to remove ads between posts
Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 PM
guy
Find More Posts by guy
guy
Joined Nov 2007
16 Posts
Re: 50cc Yak 55sp from Dawghouse

Ordered my yak sp today. Going to put in the 3mm toc-53 motor, Im very excited as this will be my first 50cc plane. I got the orange one. Thanks scott for your help and patience, outstanding customer service.
Thanks,
Brian
guy is offline Find More Posts by guy
Last edited by guy; 01-21-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Find More Posts by ULTIMATE1
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Sep 2006
1,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC3D View Post
Nice lookin bird, except for the canopy, it bugs me.
17+ lbs. is a bit on the heavy side for a 50cc bird, ya think.
Scott emailed me this morning and his production plane weighed 16LBS 1oz here is a few mor pics and yes it has a closed in pipe tunnel
Attached Thumbnails

Attached Images
ULTIMATE1 is offline Find More Posts by ULTIMATE1
Old 01-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by ULTIMATE1
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Sep 2006
1,980 Posts

Brian,
Instructions are in book form. I do have a program version but I don't know if the zip file will make it to you. I will try.
Payment by cc over the phone is ok till the security certificate comes through on the site check out.
Flew the production model Sat, straightest flying plane I have ever had. Absolutely no coupling with rudder and that was without setting all expos and stuff. With 53cc unlimited vertical. We got some video, will be cutting it and posting in the next couple of days.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Old 01-22-2008, 12:31 AM
Find More Posts by Black Bird
Into The Light I Command Thee
Utopia
Joined Mar 2006
1,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy View Post
Ordered my yak sp today. Going to put in the 3mm toc-53 motor, Im very excited as this will be my first 50cc plane. I got the orange one. Thanks scott for your help and patience, outstanding customer service.
Thanks,
Brian

Pulled the trigger. Good job buddy. Being this is your first gasser, Im sure you will enjoy this aircraft alot more than the extra. I called Scott today and found out they only have prototype sukhois. Now I am looking at the Yak harder. Sub seventeen pounds sounds emaculent with my TOC. I like the orange color scheme. Please consider posting pics of your progress, as I intend to do the same when my cash flow increases.
Black Bird is offline Find More Posts by Black Bird
Old 01-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Find More Posts by Black Bird
Into The Light I Command Thee
Utopia
Joined Mar 2006
1,355 Posts

I am sure Scott is very busy assisting other customers, so I am going to post a few question about the Yak. I hope others have the same questions.

How much is shipping and estimated delivery time? Meaning 2day, 3day, ground, insured, or will a signature be required.

What is the out of box weight? What is the distance from the ground the bottom of the fuse at the main langing gear location.

What size standoffs do you need? What is the diameter of the cowel opening. Baffling is possible but is it needed? Will you charge for the 3MM template without an engine purchuse? Where is the throttle location in the production model. What is the distance from the front of the cowl to the prop hub? This distance is critical as it affects prop performance.

What prop was used? What is the prop clearence from the ground? Do you offer a discount on a Vess with a aircraft purchase? What are good RPM numbers for the TOC and a Vess 23a. 22b vs 23a, which prop do you feel would fly this plane better. Meaning which Vess props provided intended flight performance?

How did you get the production model to weigh sub seventeen pounds? I noticed there was not a spinner on the aircraft. What is the torque required on the servos? What servos were used? How many batteries were used? What were the size of the batteries? Is there an internal antenna tube? Is it located away from the pull-pull system?

What size servo exstensions do I need for the ailerons and elevators? What is the recommended length for the servo arms? Do the hex screws that retain the elevator stabs have a tendancy to vibrate loose? How do you recommend retaining the servo extensions in the fuse from the elevator stabs after removal?

What is the recommended CG location and what is the location in Scott's production model. Ultimate atested the Yak has little to no coupling. Was this with a forward, recommended or aft CG? Which CG do you feel would provide hands off level inverted flight. Last question, did you have fun?

If my questions go unanswered fully, fret not for I will eventualy discover the answers myself. Hope I can pick one up before they go off sale. Sometimes I wish this hobby came with a lay-away plan.
Black Bird is offline Find More Posts by Black Bird
Last edited by Black Bird; 01-22-2008 at 01:43 AM. Reason: content
Old 01-22-2008, 11:05 AM
guy
Find More Posts by guy
guy
Joined Nov 2007
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bird View Post
I am sure Scott is very busy assisting other customers, so I am going to post a few question about the Yak. I hope others have the same questions.

How much is shipping and estimated delivery time? Meaning 2day, 3day, ground, insured, or will a signature be required.

What is the out of box weight? What is the distance from the ground the bottom of the fuse at the main langing gear location.

What size standoffs do you need? What is the diameter of the cowel opening. Baffling is possible but is it needed? Will you charge for the 3MM template without an engine purchuse? Where is the throttle location in the production model. What is the distance from the front of the cowl to the prop hub? This distance is critical as it affects prop performance.

What prop was used? What is the prop clearence from the ground? Do you offer a discount on a Vess with a aircraft purchase? What are good RPM numbers for the TOC and a Vess 23a. 22b vs 23a, which prop do you feel would fly this plane better. Meaning which Vess props provided intended flight performance?

How did you get the production model to weigh sub seventeen pounds? I noticed there was not a spinner on the aircraft. What is the torque required on the servos? What servos were used? How many batteries were used? What were the size of the batteries? Is there an internal antenna tube? Is it located away from the pull-pull system?

What size servo exstensions do I need for the ailerons and elevators? What is the recommended length for the servo arms? Do the hex screws that retain the elevator stabs have a tendancy to vibrate loose? How do you recommend retaining the servo extensions in the fuse from the elevator stabs after removal?

What is the recommended CG location and what is the location in Scott's production model. Ultimate atested the Yak has little to no coupling. Was this with a forward, recommended or aft CG? Which CG do you feel would provide hands off level inverted flight. Last question, did you have fun?

If my questions go unanswered fully, fret not for I will eventualy discover the answers myself. Hope I can pick one up before they go off sale. Sometimes I wish this hobby came with a lay-away plan.
Hello, I can answer a few af you questions. Sent through fedex,around $100 for shipping sould have her on friday, 1 inch stand offs, paper template comes with 3mm toc-53, you get a throttle servo mount witch I was told you mount on the side of the fuse in front of the wing tube, Im pretty sure. Im trying a vess 22b for more 3-d style flying, will also try a 23a, running a 1800 4.8 for the ignition and a 2100 6v for the servos, running 5945s. elevator servos 1.25 arms, and 1' for the ailerons. I have a bunch of 24' extentions sould be ok, if not I will add on some 6' extentions. wing area is over 1400 sq inches Very Good. hope this helped , and I plan on posting pictures durring my build.
Thanks
guy is offline Find More Posts by guy
Last edited by guy; 01-24-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:22 AM
guy
Find More Posts by guy
guy
Joined Nov 2007
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTIMATE1 View Post
Brian,
Instructions are in book form. I do have a program version but I don't know if the zip file will make it to you. I will try.
Payment by cc over the phone is ok till the security certificate comes through on the site check out.
Flew the production model Sat, straightest flying plane I have ever had. Absolutely no coupling with rudder and that was without setting all expos and stuff. With 53cc unlimited vertical. We got some video, will be cutting it and posting in the next couple of days.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Old 02-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by Boomhauer
YOU HAVE BEEN OFFICIALLY TAGGED!
Arkansas
Joined Oct 2006
1,472 Posts

This plane looks awesome and I may possibly be considering one, Scott, have you ever considered producing a Katana 50cc? Not many around in the 50cc range with a good price. Anyone have a video of the Yak yet?
Boomhauer is offline Find More Posts by Boomhauer
Old 02-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Find More Posts by zoomer260
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

Distance from fuse to axels a whopping 8.5 inches. The tires are 3.5 " and weigh almost nothing. One Dubro weighs more than the pair. I didn't pull a 3.5" Sullivan Lite to compare but I'm sure thes are lighter. So add another 1.75" to 9.75" from fuse to dirt.
Inside diameter of the cowl is 10.25 "
It would take a 26" or better prop to cut grass !
The recommended starting point for CG is 27% MAC and the book gives you the means to calculate that on any tapered wing. I ain't that far along yet so I don't know the measurement.
There is no antenna tube.
The fit on EVERYTHING is tight. Better to start there than the option.
It's 100% built up wood. Open bay wings, and control surfaces. Sheeted stabs and turtle deck.
Extensions are recomended 36 " on the tail and 24 " on the wings. Probably 10" longer than needed in both cases but I've filled a shopping cart and over a foot 12 inch increments seem to be the norm for ready made.
zoomer260 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer260
Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by zoomer260
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

I forgot to mention that mine is orange and is veerry nice yah. Need Yapaleno in the morning now !
Also shipping is cost of gas if you go pick it up like I did. For me $55 at $2.99 a gal. But in all fairness I would have to include the shopping trip for the wife at the outlet mall we tried to pass on the way back ? Nah. I was lucky I got mine on road trip !!
zoomer260 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer260
Last edited by zoomer260; 02-04-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:23 AM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsnap View Post
Well the ply is named ply for a reason, it could be 45degree 90degree etc, and oh I think 2, 3, 4, 5 all the way to 7 + layers. I will tell you this that box is laminated and carries through the wing tube where another picks up from there. Why add spruce when it is tabbed all the way around. Spruce won't do anything but add unneeded weight. Lets not pick it apart when you haven't seen the true build.

All up weight on the prototype with a bit of gas is 17lb 6oz, using futaba 9451's on all surfaces but the big boy on Rudder. 3mm 53cc engine with stock muffler..l

Flies great, it was windy but I put 3 flights on her and rung her out a bit. Extremely doscile, flies light, no roll coupling and no pitch in knife edge. It will do great rolling harriers and if I could T.R. better it would have no problem. Full elevator in any throw level will not cause a full stall, will have to work on this for IMAC.

That 3mm was swinging a Vess 23A with unlimited vertical, just not a great acceleration while going upward.

Of course this is coming from the guy who sells them, so go easy on me.

Sorry for the quip on the ply, I hate when somebody looks at a pic and decides something is wrong. I would hire an engineer but I want the project finished within the alotted time frame, for less then 4x's the initial budget, and it had to work the first time (it has) not after the third retrofit.

Scott
I understand the frustrations of cost vs schedule.
I also design and engineer aircraft for a living. I have built hundreds of planes from way back in the day when we built'em from little sticks. I have designed and built fully molded sailplanes and molded Gassers... unlike a lot of people who think they know... I am one of the few who does know.... ( http://www.uav.com )
Your plane is not unlike many other models I have seen. Your structure might be light... compared to other airframes... but it is still not optimized. There are a lot of other engineers like me who would prolly give you sound engineering advice for free if you talked nice to us and maybe blew in their ear. The structure of these planes as generally built is actually very straight forward. The fuselage is a truss. the wing is a beam with torsional considerations... really... 3 hours tops and you can have soo much information on what is required structure... the only really difficult part would be predicting flutter.... but good practice and past experiance can attenuate much of that.
I know you don't like having your product ragged on... who does???
But I would hope you are an advocate of Continuous Improvement.

I will give you two hours FREE Engineering consulting on your next project!
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 02-04-2008, 02:28 AM
PTS
Find More Posts by PTS
PTS
Super Contributor
ROSWELL, N.M.
Joined Jan 2006
316 Posts

Quote:
I understand the frustrations of cost vs schedule.
I also design and engineer aircraft for a living. I have built hundreds of planes from way back in the day when we built'em from little sticks. I have designed and built fully molded sailplanes and molded Gassers... unlike a lot of people who think they know... I am one of the few who does know.... ( http://www.uav.com )
Your plane is not unlike many other models I have seen. Your structure might be light... compared to other airframes... but it is still not optimized. There are a lot of other engineers like me who would prolly give you sound engineering advice for free if you talked nice to us and maybe blew in their ear. The structure of these planes as generally built is actually very straight forward. The fuselage is a truss. the wing is a beam with torsional considerations... really... 3 hours tops and you can have soo much information on what is required structure... the only really difficult part would be predicting flutter.... but good practice and past experiance can attenuate much of that.
I know you don't like having your product ragged on... who does???
But I would hope you are an advocate of Continuous Improvement.

I will give you two hours FREE Engineering consulting on your next project!

Mith,

From your view point of this plane and I assume what you are looking at is pictures and not an actual product, what do you see that bothers you? Are we able to make a improvement as a builder for future prevention?

Very Curious! I am not being a critic of your ability but I truly want to know. Scott is a very stand up guy and he would be the first to admit any errors.

Perry
PTS is offline Find More Posts by PTS
Old 02-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,939 Posts

Errors is a harsh word... rather "Missed opportunities"....
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by vsnap
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jun 2006
2,224 Posts

I was married to an engineer for 21yrs I almost got into the blue collar vs white collar argument but will refrain. Please post any suggestions you have, if they are good those that have a plane might be able to update them. We have had no problems todate with the structural integrity and have had multiple engineers go over the build and design of the airplane without a negative comment. Also a A&P that is quite the builder himself has gone over one very closely. I appreciate any concerns you may have and look forward to your suggestions.
Thanks
Scott
vsnap is offline Find More Posts by vsnap
Last edited by vsnap; 02-04-2008 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply