets forced into them
dusturbd is offline Find More Posts by dusturbd
Old 05-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
JR DA 215 Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,829 Posts
>>> What if new models got similar vertical limits?<<<

They would stop at 400 feet and float away in the wind.
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 05-03-2019, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
I sincerely doubt we will see that kind of geofencing required for non-autonomous capable sUAS for the foreseeable future. Current and proposed laws do not even require that on drones that can easily implement that type of control. Could they require it? Sure, they could require you to wear a pink Tutu to fly. But I doubt either one will happen.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 05-03-2019, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
Pink tutu .......???
rooman is online now Find More Posts by rooman
Old 05-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by JuStOnE
1988 IAC Unlimited Champion
United States, PA, Lumberville
Joined Jul 2013
408 Posts
Apologies if this has already been posted. You may not like the AMA, but they seem to have some sway in Washington.
https://cdn.fbsbx.com/v/t59.2708-21/...67PcXFp0nRjmms
JuStOnE is offline Find More Posts by JuStOnE
Old 05-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuStOnE View Post
Apologies if this has already been posted. You may not like the AMA, but they seem to have some sway in Washington.
That made my day.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Old 05-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by astrohog
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuStOnE View Post
According to one columnist who reports on energy in SE Asia for The Financial Times...…….

He did not cite any specifics or quotes from any of the commercial interests, just his take on it.

Astro
astrohog is offline Find More Posts by astrohog
Old 05-06-2019, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by kwilson
Drone pilot since 1979
Jacksonville, FL
Joined May 2006
1,242 Posts
The link doesn't appear to work any longer. What was in the article?
kwilson is offline Find More Posts by kwilson
Old 05-06-2019, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by suds
indywestrc & viehercfliers
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Jul 2014
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilson View Post
The link doesn't appear to work any longer. What was in the article?
Article:
Model aircraft enthusiasts prove unlikely foe for Amazon
Model aircraft enthusiasts prove unlikely foe for Amazon
Tech industry insiders say hobbyists are effective lobbyists against commercial drones
By Kiran Stacey
May 2 2019
https://www.ft.com/content/2574825c-...d-04f350474d62

Mark Kitka does not look like your average activist. A stocky former navy pilot with a neat white moustache, he has spent the last two years lovingly recreating the S3-Viking he flew for the military in near-perfect model form.

But Mr Kitka is also part of a group of model aircraft enthusiasts who have proven to be one of the most effective lobby groups in the US against rules that would allow widespread commercial drone flying.

Technology executives say the Academy of Model Aeronautics has been an unexpectedly powerful opponent in the race to get their aircraft airborne, adding the group is one of the main reasons Amazon and others are still unable to deliver their goods by drone.

“We are all waiting for the Federal Aviation Administration to come up with the rules which would allow commercial drones to fly,” said one lawyer working in the sector. “But every time the regulator proposes something that would also impinge on model aircraft hobbyists, the AMA bombards members of Congress with emails and phone calls.”

The AMA says it wants to be excluded from any rules the FAA proposes, arguing the regulator’s current proposals could cost its members a total of $2bn.

Mr Kitka said the rules could mean each individual hobbyist has to pay hundreds of dollars to fit equipment to their models to allow them to be identified remotely by law enforcement or other agencies.

“Putting a $1,000 transponder on aeroplanes would be the end of model aircraft flying,” he said in a recent interview at his local flying field in rural Maryland.

Under current rules, anybody in the US can buy a drone from a shop and fly it almost anywhere, except over certain protected sites. The main restrictions are that fliers cannot fly their aircraft over people, at night or, crucially, out of their line of sight.

Companies wishing to fly drones where their operators cannot see them currently have to register as an airline, as Alphabet’s Wing Aviation did last month. But the cost of complying with airline safety standards is steep, and the FAA is drawing up rules that would allow drones to operate more widely.

According to lawyers and industry experts, however, the main sticking point is remote identification. If commercial drones are to fly beyond the line of sight of their users, law enforcement agencies say they must be able to identify immediately who their owners are — otherwise there will be more incidents such as the one that brought London’s Gatwick airport to a standstill last December.

But given that current laws do not differentiate between drones and model aircraft, model aircraft fliers worry they will be forced to fit heavy and potentially expensive transponders to the outside of their lovingly-made devices.

For some, the added weight could impede their racing performance. For others, it would detract from the perfection of their replicas.

“This S3-Viking is the only one like it in the country,” said Mr Kitka, who has fitted his model with a miniature pilot and printed his own name on the side under the cockpit window. “It is 95 per cent accurate.”

Fellow model aircraft enthusiast Rick Moreland added: “We have competitions to judge how perfect our scale models are. You don’t want anything on the model that wouldn’t be there in real life.”

Commercial drone operators, however, vociferously oppose any exemptions for model aircraft.

In a submission to the regulator in 2017, the Commercial Drone Alliance argued: “For tracking regulation to be successful, it is imperative that any such regulations encompass all but the smallest and most unsophisticated UAS [unmanned aircraft systems] in order to be effective.”

The regulator is due to publish its recommendations on remote identification later this year, but the date keeps getting pushed back as it looks for ways to accommodate the concerns of various groups, including the model aircraft community.
suds is offline Find More Posts by suds
Old 05-06-2019, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
JR DA 215 Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,829 Posts
>>>Commercial drone operators, however, vociferously oppose any exemptions for model aircraft.<<<

Vociferously definition, crying out noisily

Here you go,,,

Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 05-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,167 Posts
LOL! They can come to my field and track my plane going in 800 foot circles as much as they need to feel comfortable.
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Old 05-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Like the current Part 107 enforcement of any rules is not going to happen with the FAA unless there is a serious accident. The AMA could try to get clubs to require compliance, but I don't see that happening in any substantial way.

All of this comes down to the FAA having a framework which they can use to issue violations if you cause an issue. I simply cannot see them policing it actively.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 05-07-2019, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by scale only 4 me
It's Hooty Tooty Here?
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2010
1,960 Posts
So, as flying season is here in the north,,, is there a post or web site that outline the "current rules" in simple English? The AMA site is a joke and these posts are nothing but noise.
scale only 4 me is offline Find More Posts by scale only 4 me

Quick Reply