logo
Old 06-11-2019, 10:46 PM
Find More Posts by Tropical Joe
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2019
12 Posts
Discussion
Help

Someone HELP Please. I started my first Gas Biplane today and when I put the plane back in my basement the whole basement smells like gas. Before I get turned off can someone give me suggestions on what to do about the smell ???
I was going to try Coleman fuel but there was to many mixed feelings on it. such as #1- low octane #2 - use octane booster (How much) #3- dealer won't warranty engine if you use it. I did empty airplanes tank. What else can I do ?? The other issue is bringing gas back and forth to the field in your car. Now the car is going to smell as well. I use to fly Nitro many years ago and just recently started with electric ( not a big fan ) So how can I make this more enjoyable ?? Thanks for any and all suggestions. Much appreciated.-
Tropical Joe is offline Find More Posts by Tropical Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by alky6
United States, CA, Dixon
Joined Jul 2013
187 Posts
If you’re planning to go the specific fuel route, use Sunoco Optima fuel. It’s expensive, but won’t stink everything up. Buy in a 5-gal pail, add 16 oz bottle of redline oil and you’re good to go. When it evaporates it won’t leave that nasty smell on your hands or anything else. There are other options to plug vent lines, etc. But I can’t stand the aromatics of pump gas.
alky6 is online now Find More Posts by alky6
Old 06-11-2019, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
998 Posts
I am sure the Sunoco Optima is a good option. I use Avgas 100LL. Its as close to odorless as you can get and evaporates similar to rubbing alcohol and leaves no residue. I am not worried about it "voiding" any warranty, before you ship an engine off to be fixed just pour some stinky auto gas on it and inside. I store planes inside garage and spare bedroom no smell at all. Currently I am paying $3.50 gallon
Festivus is online now Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 06-12-2019, 03:55 AM
Find More Posts by Phil liebo
United States, TN, Sevierville
Joined Apr 2018
80 Posts
I use the pre mixed gas in a can you can buy at Loweís or advance auto. Itís expensive but my engines seem to love it! Iím sure if I were out flying all the time I wouldnít spend the money but Iím lucky to get one or two weekends a month.
Also make sure all your fuel tubing connections tight and secured.
Phil liebo is offline Find More Posts by Phil liebo
Old 06-12-2019, 04:47 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,390 Posts
Did u plug your vent line and exaust before taking plane into the house...I've stored many gas planes in my house...very little if any smell
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 06-12-2019, 05:07 AM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
1,086 Posts
At the field
Before you pack the plane into your car at the flying field, plug the vent line with a fuel dot. Plug the exhaust outlets with a rolled up wad of paper towel. Be super careful not to spill gas on the fueling jug or aircraft if you defuel. Clean the entire plane with Windex or your favorite cleaner before you put it in your vehicle.

When you get home
Store the plane horizontally. Do not store the plane on its nose leaning against the wall.

Gas Can
Make sure your fueling jug (1, 2 or 5 gallon, whatever you are using) is not leaking or seeping any fuel. The fittings must all be tightly sealed and completely dry before it goes into your vehicle. A small wet spot of gas can make a surprisingly big stink. For safety, definitely store that in your garage or shed, not in your basement.

I use regular 89 octane or 93 pump gas (depending on the engine) with Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer and 3-line tanks in my planes. The vent line has a loop over the top of the tank which is normal good practice to reduce/eliminate siphoning in flight. My planes are stored in the garage and/or sometimes go directly into my indoor shop. No smell at all.

Last, if you notice any smell when unpacking your car, don't bring it into your house! Something is probably leaking. Find the source and address it.
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Last edited by RCAddiction; 06-12-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,201 Posts
Basement ?
Fumes ?
Water Heater ?

Boom !
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 06-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,806 Posts
All my planes are stored in the basement and there are zero odor issues. Believe me .... my wife would tell me if there were! I don't do anything fancy to prevent odors other than wiping the planes off before bringing them in and making sure there are no drips or other fuel residue. Tanks are thoroughly drained! Fuel can is stored in the garage with the lawn equipment jugs. About the only time I have a gas odor in the basement is when I'm working on a carb or fuel system.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-13-2019, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by Jackdl
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Oct 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy082662 View Post
Did u plug your vent line and exaust before taking plane into the house...I've stored many gas planes in my house...very little if any smell
I do this every time I take my plane into the house. Changes in temperature can cause pressure differences in the tank causing the fumes to be expelled into the room.
Jackdl is online now Find More Posts by Jackdl
Old 06-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdl View Post
I do this every time I take my plane into the house. Changes in temperature can cause pressure differences in the tank causing the fumes to be expelled into the room.
The temperature in my basement doesn't change more than 2 degrees year around. I never plug any openings.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
I find it helps considerably to run your tanks dry.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 06-13-2019, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
550 Posts
I agree with all the above statements really. I plug my fuel line vent(don't forget to remove before filling your tank)... as well as stick some wadded up paper towel in the exhaust.

I don't have any problem with fuel/gas odor(my wife would definitely tell me). There has been occasion where I've spilled or leaked gas in/around the engine, and then it will give off odor, but I let it sit out for a day or 2 and it will evaporate fine. I also drain my tanks after each flying day. I never leave fuel in anything.

I even store a few planes in my back bedroom(we call it the plane room), and there's zero evidence of gas smell.

Are you sure you don't have any leaks or openings in your fuel system that would allow vapors or fuel moisture to escape?
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 06-13-2019, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by Tropical Joe
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2019
12 Posts
Help part-2

Its seems like many people are using different types of gas. Why ? Because of the smell. So it also seems I am not the only one that is having a problem. Yes my vent line is plugged and my plane is washed down. Gas has an extremely powerful smell. I can't believe one can take there plane with a container of gas back and forth to the field and have no smell in there car or in there house. If just a few drops go on your hand and you wash your hand your hand will still smell of this gas. Anyway I really appreciate the recommendation for these different fuels. I will try them. I got some ordered already. Happy flying---- Check these photos out - A little eye candy
Tropical Joe is offline Find More Posts by Tropical Joe
Old 06-13-2019, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,074 Posts
Sounds like you should fly larger scale electric.. if you don’t wanna smell gas at all with your setup of transporting in a car and storing inside it’s gonna be tough. I just run 93 octane with redline oil. Aviation fuel smells good when it burns but it has lead in it so it has a different smell and it’s on the expensive side. I used to run it in my high compression 2 stroke dirt bikes and race quads.. before 9/11 we could go out to the fuel truck at the Airport and fill up but that’s done now!
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 06-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by amiller
CANDY MAN
United States, NC, Clemmons
Joined Sep 2008
397 Posts
I love the smell of gas and oil....
amiller is offline Find More Posts by amiller

Quick Reply