logo
Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by almmendes
Antonio Mendes
Longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,063 Posts
Hobby-Lobby Pitts S-2 3D Profile Plane - 9.3oz

Hello, I want to share with all of you my new model. I bought this model for $19.99 and started to build it. The original specs of this airplane are:

"30" wingspan, 28" long, 345 sq. in. wing area, 12 oz. flying weight, about 5 oz. per sq. ft. wing loading. Easy to build and fly all pre-printed foam biplane. Unique die-cutting process "pinches" the foam around the edges and produces a more aerodynamically clean airplane. The plywood N-struts, wing struts and motor mount are all die-cut. Includes pre-bent wire pushrods and carbon rod reinforcements. A strong performer when combined with our low cost Esskay OUTRUNNER motor. Fully capable of many 3D maneuvers such as the "Windmill", "Rolling loop" and others. Good for a beginner to learn on, yet challenging for the expert to fly. For 4 channels: Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder and Throttle"

but let me tell you something.... The only plywood that I used was for the engine mount. Everything else I cut it but just for making the molds for 5mm depron that I had extra from my Flatana. The plywood sheet was not cuted enough and so it was pretty hard to do the countours but after some time on it I got it. I got a carbon rod in the middle of the wings struts to reinforce and it works.

I used 400 sand paper and made a 45 degree angle in the ailerons and elevator. I also did it in the rudder but now I advise to do just 25 degree angle in both sides and just use tape in both sides also.

I used 5m epoxi with micro spheres so I have more resistance in the engine mount and it works great.

I used three (3) 4.8gr Servos and instead of the kit link system I used carbon rods. The pushrod system they with the kit it's pretty good and easy to work with. The airleron servo fits so perfectly that I just secure it with a little bit of tape and it does not move . I also changed the aileron to aileron linkage system using carbon rods and micro EZ-links. They work great...

I'm using a RimFire 22M-1000 Brushless motor with a Phoenix 10 Amp and a 11.1v 350mAh 15C battery. I tried to use a Phoenix 9 Amp that I bought in the past but it doens't work...

I was super happy and surprised when I got it fully ready to fly and weight it and the scale showed 9.3oz.

I haven't got the chance of flying this airplane yet because of snow, too much wind or because of my family but as soon as I fly it I'll let you know how it behaves. However, I do not advise to even spend the time buiding this model... It's too fragil and not so good material... but for $19.99 what was I wanting...
almmendes is offline Find More Posts by almmendes
Last edited by almmendes; 03-05-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by schonnwurfel38
Joined Sep 2006
12 Posts
Re: Hobby-Lobby Pitts S-2 3D Profile Plane - 9.3oz

the depron for cabane and wing struts was a great idea.

hey allow me to apologize i reread what i wrote that does look incredibly rude of me i apologize. you will love your model make sure to iron the hinge tape it may not adhere 100% to the foam. it is a durable plane but yes around the firewall it may be brittle if the prop impacts the ground. prop-saver or firewall bracing would be nice. and cut out elevator for throw.

have fun flying your model you will have great fun with it the pictures are great to see how someone improved the models design to make it better. shows the inginuity of modelers and what fun todays hobbyists can create with a little desire and a lot of knowledge
schonnwurfel38 is offline Find More Posts by schonnwurfel38
Last edited by schonnwurfel38; 03-05-2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: previous post was unecessarily rude of me. no excuse. i apologize
Old 03-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Antonio Mendes
Longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,063 Posts

Here some pictures...

You can get more information at

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8696
Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Antonio Mendes
Longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schonnwurfel38 View Post
its not really fragile at all i have close to 100 flights on mine with all the stock materials it came with it flies great. if you know how to build a plane and esspecially something as simple as this foamie it wont be a challenge but that has proved impossible for our friend here hahahaha.

if you read some books on building or magazines or websites you'll learn what other people are doing and how the real world builds their planes hahahaha.
Hey, I do not want to get personal with this and I'm sharing my experience with who wants to read about it. If you have an opinion you can say it but do not talk bad about someone you do not know nothing about.

What is this suppose to mean "...something as simple as this foamie it wont be a challenge but that has proved impossible for our friend here hahahaha."? Get real with me please. At the time you posted a reply to me thread I didn't had any pictures of my model and you tell me things about building airplanes in the real world. Why are you judging someone you don't know and don't know their models ?

I feel bad about what you said so please edit your reply and re-type somethings you said.

Thank you
Old 03-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by 3DFreak576
Shank Bangin'
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Joined Jan 2006
673 Posts

Schonnwurfel38 take that stuff somewhere else man, that attitude doesnt belong here...

almmendes, i love the fiberglass packing tape. I use that stuff all the time on foamies it really adds alot of strength even if just used for hinges like you have..
lookin forward to hearing how she flys....get a video!!!
3DFreak576 is offline Find More Posts by 3DFreak576
Old 03-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Antonio Mendes
Longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,063 Posts

I totally forgot and our friend schonnwurfel38 remind of that.

I did slightly open the area where the rudder meets the elevator and I did enlarge the curves around 1/4" where the elevator meets the rudder. This I think will allow more control in both ways.

I'm going to try to fly it this weekend if the weather here in Marlborough, MA let's me and if so I'll post more pictures and maybe a video.

Thanks for watching this thread.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Antonio Mendes
Longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,063 Posts

Hi guys...

I tried another battery a little bit "bigger" 7.4v 730mAh 20C and it works like a charm... much better.

This model really rocks with this battery and it gives you 10-15 minutes flight.

I still don't like this model but it behaves much better with this battery.

Have fun...

Quick Reply