Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by ken6881
Henderson, Ky
Joined Aug 2008
1,767 Posts
Re: Eliminate throttle and choke linkage

Looks great..... I guarantee there is a market for this. And I will be first in line if you make one that will fit on a mintor 220 4 banger. it is almost impossible to set it up with out super long linkages
ken6881 is offline Find More Posts by ken6881
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by Pittsflyboy
Arlington, TX USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6881 View Post
Looks great..... I guarantee there is a market for this. And I will be first in line if you make one that will fit on a mintor 220 4 banger. it is almost impossible to set it up with out super long linkages
Ken,

Now you are really trying to challenge Vern.

Tom
Pittsflyboy is offline Find More Posts by Pittsflyboy
Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by Vern Smith
whiteroseeng.com
Naples Florida
Joined Aug 2006
311 Posts

The DA 100, 100L and 120 will accept the kit right now. The kit will work with the 85 but it looks like there will be interference between the servo plate and the engine mounting bolts and standoffs. I'm trying to find a local flier that has an 85 to check this out. I can always make a plate peculiar to the 85 but I don't want to do that until I get an idea about general demand. So far I've been kind of swamped with PMs. If I missed or did not reply to yours please remind me. It will be a week or so until I have everything gathered together to start shipping these. Have not come up with a firm price yet, still pricing some components, but it will be less than $100.00 with hardware and gaskets.

Vibration is an unknown. I have over 50 flights on one in my plane using the non digital 34** JR servos. I think they are 3421's that had the hell shook out of them in my pylon racers. They are not digital servos which I understand are more vibration resistant. No problems yet but 50 flights is not all that much. Everything will have to be assembled with Loktite 242. This is a Cardinal rule for anything using a two cycle engine. The Delrin servo hoops accept the standard self threading servo screws and they will not come out. Everything else will need loktite.

I'll try to keep everyone updated through this thread. Thanks for the interest, kind of caught me by surprise.
Vern Smith is offline Find More Posts by Vern Smith
Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by ckeene9
"That was Spectacular"
Oviedo, FL
Joined Oct 2008
343 Posts

Interested in a DA150 version.

And the JR3421 are digitals. I believe off the top of my head the JR3121 (not absolutely positive) are the non-digitals.
ckeene9 is offline Find More Posts by ckeene9
Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,173 Posts

Any issues mounting this on the rear carb on a da200?

Tony
vatechguy3 is offline Find More Posts by vatechguy3
Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by pryor808
Fast & Low
Originally from Puerto Rico but, live in NY. Go! Gabriel Altuz
Joined Nov 2009
3,459 Posts

Well! very innovative but, what about the heavy vibrations that the servo is going to see. Would shorten servo life?
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Old 02-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by 3D Master
Keep'em Flying Low!!
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2006
641 Posts

Very cool idea..
3D Master is offline Find More Posts by 3D Master
Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 PM
"That was Spectacular"
Oviedo, FL
Joined Oct 2008
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryor808 View Post
Well! very innovative but, what about the heavy vibrations that the servo is going to see. Would shorten servo life?
This may be a case where a JR3421SA might be used with the nylon gears to cut down on the gear slop from vibrations.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by rdgood
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jan 2006
2,041 Posts

Vern,

Has this new idea been flight tested or bench tested yet?
I see that it has - reread previous entries.

Very interesting indeed!!

Ronster
rdgood is offline Find More Posts by rdgood
Last edited by rdgood; 02-08-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 PM
"That was Spectacular"
Oviedo, FL
Joined Oct 2008
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Smith View Post
The DA 100, 100L and 120 will accept the kit right now. The kit will work with the 85 but it looks like there will be interference between the servo plate and the engine mounting bolts and standoffs. I'm trying to find a local flier that has an 85 to check this out. I can always make a plate peculiar to the 85 but I don't want to do that until I get an idea about general demand. So far I've been kind of swamped with PMs. If I missed or did not reply to yours please remind me. It will be a week or so until I have everything gathered together to start shipping these. Have not come up with a firm price yet, still pricing some components, but it will be less than $100.00 with hardware and gaskets.

Vibration is an unknown. I have over 50 flights on one in my plane using the non digital 34** JR servos. I think they are 3421's that had the hell shook out of them in my pylon racers. They are not digital servos which I understand are more vibration resistant. No problems yet but 50 flights is not all that much. Everything will have to be assembled with Loktite 242. This is a Cardinal rule for anything using a two cycle engine. The Delrin servo hoops accept the standard self threading servo screws and they will not come out. Everything else will need loktite.

I'll try to keep everyone updated through this thread. Thanks for the interest, kind of caught me by surprise.
It's been flight tested!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 AM
whiteroseeng.com
Naples Florida
Joined Aug 2006
311 Posts

Sorry about getting the servo numbers wrong. I'm using the 3021 and 3121, a friend is using two MN48's on his which are part of the JR sport line and cost about $30.00 each. I do have a 3421 new in the box which says digital on it. They are all in the same case with the same foot print. I'm sure there are better environments for a servo than this one but it can not be any worse than the gas helicopters. I'll get to the PM's this evening

Vern
Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by Jim Woodward
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 2006
1,206 Posts

Verne - excellent ideas! Would you consider a similar locally mounted servo for In-FLight-Mixture control?
Thanks,
Jim W.
Jim Woodward is offline Find More Posts by Jim Woodward
Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 PM
whiteroseeng.com
Naples Florida
Joined Aug 2006
311 Posts

I've thought about mixture control and it's certainly doable but it would be quite complex/expensive. As I'm sure you know, either needle effects the other. The real advantage to this is not being able to adjust the mixture with a servo rather than a Allen ball driver ( you are not using my mixture screws ? ) The hot set up is establishing a mix with the throttle as master and the mixture servo as slave. Set up a multi point curve in the transmitter and dial in the best sounding setting for multiple throttle openings in the air.

If you look at the photos I've posted you will see that the throttle plate shaft and the mixture screws are quite close together. The high speed mixture screw is only 3 mm as I recall, so you cannot hang much mass on the end of it. Probably a nylon gear meshing into a companion gear on the servo output shaft. This way you could get ratio reduction and better modulation. As I said, doable but busy and expensive. If anyone wants to fund the prototype I'll be glad to make it. You get the prototype, your name engraved somewhere, and a life time supply of main gear wheels. You break a wheel, return it, and I send you a new one

Vern
Old 02-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by Jim Woodward
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 2006
1,206 Posts

Hi Vern - love the idea of the needles you are selling - but they don't fit a YS170 I'm out of a gas plane at the moment but look forward to having a Dalton Yak put together this spring. My idea would be to use the mixture servo in order to establish the best tune, then disable it. IE - would only want it enabled for specific flights. I use the same transmitter for heli's, F3A, SA, so I wouldn't want to have one application potentially be wrongly set for another.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim Woodward is offline Find More Posts by Jim Woodward

Quick Reply