logo
Old 06-27-2020, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by deadrobmusic
They Call Him Dead
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jun 2007
1,039 Posts
It is also true that we need to keep the Covid curve down so that hospitals do not get overwhelmed. Masks are very good way to slow the spread.
deadrobmusic is offline Find More Posts by deadrobmusic
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2020, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Welcome to Costco. I love you.
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2006
4,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrobmusic View Post
Masks are very good way to slow the spread.
So is personal responsibility.

Masks are to protect others right?

So if you are sick, wear a mask or stay home. Pretty simple.

I'm pretty sure I'm in charge of my own life. I can disseminate information and make informed decisions that will keep me safe and my family.

If you're sick quarantine. If you are sick and have to leave your quarantine please wear a mask, gloves. Would you do anything differently if you had the flu?

If these power hungry morons want to mandate anything, this is what they should be mandating.

The real problem is that the left has made wearing a mask a racial, Trump supporter, insert whatever other insult. Instead there could be a real push to keep sick people out of the public. That would flatten the sh*t out of the so called curve.
lxcoupe is offline Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Old 06-27-2020, 10:10 AM
Find More Posts by deadrobmusic
They Call Him Dead
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jun 2007
1,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxcoupe View Post
So is personal responsibility
Well, here at the beach we have 10s of 1,000s coming to visit and going out to the bars where there are wall to wall people. We just got a public service announcement from our local hospital that they are at 70% capacity. With the way people are acting, we are going to overwhelm the system.....
deadrobmusic is offline Find More Posts by deadrobmusic
Old 06-29-2020, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by greenrebellion
Joined Jun 2020
0 Posts
Reading through this thread is just astonishing the lack of common sense. Let's use our heads folks, if what someone tells you violates simple common sense, it can’t be true.

First, masks at best do nothing but are actually likely to increase the spread of the virus. This is why countries like Denmark / Sweden among others do not recommend wearing masks. They believe mask wearing by general public do MORE HARM than good. Masks are filters, filters concentrate particulate (look at your used HVAC filter), thus these masks become highly concentrated sources of bacteria / viruses. General public violates ALL the rules for mask wearing - rules such as NEVER rewear the same mask twice, ALWAYS thoroughly wash your hands for 20-30 seconds every time you touch your mask, NEVER adjust your mask or touch anywhere near your mask without washing your hands. Masks become a highly concentrated source for viral spread and 99% of the public violates these mask rules 100 times per day.

Further, how do we know as FACT that masks do not stop spread of respiratory virus? Simple. The science is undisputed. We have studied respiratory viruses for decades. We have looked at Asia, we have looked at third world nations, we have looked at western nations. We have looked at all manner of these viruses and tried to find answers to transmission because they KILL TENS OF THOUSANDS OF AMERICANS EVERY YEAR.

Again - We know masks don't work to stop respiratory virus transmission. We've studied this for **DECADES**. This is why we do not recommend people wear them all the time during flu season - they do nothing. The R0 of the seasonal flu is 1.3 (COVID is 3). It would only take the SLIGHTEST drop in transmission rates to eliminate the seasonal flu (drop R0 below 1) and save hundreds of thousands of lives over several years. Yet masks cannot even accomplish the slightest drop in transmission rate for the flu which is why NOBODY HAS EVER recommended you wear a mask during flu season.

The science has been conclusive and UNANIMOUS -- masks in the general population do not work, they do not work anywhere. There have been dozens of randomized clinical trials (the gold standard of medical science) over the last 30+ years unanimously showing masks are worthless to halt spread of respiratory viruses.

They don't work because they CAN'T work. Viruses are too small. Short of a powered breathing apparatus or filtered bottled air (e.g. scuba or SCBA style tanks) FORGET IT. In fact, it would be a huge paradox if masks did work seeing as viral aerosol particles are too small to be blocked by masks. Those arguing for face masks are arguing for something that is outside the reality of physics AND, what's worse, that multiple RCTs, have UNANIMOUSLY DISPROVED.

TLDR: IT IS NOT PRUDENT TO DO SOMETHING THAT LITERAL DECADES OF SCIENCE SAYS HAS NO BENEFIT WHATSOEVER AND IN FACT MIGHT BE HARMFUL BY BECOMING A CONCENTRATED RESERVOIR FROM WHICH YOU CAN MANUALLY SPREAD THE BUG.
greenrebellion is offline Find More Posts by greenrebellion
Old 06-29-2020, 12:04 PM
Joined Jan 2006
4,277 Posts
Just a little back up to the above post.

I guess this would be a bit of truth that the morons in charge don't want the people to know about.

https://www.rcreader.com/commentary/...-social-policy
Old 06-29-2020, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by 3daviator
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Jan 2006
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxcoupe View Post
Just a little back up to the above post.

I guess this would be a bit of truth that the morons in charge don't want the people to know about.

https://www.rcreader.com/commentary/...-social-policy
Great article and video, I've spoken with Del Bigtree on other issues, great guy IMO.
3daviator is offline Find More Posts by 3daviator
Old 06-30-2020, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by JeffV
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined May 2017
10 Posts
It really is amazing how quickly they can have people reciting the mantra. All they have to do is repeat it over and over again and people take it for the truth. They condition you slowly with words. First they take away words that can NOT be used, this list gets longer every day. Then they hit you with words and phrases to control the way you think. Such as " new normal " this is to get you to except some of these authoritarian restrictions permanently and for you to be willing to have one person (your governor) be able to have the power to put these restrictions in place. Our system is not set up that way, that's why we have 3 branches of government. Checks and balances is what our founders had in mind. The list is long of the phrases that the "news" has repeated over and over to sway the public opinion.
JeffV is offline Find More Posts by JeffV
Old 06-30-2020, 10:17 AM
Joined Jan 2006
4,277 Posts
Frog in a pot of water with the heat coming up slowly. Lots of mush brains out there.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by greenrebellion
Joined Jun 2020
0 Posts
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26...3l3fXLhxMP_bXs

Here's what the CDC published in MAY 2020.

Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids (36). There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure. Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.
greenrebellion is offline Find More Posts by greenrebellion
Old 07-01-2020, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by JeffV
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined May 2017
10 Posts
Would we be better off now without lock downs?

IMO All we did was kick the can down the road and now we've caught up to the can. Instead of picking up the can and dealing with it for the last time, the officials want to give it another kick. Why?
JeffV is offline Find More Posts by JeffV
Old 07-18-2020, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by jharkin
2 wings are better than 1
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Interesting that the mods took a direct, on topic comment on a the events in a photo thread and split it out into a separate thread where it looses all context.

It’s truly sad that trying to protect human health has become “political”
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Old 07-18-2020, 06:58 PM
Joined Jan 2006
4,277 Posts
Yeah it is truly amazing how the party of science and global warming is ignoring science and legitimate studies.

I'm sure all those people that had attended that event are all positive and are on their death beds.

Unfortunately their is no reasoning any longer. It's just whatever camp you are in is what you believe. If you go against the party line you get canceled.

None of this is ever going to get better.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:41 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
I don’t know what “party” you are in... I for one am in the party of “let’s not have millions of people die for no reason”

One thing for sure, this disease has revealed how ignorant, anti-science and backward much of society is. We could have had a slow, controlled reopening with people taking common sense precautions allowing the health care system to recover, therapies to be developed and the economy to at least partially resume. Instead we have the Wild West and healthcare system in much of the south heading towards complete collapse.

My wife works in health care so I take this pretty personal.

Thanks for making our country the laughing stock of the world
Old 07-19-2020, 07:51 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffV View Post
Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Just once in my life, I would like to see somebody who uses this quote online, demonstrate that they actually researched it and the context of the original statement.

Spoiler alert: It doesnt mean what you think it means, not at all. What it actually meant was a defense of the right of the colonial assembly in PA to levy taxes.

https://techcrunch.com/2014/02/14/ho...y-vs-security/

If you care to actually read it:
Quote:
In fine, we have the most sensible Concern for the poor distressed Inhabitants of the Frontiers. We have taken every Step in our Power, consistent with the just Rights of the Freemen of Pennsylvania, for their Relief, and we have Reason to believe, that in the Midst of their Distresses they themselves do not wish us to go farther. Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.9 Such as were inclined to defend themselves, but unable to purchase Arms and Ammunition, have, as we are informed, been supplied with both, as far as Arms could be procured, out of Monies given by the last Assembly for the King’s Use; and the large Supply of Money offered by this Bill, might enable the Governor to do every Thing else that should be judged necessary for their farther Security, if he shall think fit to accept it.
https://founders.archives.gov/docume.../01-06-02-0107
Old 07-19-2020, 07:57 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrebellion View Post
TLDR: IT IS NOT PRUDENT TO DO SOMETHING THAT LITERAL DECADES OF SCIENCE SAYS HAS NO BENEFIT WHATSOEVER AND IN FACT MIGHT BE HARMFUL BY BECOMING A CONCENTRATED RESERVOIR FROM WHICH YOU CAN MANUALLY SPREAD THE BUG.

You are fee to post this "decades of science" if you want.

Things we do know:

1 - Masks dont filter out the virus. Nobody has claimed they do.

2 - Masks DO catch a lot of resperatory droplets from caughs and sneezes.

3- Masks have a strong psychological effect, making people think twice about taking risks such as touching their face

Ask anyone with even minor medical training and they will tell you #2 and 3 are the big reasons masks are promoted. All your screaming online wont change the fact that states that mandated masks early are doing the best right now, and states that resisted are a disaster.

Quick Reply