Old 11-03-2019, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothata540 View Post
I broke in my DLE 35 on 100LL and that with a bowmans ring made that little engine a powerhouse. In fact the jug was almost as smooth as a DA. The only issue was that every 10-12 flights I had to change the plug because the electrode would get plated with Pb. The higher octane stuff also runs cooler if you have overheating issues.
I have been using 100LL since the early 90's. I experience the same issue with 30 to 35cc engines, on 55, 60 , 72 and 120 twins no issue with lead deposit, I change plugs once a year. No scientific testing just seem the larger cylinders do not have the issue, but the smaller diameter cylinders are very prone to build up.
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by boothg-3
rhome , texas
Joined May 2008
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I don't know the exact reason, but DA says not to use white gas. This is to prevent damage to the engine according to DA.
I’ve used Coleman lantern fuel for over 15 years in my quadras,brison,s, zenoahs and now dle,s after reading about using it in one of Clarence Lee,s articles
boothg-3 is offline Find More Posts by boothg-3
Old 11-03-2019, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by A.Delaney
United States, IL, Streator
Joined May 2018
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothg-3 View Post
White gas it works great
What is white gas?
A.Delaney is offline Find More Posts by A.Delaney
Old 11-04-2019, 06:56 AM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,165 Posts
White gas like Coleman fuel is very low octane. I believe its 50-60 octane. On a very low compression engine it'll work fine. On higher compression engines though it will pre-ignite and cause knocking, pinging and possible engine damage.

91 octane, ethanol free, with redline for me.
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 11-04-2019, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
Back in the 70s my dad bought me a 75cc dirt bike and he was told to run White gas in it....If I remember right , Amaco was where we got it. I was just a kid and I didn't care, I'd run what ever I could get my hands on to keep riding.
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 11-04-2019, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by crazyjoe
co
Joined Jan 2006
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
With VP at $30.00 a gallon I will stick with redline oil and pump gas. If the fuel mix sits for a while, I can put it in my truck and burn it that way and refill 5 gallons of fuel for under $15.00. When I was practicing for finals I would burn 3-4 gallons a weekend. Just to much extra money for no benefit at all.
I could not agree more. I have never had a problem with pump gas. I have 10 year old engines with original carburetor.
crazyjoe is offline Find More Posts by crazyjoe
Old 11-05-2019, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
Never a problem with pump gas here. I have a few engines that are over 15yrs old, and hundreds of hours on them. I'll take the gamble that they'll be fine.

I'm flying way too much these days, probably more then any other time in my 40yrs of flying.

I go through nearly a gallon every session. That would get rather expensive for me as I go out at least 3 times a week or more, not that I can't afford VP, but why?... when what I've been using forever works for me...

...but as was mentioned, use what you like.... just fly!
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 11-06-2019, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by Toothata540
Huckin', Learnin', & Burnin'
United States, MA, Montague
Joined Dec 2013
639 Posts
The VP for those of us that don’t fly as often as we’d like and use 5 gal for most of the season is a decent deal though. I had a can that I broke open last season and finished up this spring. A 5 gal can with a 16 oz bottle of redline comes out to about $17.50/gal. The pre blended VP is way more expensive for no real reason and a waste of money. Still, the non blended VP is half the cost of nitro and if you’re going to store it in the trailers or months it won’t pick up moisture like ethanol pump gas or start to smell rancid after several months.

If you burn 5 gal per month and keep the gas fresh, regular old pump gas shouldn’t hurt anything at all. I would recommend the Stihl HP ultra oil in this application as it does have good stabilizers in it. Not sure about the redline stabilizers, though it’s a more perfect Esther based oil with less impurities than a regular synthetic oil. But I’ll keep the oil discussion for that more controversial oil thread I saw earlier (lol).

PS - as stated before, if you use a top tier fuel like Shell, Chevron, 76, etc..., and go through it more frequently, pump gas is just fine.
Toothata540 is offline Find More Posts by Toothata540
Old 11-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
If you add Sta-Bil to regular pump gas it also won't turn sour or become stale. It's a not-free-but-not-too-expensive solution. I look for deals on it and often buy the 32oz size. I also use it in the (16) 5 gallon jugs of fuel (stored in a concrete bunker) for hurricane season for my generator. 2 oz per 5 gallons.

Sta-Bil is especially helpful if you don't burn through gallons fast enough to prevent fuel decay. With my work schedule I don't get that many flights per month. Also, I split my fuel between 89 and 93 octane depending on the engines. Sta-Bil works. It's recommended by small engine/power equipment manufacturers for good reason. There are other fuel stabilizers that have come to market but I'm most familiar with Sta-Bil.
RCAddiction is online now Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 11-06-2019, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
If you add Sta-Bil to regular pump gas it also won't turn sour or become stale. It's a not-free-but-not-too-expensive solution. I look for deals on it and often buy the 32oz size. I also use it in the (16) 5 gallon jugs of fuel (stored in a concrete bunker) for hurricane season for my generator. 2 oz per 5 gallons.

Sta-Bil is especially helpful if you don't burn through gallons fast enough to prevent fuel decay. With my work schedule I don't get that many flights per month. Also, I split my fuel between 89 and 93 octane depending on the engines. Sta-Bil works. It's recommended by small engine/power equipment manufacturers for good reason. There are other fuel stabilizers that have come to market but I'm most familiar with Sta-Bil.
+1
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 11-06-2019, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post

I have always had great success with Sta-Bil too. I put it in my motorhome for the winter and the generator always starts in the spring with no issues at all. A few years ago I had 15 gallons of fuel in my jetski and never had a chance to burn it out. I added Sta-Bil for the winter storage and pulled the trailer around to get it mixed up. That fuel stayed in there for a year. When I went to use it I didn't add any more fuel to it so I could burn it all out. That engine never had any issues pulling 7140 RPM's and still hole shotted my buddies ski like it always had. And that engine is running a modified head for more compression and the factory tuned pipes.
jamesrxx951 is online now Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 11-07-2019, 07:21 AM
Find More Posts by Cory S
United States, NH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2018
21 Posts
If some of you are worried about the Ethanol content in pump gas, just test it. It's super easy.

I have an Ethanol content tester ($20.00) and I test the fuel at the pumps in my area 2-3X per year. I haven't had any fuel test above 6% Ethanol in 4 years, with MOST tests coming in below 4%..... I too have not once had any fuel related issues with pump fuel in over 15 years.

Ethanol created issues with small engines over 15 years ago. People that didn't maintain their power equipment much, and let them sit causing super dirty fuel systems started the whole discussion. Then they added Ethanol pump fuel to them, and it washed all the dirt in the fuel system straight to the carbs. Or they added the ethanol fuel and let it sit for a few YEARS..... DUH........
Cory S is offline Find More Posts by Cory S

Quick Reply