logo
Old 07-21-2019, 12:55 AM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Very interesting and unique set of plans., There is so many plans around that are unknown.

Hows the 33% S1 going?
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
33% S1

I have it entirely kitted. I have made laminating formers for the wing tips, wing cut out and complete enpenage. The geodetic work will be done before the halves of both horizontal and vertical surfaces will be seperated. I have dry fit the rest of the it. I bought the last set of gelcoated Mike Smart parts made. Just for authenticity but Craig Schmidt's parts would work fine. I bought them from Bob Holman years ago along with 25% S1 parts. For as popular as 1/4 scale is there are no glass parts available for them. Anymore. Smart should have redrawn the plans before their release. The crutch is crooked and the wings have different chord top and bottom because of an error in measurement. The 6.5 degree sweep in the top wing was his error in measuring chord. The smaller one is at the same point. My trouble is I work on several subjects at once. I will correct the plans, kit the model, acquire the glass parts and all acc's then put it in a box and move to a different subject. Pending retirement leaves me in a great position to finish there. I have several Pitts in this state. A 33 Sheber S-2, S1 a 25% Black magic, the original, I must fab parts for. And my favorite Pitts of all, the #1 Replica built by the friends of Curtis Pitts for the 50th Anniversary. It Has a T-Craft bowl but the air inlets have louvers running opposite to the T-Craft. A bit of Fab work there. The Waco's are job on in assembly. Love my Bipes.
Model_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Old 07-22-2019, 02:15 AM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Keep the Pics coming Sounds like great projects.

Would you build 35-40% Size? I think the 37% Looks great in a Pitts etc.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:16 PM
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
40% AeroDynamics S2-A Show Pitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
Keep the Pics coming Sounds like great projects.

Would you build 35-40% Size? I think the 37% Looks great in a Pitts etc.
Yes, a 40% is in the works. Planning still. The Aero Dynamics Pitts had a high degree of pre-fabrication done for the builder. The kits were "I think" about $5K in the day. All parts that could be shrink/vacuum arranged onto cardboard backing were. The leading edges were preformed aluminum. The built up ribs were done by the end user I believe.

Remember when the full scale Christen Eagles had to make the end user build their own ribs so that Aviat could continue to sell kits and comply with the 51% of fabrication being done by end user.

I was trying to find a set of original 40% plans but the differences in building techniques I decided it wouldn't warrant the cost of the mile of paper that would be req'd. As in lofting a full scale boat plan up to working size, a guy often transposes the layout onto paper/wooden patterns or materials themselves and that wing could be drawn onto the building board as a bunch of accurate hash marks. As well as the crutch. With any luck there would be no plans to have to worry about rolling up. Rib, lamination formers and empenage sections would have to drawn. Attached are samples of kit components as found on ebay.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:20 PM
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
40% Article

This the one page of the article I found, scanned in upper and lower halves for maximum detail.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:28 PM
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
Just a Great Photo.

Jim Moser with Bucker BU131 Supermann flying in form with Jim Holland in S2-B. Jim rec'd kits from both "Pilot Model Kits" and from "Carl Goldberg" . The two variants are both correct. Jim Moser flew the Bucker as a 2 place before modifying to a single place.

The current owner has converted the Bucker back to a 2 place to enjoy company while he flies.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:18 AM
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
Quote:
Very interesting and unique set of plans., There is so many plans around that are unknown.

Hows the 33% S1 going?
Here is one that is a great Subject. The set has about 8 sheets of the Pitts alone. It was a "Hobby Helpers" plan that had a "Church Midwing" in the plan set. The Pitts is Little Stinker N22E. A Pitts
S1-C in 1/4 scale. The C version had one less rib bay on the bottom wings as well as full span ailerons with an M-6 airfoil top and bottom. This plan builds a porky little Pitts that is most scale. For a .60 2 cycle.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:42 PM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Wow thanks for all the Infom the 40% Aero Dynamics looks great. So Much detail and work in that one.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:34 PM
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
40% AeroDynamics S2-A Show Pitts

Quote:
Wow thanks for all the Infom the 40% Aero Dynamics looks great. So Much detail and work in that one.
The original molds for the parts. For old school molds the detail is is there. Dzus fasteners. Blisters , hinge lines. I have a master glass guy who gets wonderful results with light glass and Isopthoholic Polyester Resin. The parts have a Matt finish from the molds. Steve rotates the molds during the curing to eliminate pooling of resin. And there is no polyester smell at all to the Isopthoholic Resin. Much superior to epoxy imho.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:53 PM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash48 View Post
To answer your previous question, what size was the Stricker '90-'92 Ultimate; approximately 36% scale, span shortened 10%, tail moment stretched 10%, horizontal stab dropped 10%. Overall fuselage length including spinner was 96".

The G&L Ultimate was the next step after the '88 built up Ultimate and was designed directly from my '88 plans.

http://www.glhobbies.com/Biplane/36bipe.html

Glass fuselage,foam/balsa wing.
Would there be plans etc available to build this again today?
Old 07-24-2019, 10:11 PM
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
Author Unknown

Here is a drawing I downloaded from somewhere. Many thousands of these images have been taken down or would only be found by chance if still acccessible. Back to the TOC topic I bet someone must know this artist's work.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by Rusty 73
Flyin low and Smooth
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2014
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model_Builder View Post
The original molds for the parts. For old school molds the detail is is there. Dzus fasteners. Blisters , hinge lines. I have a master glass guy who gets wonderful results with light glass and Isopthoholic Polyester Resin. The parts have a Matt finish from the molds. Steve rotates the molds during the curing to eliminate pooling of resin. And there is no polyester smell at all to the Isopthoholic Resin. Much superior to epoxy imho.

My dealings with polyester resin is that is cracks as it ages, epoxy stays flexible and doesn't crack ... If you have pooling there is excess amount of product in the cloth ....https://www.aeromarineproducts.com/p...s-epoxy-resin/
Rusty 73 is offline Find More Posts by Rusty 73
Old 07-24-2019, 11:56 PM
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty 73 View Post
My dealings with polyester resin is that is cracks as it ages, epoxy stays flexible and doesn't crack ... If you have pooling there is excess amount of product in the cloth ....https://www.aeromarineproducts.com/p...s-epoxy-resin/
Regular polyester is not good. A crude product that stinks forever. There's a world of difference between Isophthalic resin, which will not crack either and prehistoric polyester.

If I am glassing wing sheeting or any glass over wood, built up cowls, anything. I use Horizon's Deluxe products Laminating fluid. Again, no fumes, ease of application and superior finish.

It wouldn't occur to me to try to replace epoxy when finishing boat hull exteriors or reinforcing interior chines, skeg or transom, so epoxy has it's applications most definitely.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:17 PM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Where would we find plans today to build and ultimate of the 35-40% Range? Be awesome to build the Stricker flown one.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by Whiplash48
Maryland
Joined Apr 2009
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model_Builder View Post
Here is a drawing I downloaded from somewhere. Many thousands of these images have been taken down or would only be found by chance if still accessible. Back to the TOC topic I bet someone must know this artist's work.
That would be mine. This was a VERY primitive sketch of what Steve and I thought we wanted to build for the '88 TOC. There is a long story about this airplanes evolution that I can get into later. This airplane was a collaboration between Steve and Me after I had done a stretched 10-200 Ultimate of my own. Steve has a lot of really good knowledge about how to make model airplanes fly well, I have the design/drawing/building skills to make those ideas work. Steve is an excellent builder now that he is older.
Whiplash48 is offline Find More Posts by Whiplash48

Quick Reply